eBay seller sent me a repro

jasdev999

Jedi Master
Just won an auction on eBay for a R2D2 pop up light sabre, advertised as legit and turns out to be cheap shiny non bendy water sinking repro. Please watch out as the seller sold an imperial gunner and Awing pilot complete also. I have messages him but not opened a case yet. Any advise guys? Name and shame or wait for his reply?

Also he was charging £6.50 postage and I enquirer about this before bidding. The answer was that he uses expensive packaging. It came in a reused jiffy back, clumsily taped , sent Hermes tracked signed. Max £2 postage?

theslider

Sith Lord
jasdev999 said:
Just won an auction on eBay for a R2D2 pop up light sabre, advertised as legit and turns out to be cheap shiny non bendy water sinking repro. Please watch out as the seller sold an imperial gunner and Awing pilot complete also. I have messages him but not opened a case yet. Any advise guys? Name and shame or wait for his reply?

Also he was charging £6.50 postage and I enquirer about this before bidding. The answer was that he uses expensive packaging. It came in a reused jiffy back, clumsily taped , sent Hermes tracked signed. Max £2 postage?

Hermes tracked and signed for is £3.98 So a little bit of a rip off.

But open a case for the light sabre anyway.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Open a case. You should be able to claim the excess postage back, Ebay are pretty strict on that.

Pete is our expert on this, no doubt he'll chime in soon.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yes, open a case immediately. "Item Not As Described" (item is counterfeit/fake. I would like a full refund)
He'll get the message then.
Don't let him 'back-and-forth' you in the case. Just send the ****ing thing back and get a full refund. Remember, it's up to ebay not him. And ebay will find in your fa four 99.9% of the time.

mumbo

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
Yes, open a case immediately. "Item Not As Described" (item is counterfeit/fake. I would like a full refund)
Don't let him 'back-and-forth' you in the case. Just send the ****ing thing back and get a full refund. Remember, it's up to ebay not him. And ebay will find in your fa four 99.9% of the time.

And be sure to send it back recorded so he cant screw you over again !!

PGowdy

Grand Master
mumbo said:
PGowdy said:

And be sure to send it back recorded so he cant screw you over again !!

Yes but in an envelope so it only costs you about £2.60

jasdev999

Jedi Master
Jonwalton1975

So far he has responded promptly so I have no issues and is going to accept. I have opened up a case with eBay and am sending it back. I have named him just to warn others as he has sold a few high value last 17 in a week, so please check the weapons. Maybe he knows these are repro or maybe not.

Sparkysx also had dealings with him and the postage scam is still jarring.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
Yep, sold me a Lumat, was in ok condition, but not as good as stated. The auction listed royal mail 2nd class recorded and he sent it via myhermes non recorded, so he charged £6.75 and paid £2.38. Gave me a sob story about having two kids and doing his house up as an excuse for the 2 weeks delivery. He also said that part of the postage charge was for time and fuel, but according to eBay, you are not allowed to charge for this.

Haven't left feedback yet, have been mulling it over.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
Jon if you are a member on here, sort your **** out, word spreads fast and we are the main buyers of vintage Star Wars toys.

theslider

Sith Lord
sparkysx said:
Yep, sold me a Lumat, was in ok condition, but not as good as stated. The auction listed royal mail 2nd class recorded and he sent it via myhermes non recorded, so he charged £6.75 and paid £2.38. Gave me a sob story about having two kids and doing his house up as an excuse for the 2 weeks delivery. He also said that part of the postage charge was for time and fuel, but according to eBay, you are not allowed to charge for this.

Yeah, but eBay are utter cunts though! :D

PGowdy

Grand Master
sparkysx said:

Leave negative feedback. He is not allowed to charge for his time, petrol, sandwiches, comfortable walking shoes, sun-glasses cos it was a sunny day etc etc
Some on here have said they support this practice but for me it's no better than a scam. He owes you that money. It was not his to take.

chazb73

Sith Lord
I can only echo what the experts are saying on this one mate - he's trying it on for sure - I've had several successes thanks to Pete's advice :D :)

jonwalton1975

Youngling
Hi everyone,

I am Jonwalton1975, I have been speaking with sparkyx over ebay email, so he will verify this is me.

Firstly, and most importantly, I wish to apologise to Jas, it was not my intention to sell him a fake weapon. I believe we have come a conclusion he is happy with.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, I have recently got back into trading after 20 years away. I used collect in the early 1990's when Jim Stevenson took out full page adverts in collector magazines, yak face was worth a tenner and you could still find him at car boot sales.

As we are after a little bit of extra spending money, given the crazy prices nowadays, I thought I could trade star wars on ebay, based on buying lots to selling individually / vice versa, or buy items ending mid morning, and resell to end sunday evening. I had no idea fakes even existed until recently. I still do not understand why someone would bother to copy a little toy weapon from obsolete toy lines. If i was to make copies of anything, I would make copies of Rolex and Omega watches.

I have just bought and sold at face value. If I have been asked a question about the authenticity of a weapon my stock response is 'I don't know'. I recently had a conversation with 'Sithcustoms' on ebay to this very effect, if he is on this forum, i am sure he will confirm this.

I'm learning...

I've come on here with my hands held up, and I have opened myself to all your responses. I hope you will read this post for what it is.

Again apologies to you all, i am happy to enter into individual dialogue with any of you over any item. Perhaps you could guide me on how to assure you about an items authenticity on a case by case basis.

Secondly, about the postage. And again after speaking with sparkyx, i realise there is a better way now. However, The R2 that Jas bough, honestly cost me about £6 to send. It was about a fiver to post and insure for £100, plus materials. I'm always having to buy bubble wrap and tape, ink for the printer and paper. I did use a recycled jiffy bag though. Also I did not realise there was such an issue over who you use to send the item. Royal mail have lost my stuff in the post, so I now use Hermes and i can leave them at my corner shop, however I didn't change that detail on ebay, as i didn't think it mattered...

It should state on my p&p details that I will post the friday after receiving payment...

Again apologies, I'll list as sparkyx advises...

in conclusion, please give me the benefit of the doubt. You should have no reason to post on here about me again negatively.

Thanks
Jon

jonwalton1975

Youngling
i've tried to leave a message, but its got stuck somewhere...

...this is partial test message to see if it gets through...

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
It's your first post so it needs mod approval. It's there now.

Kudos for coming on here to explain yourself. You will now get a lot of largely constructive advice. Don't take it as personal, but you have the oportunity here to repair your rep within this community.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

PGowdy

Grand Master
jonwalton1975 said:
Hi everyone,

I am Jonwalton1975, I have been speaking with sparkyx over ebay email, so he will verify this is me.

Firstly, and most importantly, I wish to apologise to Jas, it was not my intention to sell him a fake weapon. I believe we have come a conclusion he is happy with.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, I have recently got back into trading after 20 years away. I used collect in the early 1990's when Jim Stevenson took out full page adverts in collector magazines, yak face was worth a tenner and you could still find him at car boot sales.

As we are after a little bit of extra spending money, given the crazy prices nowadays, I thought I could trade star wars on ebay, based on buying lots to selling individually / vice versa, or buy items ending mid morning, and resell to end sunday evening. I had no idea fakes even existed until recently. I still do not understand why someone would bother to copy a little toy weapon from obsolete toy lines. If i was to make copies of anything, I would make copies of Rolex and Omega watches.

I have just bought and sold at face value. If I have been asked a question about the authenticity of a weapon my stock response is 'I don't know'. I recently had a conversation with 'Sithcustoms' on ebay to this very effect, if he is on this forum, i am sure he will confirm this.

I'm learning...

I've come on here with my hands held up, and I have opened myself to all your responses. I hope you will read this post for what it is.

Again apologies to you all, i am happy to enter into individual dialogue with any of you over any item. Perhaps you could guide me on how to assure you about an items authenticity on a case by case basis.

Secondly, about the postage. And again after speaking with sparkyx, i realise there is a better way now. However, The R2 that Jas bough, honestly cost me about £6 to send. It was about a fiver to post and insure for £100, plus materials. I'm always having to buy bubble wrap and tape, ink for the printer and paper. I did use a recycled jiffy bag though. Also I did not realise there was such an issue over who you use to send the item. Royal mail have lost my stuff in the post, so I now use Hermes and i can leave them at my corner shop, however I didn't change that detail on ebay, as i didn't think it mattered...

It should state on my p&p details that I will post the friday after receiving payment...

Again apologies, I'll list as sparkyx advises...

in conclusion, please give me the benefit of the doubt. You should have no reason to post on here about me again negatively.

Thanks
Jon

Nice post and welcome to the forum. Very glad to hear you've been able to work it all out with sparkyx. These things do happen. Just because you accidentally sell someone a repro it doesn't mean you're a con artist. I speak form experience when i say it can be very difficult to tell a repro from an original weapon. Especially if you're not an experienced collector.
With regards too the postage, if that's what it costs then that's fair enough. I don't think anyone has an issue when the seller is charging the actual cost and it's entirely up to you who you use to send the item. A quick screen shot of the email receipt you received from Hermes sent to sparkyx to show what you paid will clear your name in that regard.

Now you're a member here, if ever you have anything in hand again and you're not sure as to it's authenticity, don't hesitate to get in contact with the experienced group here. Post pictures and ask question and people will be more than willing to help. Could save you a lot of time and trouble in the future.

Again, welcome to the forum. Hope you still around.

Pete.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom