Header image

Palitoy 20-backs with damaged bubbles

Ask expert collectors for advice on pricing items.
DarthDooDoo
New User
New User

Palitoy 20-backs with damaged bubbles

Postby DarthDooDoo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate your help with putting a value on some figures I've been holding onto for a couple of decades!

I bought these at a collectors fair in Manchester around 1990 for a few pounds apiece. The cards are in good condition but they all have badly damaged bubbles. To be honest I've always wondered if they're strictly "legit" but presumably 1990 was well before there was any sort of market for counterfeits?

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the photos, there's not a lot of natural light in the one room of the house where I'm allowed to stash "daddy's toys" away from the sticky fingers of my kids!

Here are the first three:

(1) R5-D4 (Palitoy 20-back)
R5D4 front.jpg

R5D4 bubble.jpg

R5D4 back.jpg

(2) Greedo (Palitoy 20-back)
Greedo front.jpg

Greedo bubble.jpg

Greedo back.jpg

(3) R2D2 (Palitoy 12-back)
R2D2 front.jpg

R2D2 bubble.jpg

R2D2 back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarthDooDoo
New User
New User

Re: Palitoy 20-backs with damaged bubbles

Postby DarthDooDoo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 pm

..and the next three...

(4) Snaggletooth (Palitoy 20-back)
Snaggletooth front.jpg

Snaggletooth bubble.jpg

Snaggletooth back.jpg

(5) Hammerhead (Palitoy 20-back)
Hammerhead front.jpg

Hammerhead bubble.jpg

Hammerhead back.jpg

(6) Walrus Man (Palitoy 20-back)
Walrus Man front.jpg

Walrus Man bubble.jpg

Walrus Man back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarthDooDoo
New User
New User

Postby DarthDooDoo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 pm

..and last but not least....

(7) Death Star Droid (Palitoy 20-back)
Death Star Droid front.jpg

Death Star Droid back.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can give me!

Sideofstarwars
New User
New User

Postby Sideofstarwars » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Wish I could help you out with a valuation, but I can’t. They look great though. My favorite is Death Star Droid.
Leave me Feedback and it will be returned.
I've met some pricks in my life, but you, you are a cactus.
Health is not valued until sickness comes.

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 am

No expert but waffle pattern looks good, but I'd be interested in a few so won't suggest on those, tbh your best bet is check the eBay listing
They are palitoy so expect a premium if the real deal

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 am

They look really good to me.
Not an expert on Palitoy card prices but these will be very desirable and worth a small fortune if the prices realised at auction are anything to go by!
There are some very clued up members on here to help you I am sure.
Congratulations you have a nice set of cards there.

DarthDooDoo
New User
New User

Postby DarthDooDoo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks very much for your replies! I'd assume the damage to the bubbles means they won't hit the same daft values that some of the Palitoy figures have been going for on eBay, but I'm no expert.

I've also got a full set of the last 17 figures with their original accessories (and POTF Romba / Warok / Anakin carded) - I'll try and get some pics of those sorted out as well.

At one stage I had a carded Yak-Face too, but with the wisdom of my teenage years I decided to open that one to fill out my Jabba's Palace display (*facepalm*).

dianoga77
Regular
Regular

Postby dianoga77 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:54 am

Hello mate some nice minty figures , i would say these could be the original figure/card combo? but taken out for display purposes back in the day maybe? As figures go in this condition loose anywhere between £15-55 the way things are . With the card and figure combo £100-150 each maybe more for the harder ( better condition ) cards 8)

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am

There is certainly value in them but no where near the recently finished auctions. After speaking to a friend and taking a closer look the figures look to have all been removed from the cards. They are missing the footers as well as the bubble damage.
You will be looking at the price for good to great loose figures and probably £50-100 per card on top as a rough ballpark

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks Carl for pointing out the obvious!
Small screen on a phone and no attention to detail on my side.
The missing footers should have rung alarm bells.
Sorry to mislead.

Fishtalk
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Fishtalk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm

Some nice figures you have - all 100% real but opened and figures removed for play back in the day. Still sought after though, Palitoy 20 backs are always in demand, even in this condition. I'd say £80-150 each, more if you had the original 'footers' or if the bubbles had been sliced open at the top. Shame you don't have a Power droid, he's the hardest to find and would fetch more. But you'll do well if you're selling, and will see a healthy profit on your initial outlay of a few pounds each!

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 pm

I picked up the 4 cantina aliens with cut bubbles last year for about 90 a piece so I'd recon they might go for the higher end of Carl's estimate although bum face seems to be missing the bottom part so might be a bit less.

Mine had the footers but we're missing the nameplates

DarthDooDoo
New User
New User

Postby DarthDooDoo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:22 pm

"bum face" :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your extremely helpful advice - it's good to know that I haven't been hanging onto them all these years in vain!

I'll be selling my whole collection over the next couple of months, so it's really useful to know in what general area I should be pricing these. The figures themselves are in pretty much pristine condition (perfect stickers on R5 and R2, bright plastic and no wear & tear) so I assume they were either on display or stock that got damaged at retail somehow.

I took a few photos of my other 3 carded figures as well - these are Trilogo / POTF so I assume not quite so sought after...

(1) Anakin Skywalker - MOC Trilogo
Anakin Skywalker front.jpg

Anakin Skywalker back.jpg

(2) Romba - POTF (bubble cracked at top, sliced at bottom)
Romba front.jpg

Romba bubble bottom.jpg

Romba back.jpg

(3) Warok - Trilogo (bubble sliced at bottom)
Warok front.jpg

Warok bubble.jpg

Warok back.jpg

The slicing of Romba and Warok was done by me...I really need to invent a time machine and go back to have words with my younger self! :evil:
Last edited by DarthDooDoo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I think you'd average £100 each for the opened SW cards - no idea on the last 17, but probably not a massive premium over mint loose as most collectors are looking for loose over cheap carded.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:36 am

Oh bummer. Would have paid you a really good price for Anakin if the rest of the Toy & Hobby sticker has been in place :) He's around £80 in that condition (crease across the card). £90 on a good day, although he's by far the most common Trilogo L17.

Romba is about £50-£55 at he is. Warok is more desirable so probably looking at around £75-£70 now.

Your 20 back Palitoys will easily find a nice home. There's a few here who would be interested in buying them all on one go as it represents a much cheaper way of putting a 20 back run together. You'll do well with those.

Word to the wise: beware Private Messages with offers. It's like ending an auction early on ebay: if the price was what it's worth then the buyer would be willing to bid knowing they'll win it. If you do list here make sure you list a price rather than "make me an offer".

Return to “Vintage Valuation Requests”