Vinyl Cape Jawa

MTW

Youngling
Hi,

Complete newbie to vintage collecting / selling so I'm hoping someone can help me - there's so much variation on ebay its almost impossible to gauge the right ballpark value.

I have a vintage vinyl cape Jawa from childhood which I'll be selling as soon when it comes back from UK Graders and was wondering what people's thoughts were on price? Sadly it doesn't come with the weapon.

Pics attached

Thanks for any input!
Mark

Attachments

• 20180817_133214[1].jpg
    20180817_133214[1].jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,339
  • 20180817_133227[1].jpg
    20180817_133227[1].jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,335
  • 20180817_133236[1].jpg
    20180817_133236[1].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3,339
  • 20180817_133249[1].jpg
    20180817_133249[1].jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,336
  • 20180817_133322[1].jpg
    20180817_133322[1].jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,339
  • 20180817_133338[1].jpg
    20180817_133338[1].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,336

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Welcome :)

It'll be hard to give you an accurate price until we know what grade it receives. Whilst the cape looks legit not sure the figure is the right one, do you have a pic of the COO (Country of origin) on the back of the leg?

It might have been worth forking out an extra £20 to get a genuine gun to get it graded with although not sure if that will affect the grade anyway but nice to have in the case.

It'll be over £1000 either way so a decent return on your initial investment :)

MTW

Youngling
Thanks for your quick response. I don't have the COO details but have emailed UKgraders to ask before they put it in the box. Its definitely an original figure -its been in the loft for 30+ years. I'll update further info when I get it.

Hi Mark. The cloak looks good but the figure is wrong. Should have the "cutlet" thumbs and larger eyes. Mould family 1. Check out Wolff's guide here: https://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/coo-guide-3-0/anh/jawa/#a The coo should be 1a for a European released VCJ and 1b I believe for US releases. But I may be wrong on that. Be very careful in removing the cloak if you decide to put it on the correct figure as it can be brittle and split easily. Soak it first in some warm water and pinch the arms together while at 90 degrees behind the figure to remove and replace the cloak. 90% of the value of this figure is in the cloak and split arm holes will grade much lower. While in the warm water add a little dishsoap and a gentle rub with a toothbrush should remove any marks too. I'm not a fan of grading, but in the case of this figure I'd make the exception. best of luck with it :D

MTW

Youngling
That's so bizzare, as far as I remember I bought it new - Thanks for the info, I'll look into this some more then.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
MTW said:
Hi,

Complete newbie to vintage collecting / selling so I'm hoping someone can help me - there's so much variation on ebay its almost impossible to gauge the right ballpark value.

I have a vintage vinyl cape Jawa from childhood which I'll be selling as soon when it comes back from UK Graders and was wondering what people's thoughts were on price? Sadly it doesn't come with the weapon.

Pics attached

Thanks for any input!
Mark

Great figure Mark.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Mate you should have checked this all out before sending it to the graders. It will prob affect the price you'll get if it's the wrong figure and doesn't have a (correct) blaster. As the other guys mentioned they may not grade it at all and collectors may not want it. I wouldn't buy it for that sort of money, not because of the grade but because it's not right, it's not all there. Personally I'd get it back if you can before grading. Take Tarkins advice, clean the cape up. Pair it with the right figure and blaster and then send it back in if you want to :wink:

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
What is the correct figure and blaster the vinyl cape figure should have ? Any side by side pics of a vinyl cape figure next to a regular one ? Thanks.

MTW

Youngling
UPDATE

Yep, as everyone thought I should have come here first before sending to the graders. It failed. The Cape is good but the figure is wrong and obviously no weapon. I have absolutely no idea why its the wrong figure...it's been like that since childhood.

Sooo... I'm going to sell 'as is' and let someone who knows what they are doing put it all together.

Any ideas what kind of price I should ask for original cape and the wrong figure? Should I just sell the Cape only?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Mark

Palifan

Sith Lord
MTW said:
UPDATE

Yep, as everyone thought I should have come here first before sending to the graders. It failed. The Cape is good but the figure is wrong and obviously no weapon. I have absolutely no idea why its the wrong figure...it's been like that since childhood.

Sooo... I'm going to sell 'as is' and let someone who knows what they are doing put it all together.

Any ideas what kind of price I should ask for original cape and the wrong figure? Should I just sell the Cape only?

Mark

That's a hard thing to price, if it was me I would just find a large eyed Jawa with the right coo stamp, I think they're fairly common as they used them with the cloth cape version (I'm pretty sure about that anyway). I'm sure someone could point you in the right direction and then you could either get it graded or sell.

See what others think but it might be best to go the eBay auction route selling it as an original VCJ cape and explaining about the Jawa. If you want to sell on here though you will need a price so hopefully someone can help out.

Best of luck with it though whatever you decide to do.

Ian

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
MTW said:
UPDATE

Mark

PM Sent

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Could be well worth you sourcing the correct figure and a weapon yourself. The figure is pretty easy to find and not expensive. Put them together and you'll maximise your price.

MTW

Youngling
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Having a 6 week old baby means there's not much time for sourcing so I'm going to sell as is.

If anyone is interested in buying, please pm me an offer...I know it's very tricky to value though so if there's a massive range of offers I'll put it on ebay auction to make things fair.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
MTW said:
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Having a 6 week old baby means there's not much time for sourcing so I'm going to sell as is.

If anyone is interested in buying, please pm me an offer...I know it's very tricky to value though so if there's a massive range of offers I'll put it on ebay auction to make things fair.

PM Sent

MTW

Youngling
UPDATE - JANUARY 2019

Just a quick update - my VCJ has been finally graded by UKG and I've posted details and a request for suggested prices on the valuation requests section here:- http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38375

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom