Palitoy 20-backs with damaged bubbles

DarthDooDoo

Padawan
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate your help with putting a value on some figures I've been holding onto for a couple of decades!

I bought these at a collectors fair in Manchester around 1990 for a few pounds apiece. The cards are in good condition but they all have badly damaged bubbles. To be honest I've always wondered if they're strictly "legit" but presumably 1990 was well before there was any sort of market for counterfeits?

Apologies in advance for the poor quality of the photos, there's not a lot of natural light in the one room of the house where I'm allowed to stash "daddy's toys" away from the sticky fingers of my kids!

Here are the first three:

(1) R5-D4 (Palitoy 20-back)
View attachment 8
View attachment 7
View attachment 6

(2) Greedo (Palitoy 20-back)
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3

(3) R2D2 (Palitoy 12-back)
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

coomber75

Sith Lord
No expert but waffle pattern looks good, but I'd be interested in a few so won't suggest on those, tbh your best bet is check the eBay listing
They are palitoy so expect a premium if the real deal

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
They look really good to me.
Not an expert on Palitoy card prices but these will be very desirable and worth a small fortune if the prices realised at auction are anything to go by!
There are some very clued up members on here to help you I am sure.
Congratulations you have a nice set of cards there.

DarthDooDoo

Padawan
Thanks very much for your replies! I'd assume the damage to the bubbles means they won't hit the same daft values that some of the Palitoy figures have been going for on eBay, but I'm no expert.

I've also got a full set of the last 17 figures with their original accessories (and POTF Romba / Warok / Anakin carded) - I'll try and get some pics of those sorted out as well.

At one stage I had a carded Yak-Face too, but with the wisdom of my teenage years I decided to open that one to fill out my Jabba's Palace display (*facepalm*).

dianoga77

Padawan
Hello mate some nice minty figures , i would say these could be the original figure/card combo? but taken out for display purposes back in the day maybe? As figures go in this condition loose anywhere between £15-55 the way things are . With the card and figure combo £100-150 each maybe more for the harder ( better condition ) cards 8)

lejackal

Grand Master
There is certainly value in them but no where near the recently finished auctions. After speaking to a friend and taking a closer look the figures look to have all been removed from the cards. They are missing the footers as well as the bubble damage.
You will be looking at the price for good to great loose figures and probably £50-100 per card on top as a rough ballpark

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks Carl for pointing out the obvious!
Small screen on a phone and no attention to detail on my side.
The missing footers should have rung alarm bells.
Sorry to mislead.

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Some nice figures you have - all 100% real but opened and figures removed for play back in the day. Still sought after though, Palitoy 20 backs are always in demand, even in this condition. I'd say £80-150 each, more if you had the original 'footers' or if the bubbles had been sliced open at the top. Shame you don't have a Power droid, he's the hardest to find and would fetch more. But you'll do well if you're selling, and will see a healthy profit on your initial outlay of a few pounds each!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I picked up the 4 cantina aliens with cut bubbles last year for about 90 a piece so I'd recon they might go for the higher end of Carl's estimate although bum face seems to be missing the bottom part so might be a bit less.

Mine had the footers but we're missing the nameplates

DarthDooDoo

Padawan
"bum face" :lol:

Thanks to everyone for your extremely helpful advice - it's good to know that I haven't been hanging onto them all these years in vain!

I'll be selling my whole collection over the next couple of months, so it's really useful to know in what general area I should be pricing these. The figures themselves are in pretty much pristine condition (perfect stickers on R5 and R2, bright plastic and no wear & tear) so I assume they were either on display or stock that got damaged at retail somehow.

I took a few photos of my other 3 carded figures as well - these are Trilogo / POTF so I assume not quite so sought after...

(1) Anakin Skywalker - MOC Trilogo
View attachment 7
View attachment 6

(2) Romba - POTF (bubble cracked at top, sliced at bottom)
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3

(3) Warok - Trilogo (bubble sliced at bottom)
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

The slicing of Romba and Warok was done by me...I really need to invent a time machine and go back to have words with my younger self! :evil:

maxf

Jedi Master
I think you'd average £100 each for the opened SW cards - no idea on the last 17, but probably not a massive premium over mint loose as most collectors are looking for loose over cheap carded.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Oh bummer. Would have paid you a really good price for Anakin if the rest of the Toy & Hobby sticker has been in place :) He's around £80 in that condition (crease across the card). £90 on a good day, although he's by far the most common Trilogo L17.

Romba is about £50-£55 at he is. Warok is more desirable so probably looking at around £75-£70 now.

Your 20 back Palitoys will easily find a nice home. There's a few here who would be interested in buying them all on one go as it represents a much cheaper way of putting a 20 back run together. You'll do well with those.

Word to the wise: beware Private Messages with offers. It's like ending an auction early on ebay: if the price was what it's worth then the buyer would be willing to bid knowing they'll win it. If you do list here make sure you list a price rather than "make me an offer".

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hi,

Nice looking set of 20 backs and as someone who has put my own set of reseals together over the years I've been tracking on ebay the sold prices for these since early 2013.

I think it's fair to call these reseals as they must have all been opened at some point due to the missing footers and damage to the bottom of the bubbles but I can say the last prices these went for up to June of this year (which was the last time I looked and logged these prices from ebay).

R2 - A Back - just card and bubble missing top of bubble (no figure) - £84 BIN Feb 2017
A Back - Complete in good condition but no nameplate - £77 August 2016
B Back - Nice condition but no footer - £125 September 2015

R5 - No figure but nice conditioned card, bubble and footer - £100 March 2017 . I haven't seen many of these reseals around.

Greedo - Good condition but no footer - £125 Feb 2017
Not bad condition, no footer - £110 July 2016
Nice condition and complete - £80 August 2015Not bad condition, no footer - £68 October 2015
Not bad condition, no footer - £68 October 2015

Walrus Man - No figure, no footer or nameplate - £11.06 July 2015. Now there's a cheap one!
Complete and card ok but bubble in bad shape - £57 Feb 2015

Hammerhead - No figure, no footer or nameplate - £7.51 July 2015. Now there's another cheap one!
Pretty good one, not sure if it was a real footer - £78 November 2014

Snaggletooth - Really nice one but with no footer -£68 Jan 2016

Death Star Droid - Nice condition and complete with footer but no figure - £120 BIN Accepted June 2017
Top of bubble sliced so nice but no figure or footer - £65 Jan 2015

These are all the relevant prices I have and there may have been a few more recent sales but you would need to do a sold search on ebay under Star Wars Palitoy.

Hope this is of some help and I'm looking to upgrade my Hammerhead so please do think of me once you're ready to sell.

All the best with it .

Ian

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
Some good advice. Hoping these come up for sale on here and that we all have a chance of getting some.

DarthDooDoo

Padawan
Thanks again everyone for some really helpful advice! Looks like I've got some homework to do on eBay! :D

I was wondering what the price sticker was on Anakin, thanks ScruffyLookingNH! I seem to remember my mum found that one for me on a market stall, maybe Toy & Hobby had offloaded their unsold stock there? Thanks also for your guidance on Romba and Warok.

Many thanks Palifan for your hugely detailed post - I took a look at the most recent sales and saw a DSD cardback (no bubble) in worse condition than mine sell for £70 last month!

I'll do a bit of checking around and post these up for sale when I've worked out the figures. Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest in them so far!

John

dianoga77

Padawan
HI with regards the 20bks if i was you i would list them as auction and throw caution to the wind :)

DarthDooDoo

Padawan
Thanks dianoga. I've never actually sold anything on eBay before (bought plenty of stuff though!) but maybe it's time to dip my toe in the water!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom