ONE POST WONDER SELLING! PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU LIST ITEMS.

plantman

Sith Lord
Do not just join this forum with no introduction and try and promote your ebay listings.

The members of this forum are vintage collectors and its appreciated if you introduce yourself and your items for sale.

If you do post fakes or cheap modern rubbish you wont get a warm reception :)

please ask if unsure.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Andy, Emiel, Joe,

I reckon we just edit any threads from newbies that just post links to auctions, and send them a link to this thread.

phantom

Jedi Master
Is it possible to do the same as on some Star Wars 501st legionrelated forums where you are able to read but not to post in the sales section until you reach a set number of post ?

I think WhiteArmour doesnt allow anyone to post until they have 5 post in other sections of the forum

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Hi Richard. We just prefer new members to introduce themselves in the revelant thread and perhaps share some pictures of there collection if they have one no matter how big or small. Then after they have our respect and a bit of a repuation advertise there auctions. However Modern items dont gt any love on here and coupled with the fact your prices are quite expensive you wnt get any interest on here :)

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Dark Sith Lord said:
Hi Richard. We just prefer new members to introduce themselves in the revelant thread and perhaps share some pictures of there collection if they have one no matter how big or small. Then after they have our respect and a bit of a repuation advertise there auctions. However Modern items dont gt any love on here and coupled with the fact your prices are quite expensive you wnt get any interest on here :)
or anywhere as far as that's concerned.................everything Star Wars is not gold................ask guys with cases of Phantom Menace figures. :roll:

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
phantom said:
Is it possible to do the same as on some Star Wars 501st legionrelated forums where you are able to read but not to post in the sales section until you reach a set number of post ?

I think WhiteArmour doesnt allow anyone to post until they have 5 post in other sections of the forum

think thats best idea

Josh

Sith Lord
Me too, Jabba. Pretty sure they can do it easy enough also.

Make it so you can't even see the sales section without 20 posts or more. Problem solved.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
3rd'd 20 post b4 you can see the FS forums would keep spam at bay, massively reduce the forum post count, but keep spam at bay
scaled.php

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Actually been talking to Edd about the number of one post "what's it's worth?" or "buy my ****" wankers that we are getting ATM. The issue with a post limit before people can sell is it may just result in extra spamming/post count padding on other threads.
We'll just end up with 5/10/20 pointless posts on random threads till the person gets meets the post limit. Either that or us Mods will end up having to delete a whole lot of extra spam posts. Also not sure what would happen if someone has to post say 10 times before they can sell, but the majority of those 10 posts are Spam and we end up deleting them AFTER they have got their FS thread up and going.

Don't gt me wrong I'm ****ing sick of 1 post wonders who never contribute, and 99 times out of a hundred never even bother to say thanks, but I don't know if there actually is a full proof way of stopping it.

Thoughts?

Josh

Sith Lord
Seems to work okay on other forums mate.
The rule is, you can't make it up with spam posts or you get banned. Pretty simple really. :D
Surely when people join, a little email from Edd goes out to them welcoming them onboard etc? In that email should be a link to the forum faq, one would think.

If you can't give twenty quality posts... :roll:

Here is some help for people having trouble working out how hard it is to get twenty posts.

5-10 posts...Introducing yourself and saying hi.
1-5 posts....Checking out a few of the limelights.
1-5 posts...Bumping old posts they think they can contribute too.
1-5 posts...posting some pics of your own collection in the limelight section and talking about it.

Posts like "awesome", and "great" should not count towards your post count initially, and so should be removed.

Thanks for listening anyway, Weas. 8)

PGowdy

Grand Master
I don't think a poster would get to 10 pointless "count raising" posts before they were banned. Half the one post wonders we get seem to be people who don't realise they're doing anything wrong. This method would put an end to that. We'll always get spam whatever happens but with this rule you'll get less people coming on just to post a one off sale or ebay link. Plenty of other sites do it and it works for them.
I don't actually see a problem with people being able to read those threads in fact i can't see a good reason to block "browsers" and non members seeing what we have for sale but they just shouldn't be able to start a thread in those sections.
For what it's worth i also have no problem with one off valuation threads. I think that's half the reason that section is there and it really doesn't happen that often.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I did suggest to Edd that we send all newbies a list of forum rules and etiquette as well as a link to the how to post pictures thread.

I think we'll end up drafting a document/email to send to newbies and take it from there. Will have a think about it and may well post it on here so you guys can make suggestions/rip it apart.

TC-14

Sith Lord
Good evening all,

I have read your misgivings and understand your concerns. As I would possibly count myself as a 'one post wonder', being a somewhat lapsed Star Wars fanatic these past 25 years, having being hooked right from the start back in '77... I thought it best to introduce myself first before I made my request!

I'm Martin, and I've been a fan of Star Wars from the age of 7 when it burst onto the big screen almost to the day, 36 years ago. Obsessed from the word go, I made collecting of any related paraphernalia my obsession. Much of what I had saved my pocket money for was passed on to my nephews as they became old enough to enjoy them... subsequently, most of that was cleared out over the years as they didn't realise the value.

However, I did keep a few choice items back, and it is these that I wish to make you aware of now, should any of your members be interested:

This evening I have listed on eBay the program for the European Royal Charity Premiere of The Empire Strikes Back which was held at the Odeon, Leicester Square on Tuesday 20th May 1980. Also up for auction in a separate lot is my ticket for this event, which I attended with my mother at the tender age of 10 years old. What a night that was!

With your permission, I would be grateful if you would allow me to post a link on this site to these auction items, as I would obviously like them to go to an appreciative home.

I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter, whoever gets to read my rambling post!

Warm regards,
Martin

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
You're welcome to sell your stuff here Martin. Welcome to the forum. 8)

And maybe your time here will rekindle the flame. :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom