Unseen Star Wars 1977 Poster by Tom Beauvais

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Tom-Beauvais-Star-Wars-1977.png

'Star Wars' painted by Tom Beauvais in early 1977 for the International release of Star Wars, is being exhibited and shown for the first time at the May The Toys Be With You exhibition.

As an organiser of the exhibition I have been fortunate enough to meet Tom Beauvais, a very humble man who has created some of the great poster art of the last century (Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, Fantastic Voyage, Blade Runner, Mad Max). Tom and his family have now created a limited edition run of 295 Giclee Prints of his stunning Star Wars artwork. These are UK quad size 30X40 and are hand signed and numbered by Tom, they also include a signed and numbered COA.

Tom-Beauvais-Signing.png

This is a wonderful artwork and in such limited numbers is a rock solid investment too I might add, it's also being sold at £50 off as an early bird offer and I wanted to bring this opportunity to SWFUK before it goes wider. This literally goes on sale today and if you have a spare £195 available then I would really suggest you jump on this as they may go quickly...

To read the story behind the poster, and to make a purchase - follow this link: http://spacefund.co.uk/star-wars-1977-tom-beauvais-print/

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
I love the vibrant colours in this poster and I love collecting Star Wars quads so a no-brainer for me! I've just purchased one :)

poncho

Grand Master
i dont know the fact is that i havnt seen this image before. but it is a thing of beauty :shock: the image of luke is great :)

good for you tom

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Some Tom Beauvais signed limited edition posters still available at the early bid price. One of Britain's greatest poster artists - make one of these lovely things yours by following the link... http://spacefund.co.uk/star-wars-1977-tom-beauvais-print/

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Section 8 said:
Very cool looking, but an extortionate price for what is ultimately a repro poster.

It's a high quality Giclee print, of an artwork that was created in 1977 to be the International quad poster but never actually produced, with a limited edition run of only 295. It is also signed by artist Tom Beauvais (Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Blade Runner, The Shining, Fantastic Voyage) and comes with a COA by the artist.

As a comparison look at the prints by Drew Struzan for The Thing, this was an edition of over 4000 prints and they sell for £300-£400 each.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Thing-Drew-Struzan-signed-art-screen-print-movie-poster-Mondo-Mondotees-/181941746931?hash=item2a5c92bcf3:g:hhUAAOSwwbdWLYSY

The rarity, the quality and the signature of a renown artist all combine to contribute to the value of a print, and I think if you look a bit deeper at the market you will find that it is priced very reasonably. It will normally sell at £245 but the current price is only £195.

Section 8

Sith Lord
They are all over priced. :D

Sorry to knock it, but is just my opinion. I've no doubt some will jump at the chance to own one. They are cool, but It's the old trick of creating something rare and charging a fortune for it. It's not really rare as they could print thousands and we all could have one for £20.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
It costs considerably more than that just to create one single Giclee print at quad size my friend, but it sounds like your grievance is with the art market in general. I might also add that the readers of this forum are all collectors of small plastic figures with a material worth of perhaps 1p... so value and material worth do not always allign! :D

Section 8

Sith Lord
I have no grievance, except maybe with royal mail and my wife. :D

Those 1p pieces of plastic are now 40 years old and cannot be recreated giving them a true rarity.

Anyway, good luck to Tom and anyone who buys one. It was not my intention to create a debate or to put anyone off.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I might also add that the readers of this forum are all collectors of small plastic figures with a material worth of perhaps 1p... so value and material worth do not always allign! :D

What!!!! I thought they were made of gold!

Lindo

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I might also add that the readers of this forum are all collectors of small plastic figures with a material worth of perhaps 1p... so value and material worth do not always allign! :D

What!!!! I thought they were made of gold!
Some of the buggers might as well be the price people charge for them

Palifan

Sith Lord
Well I'm one of the people who bought this poster so I guess I was ripped off? The end of the day it was something I liked and could see the value in. Unfortunately when it arrived the card board roll it had been shipped in had split and someone, somewhere had taped it back up. I can see what they were doing but they ended up taping the back of the poster as well! I did manage to get the tape off of the back with little damage but there's a very slight crease in the poster where I guess the impact happened that split the roll.

This is the third poster I've ever bought online and two have arrived with damaged rolls (both have this same crease in). It's a shame things like this can't be sent out in slightly thicker packaging but it's always the risk you take with getting anything posted. Really not sure what I'll do with this Star Wars poster as the misses took one look and I can tell it's not going up in any of our rooms :lol: Maybe I'll just get it out to look at once a year to remind me how I was ripped off once :roll:

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
That's great that you got one Ian, but sorry to hear the shipping tube took a bang on the way though. If it warrants getting a replacement send me a pm and I'll sort it out for you.

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Love the colour palette he's used.
Although, I can see why 20th Century Fox went with Tom Chantrell's version.

IMHO, the composition is nowhere near as strong as Chantrell's.
Individually the characters look OK, but as a whole, something looks off.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I think Tom Beauvais would be the first to agree. He was a very close friend with Chantrell and worked with him for many years and will confess to being somewhat in awe of him. Chantrell's Star Wars is regarded as one of the top ten movie posters of all time, there is certainly no shame in coming second to that. Chantrell was an incredibly prolific poster artist, it ran deep in his blood.

Sadly when Steve Jobs released the Mac the industry changed very quickly. The artist with canvas and the paint brush was replaced by the designer with the mouse. You could move an X-Wing 2cm to the left or make an actor appear 15% bigger on the poster with a few clicks rather than having to do a repaint. Chantrell never lost his love for it and even though the work had dried up there are stories of him attending townhall poster swap meets anonymously to chat with hobbyists about the posters. He passed away in 2001.

I think it's really nice to see the 3 UK versions of Star Wars from '77 together.

Star-Wars-3-posters.png

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Well I'm one of the people who bought this poster so I guess I was ripped off? The end of the day it was something I liked and could see the value in. Unfortunately when it arrived the card board roll it had been shipped in had split and someone, somewhere had taped it back up. I can see what they were doing but they ended up taping the back of the poster as well! I did manage to get the tape off of the back with little damage but there's a very slight crease in the poster where I guess the impact happened that split the roll.

This is the third poster I've ever bought online and two have arrived with damaged rolls (both have this same crease in). It's a shame things like this can't be sent out in slightly thicker packaging but it's always the risk you take with getting anything posted. Really not sure what I'll do with this Star Wars poster as the misses took one look and I can tell it's not going up in any of our rooms :lol: Maybe I'll just get it out to look at once a year to remind me how I was ripped off once :roll:

Ian

I bought one of these as well. The first one that was sent had been poorly packaged and had indentations across the poster. I emailed Matt and he agreed to swap it with a replacement. I did ask if he could put it in a sturdier packaging and I'd pay the difference. When the second one turned up the poster packaging was damaged in the same way as yours Ian. Luckily mine hadn't been taped up and the poster was slightly smaller than the packaging so the damage was negligible. I was a bit miffed that Matt hadn't taken my advise on a sturdier package and now hearing that somebody else has had the same issue I think that maybe he should reconsider his packaging options.

Anybody whose going to spend £195-£245 on this should be aware that there may be problems with your delivery as Royal Mail and poor quality packaging have never been a good match :)

DCAT99

Hi there, I realise I am probably a year too late, but does anyone know if these are still available?

The website allows you to buy still, but I would have thought they would have sold out by now.

http://spacefund.co.uk/star-wars-1977-tom-beauvais-print/

Thank you :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom