Header image

Din I get conned selling

Ask expert collectors for advice on pricing items.
theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Din I get conned selling

Postby theforceuk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Stubbs wrote:Imo whoever bought this from you has done nothing wrong. He offered you money and you accepted. I would only agree that the buyer has taken advantage if you have some kind of mental disability or learning difficulties and i dont mean this at all to be nasty.

Maybe I'm just the most shallow or honest person here but if i could get that lot for £300 i would take it. I dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on the items i would like so if i could get them cheap i would. Same as any collector in any range of items property antiques.

If you really cared for these items you wouldn't have sold them and if you needed the money you should have done the research .

That’s all very well. But this buyer has low balled the seller with only one thing in mind and that’s a quick profit. Yes both parties need to take responsability and a job lot like this needs to go for a price where their is room for profit. But on this occasion it sadly looks like the buyer has completely taken the piss and to think he tried it on at £200!

What your saying is correct from a certain point of view, but not from the general view point of this forum. This sort of deal is exactly what pisses members on this forum off. To say the buyer has done nothing wrong is correct legally but morally it’s pretty low.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I do understand what you are saying from a moral point of view. But as far as I'm aware we have no evidence only an assumption that the buyer is going to flip the lot for profit.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Stubbs wrote:I do understand what you are saying from a moral point of view. But as far as I'm aware we have no evidence only an assumption that the buyer is going to flip the lot for profit.

True and I do usually think the worst. It may be that both parties were clueless, unlikely when the buyer jumped from £200 to £300 without hesitation. And then even if the buyer has brought it for his own collection, it’s still morally wrong. The only way I can see this being a good thing is if the buyer is going to give all the toys to charity or give the seller half of his profits. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 pm

choffialoopa wrote:Thank you Forum

This is so nice of you and far beyond my expectation of answers.
I totally agree I was stupid as stupid as it can be. and a deal is a deal.

To answer a few of your questions about the upside down research:
I agreed with him he would get first dips if he gave me a fair price. So I just went there by car and figured he would know what he did and by
"fair price" we agreed on a bit lower than european market price and then a bit lower again cause he was buying the bulk, I didn't think much of it until a friend of mine poked me and told me about YAK face.

Actually he gave me £200 for starters as his "professional evaluation", but after I texted him saying that some of the rare figures are supposedly worth more. He instantly gave me £100. That raised my suspicion about the whole deal and I started to research and found ebay prices and found this place.

Too bad. But what Martin Sith writes is spot on how I think I should feel. But it is so hard =))

Pros:
1)At least he is a collector. and I made him happy.
(what made him the most happy was the mint condition shoulder bag of Empire strikes back made in 1983 (which was part of the deal and I can't find anywhere on the internet...) Pretty cool to flash at conventions.
2)I found this wonderful forum.
3)It peaked my interest in collecting vintage sw figures again. :)

I hope to be a pleasant part of the forum although it is(was) a brutal start.
best wishes Kris

Hi Kris, you get some brutal feedback on this forum sometimes. I’m glad that after all that’s been said and been done you a) feel you have found a good forum - if you stick around you’ll get some great advice and maybe some good friends; and b) you’ve rekindled an interest in vintage. I was going to sell off my collection earlier in the year or at least all the doubles but I got sucked back in and then found this forum and have found the expertise and comradery second to none. Jay

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 pm

I feel like a total dummy.
Last edited by choffialoopa on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Thank you Jabbawookie. Brutal yeah but what Stubbs writes can't be argued. And it is not the end of the world.

Actually I am not normally like this. I am the opposite. Mindful of every detail (master rated in chess)

Must be my recent selling apartment, buying house, new job etc. that has overrun my circuit and turned me into a momentarily madman just to get rid of 3 boxes of toys in my new home.

Don't know what got into me.
If everything happens for a reason as Qui Gonn says
It must be because I should find you and wake up a 40 year old life defining era of my life.

I will close down in this thread and dedicate my time elsewhere on the forum and accept that I will always be remembered by the forum as the dimwit, while pondering on an adventurous way to expand my collection again while meeting likeminded fans. Conventions in U.K. And whatsnot.

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Yep. I believe I am correctimundo.
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 am

all depends on who you speak too... sounds like he may be collector but if there are multiples then surely will be selling them but maybe thats a way to make tye money back to upgrade and buy the rest of his collection, maybe it was too low but out of interest what would have been a fair price??

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am

I don't understand why you offered them to him for a fair price if you hadn't done any research? How could you have ever have known then if it was a fair price that he offered?
I think your alot smarter than that :wink:
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:34 pm

So this has probably been done to death now, but to summarise:

You shouldn't have offered them directly to him, there was no guarantee you'd get a fair price. His upping by £100 in a heartbeat was a tell-tale sign too. And you really should've done your research.

However... I would've expected much better from an admin on any reputable SW forum/group/facebook. They should be suggesting you list them for valuation instead. And, as others have said, it's very likely these'll be getting re-sold.

Don't worry, if you stick around you won't be known as the dimwit! What does puzzle me though is it sounds like you're talking about restarting your collection... but you've only just sold these. What's brought about the change of heart?

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Aye to that Peekaygee, and I agree to summary.

My interest got peaked again by browsing through posts here and finding it both "legit" to still tinker with toys at our age, and the enthusiasm it spurred in people here.

I envisioned it beeing a nice and relaxing hobby to slowly build a collection from C3-C6 versions of the figures and working my way towards a MMOC collection on 12 backs - 21 backs etc. (look I am learning tid-bids about the collectors language).

I will never get there but the journey will be lifelong and I hope to meet nice people from UK /Scandinavia /rest of Europe.
I already bid on a few items.

Cronker
New User
New User

Postby Cronker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 pm

If, as you say, the person you sold to is a collector and admin of a collector site, there is little doubt that he already has at least one example of everything in that lot. Therefore it is a no-brainer that he is going to flip some.
The fact that you had two General Landos there shows that even with just a couple of sales, he will make his money back and more.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 pm

You were a tad naive to allow the buyer to dictate the price, and that's being diplomatic. But feel free to share his name as I'm 100% sure he knew what he was doing.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Drakon
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Drakon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:02 pm

Why not just post the buyer's FB page at least?

StarWarsFan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby StarWarsFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:13 pm

No offence but if you ask me, the guy knew that the figures were worth way more then £300 and just played dumb and though right will try to get this lot for next to nothing. Have see it so many times at Toy fairs and car boot sales.

Return to “Vintage Valuation Requests”