Header image

Din I get conned selling

Ask expert collectors for advice on pricing items.
Dorsetmark
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Din I get conned selling

Postby Dorsetmark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:48 pm

You weren’t conned if you were happy at time
I sold a complete set of loose and carded bits for £1000. Crap now but at time seemed ok to me.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Put it down to experience bud, you were selling, you got £300, so it's not the end of the world.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but always best to look forward, no point in dwelling on it and regretting spend the £300 on something that you really want and your a winner :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I wont go on another Facebook is the devil rant but Facebook is the devil
But yes you got your pants pulled down good and proper, but the again you don't need to be a genius to suss that out, a quick scan of ebay if you know nowhere else would have told you that
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby StarWarsFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Why ask after? Worth more the £300 i'm afraid to say.

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you Forum

This is so nice of you and far beyond my expectation of answers.
I totally agree I was stupid as stupid as it can be. and a deal is a deal.

To answer a few of your questions about the upside down research:
I agreed with him he would get first dips if he gave me a fair price. So I just went there by car and figured he would know what he did and by
"fair price" we agreed on a bit lower than european market price and then a bit lower again cause he was buying the bulk, I didn't think much of it until a friend of mine poked me and told me about YAK face.

Actually he gave me £200 for starters as his "professional evaluation", but after I texted him saying that some of the rare figures are supposedly worth more. He instantly gave me £100. That raised my suspicion about the whole deal and I started to research and found ebay prices and found this place.

Too bad. But what Martin Sith writes is spot on how I think I should feel. But it is so hard =))

Pros:
1)At least he is a collector. and I made him happy.
(what made him the most happy was the mint condition shoulder bag of Empire strikes back made in 1983 (which was part of the deal and I can't find anywhere on the internet...) Pretty cool to flash at conventions.
2)I found this wonderful forum.
3)It peaked my interest in collecting vintage sw figures again. :)

I hope to be a pleasant part of the forum although it is(was) a brutal start.
best wishes Kris
Last edited by choffialoopa on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:38 pm

you should kept it and started buying things you never had as a kid thats what i did and thats how collecting started for me all those years ago :)

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Yeah Poncho

But now every purchase is a big victory in my collection, which is down to a broken C3PO who keeps dropping his right leg, a capeless weaponless wobbly Darth Vader. A painted Stormtrooper, Chewie without any gear, and a Boba Fett smashed into who knows what in the spicemines of Kessel (my parents porch when I was a kid) which my dad glued together after I cried about my irreversible action.

I made sure my collection is easy to improve and the journey will be full of big sensations :lol:

My signature will be "£200. Solid estimate" =))

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:08 pm

I still think it would be good to share the guys name and the group he "runs"

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:05 pm

choffialoopa wrote:
Actually he gave me £200 for starters as his "professional evaluation", but after I texted him saying that some of the rare figures are supposedly worth more. He instantly gave me £100. That raised my suspicion about the whole deal and I started to research and found ebay prices and found this place.

This is the part that gripes me.... there are loads of people out there that class themselves as experts.... when basically they know naff all. Just because they have collected for 2+ years, they know it all. I know for a fact, that most of the 'admin' on some groups were not around even 10 years ago.

Rebelscum was 'the' forum to be on back in the early to late 90's, and there were some 'real' experts on there... luckily most of them are still around on niche FB groups.

£300 is a very lowball offer for that lot... the buyer (so called expert) should hold their head in shame... Chances are they'll be shifting on very quickly and make the money you should have got.

I certainly agree with the other guys here.... a name and shame should be made.
Wanted - Boxed Lili Ledy Speeder Bike

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm

I am still unsure as to what happened here - you went into a FB group - spoke to an admin and promised him the sale if he gave you a valuation ? Surely you would have been better getting someone else to value it rather than the buyer ?
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:16 pm

itfciain wrote:I am still unsure as to what happened here - you went into a FB group - spoke to an admin and promised him the sale if he gave you a valuation ? Surely you would have been better getting someone else to value it rather than the buyer ?

I smell a rat.......
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Mr-shifter wrote:
itfciain wrote:I am still unsure as to what happened here - you went into a FB group - spoke to an admin and promised him the sale if he gave you a valuation ? Surely you would have been better getting someone else to value it rather than the buyer ?

I smell a rat.......

I Din smell one to.

Ian

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeah. Getting advice from the buyer sounds bad now you put it in writing. But he seemed genuinely trustworthy and I hope for the sake of humanity that his knowledge was just very outdated which is why karma prevent me from revealing his name.(yet)

But it is a true story and no rat. I don't know what is implied by rat as I am from Scandinavia.

But I could post a photo of my empty table with just my few broken figures left. But that just hurts.

I know now I made the stupidest decision ever. Even worse than dr. Evazan facing obi wan... at least I still got my arms.

In time I will confront him though and ask how he concluded 200£ and react accordingly (maybe name shame here)

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Imo whoever bought this from you has done nothing wrong. He offered you money and you accepted. I would only agree that the buyer has taken advantage if you have some kind of mental disability or learning difficulties and i dont mean this at all to be nasty.

Maybe I'm just the most shallow or honest person here but if i could get that lot for £300 i would take it. I dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on the items i would like so if i could get them cheap i would. Same as any collector in any range of items property antiques.

If you really cared for these items you wouldn't have sold them and if you needed the money you should have done the research .

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:39 pm

was it the echo base group?

Return to “Vintage Valuation Requests”