eBay and PayPal will be separate companies soon

poncho

Grand Master
on my ebay it says ''eBay and PayPal will be separate companies soon''

do you think this is a good thing? i could read the updated user agreements but i cba :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
As always these situations are dressed up as " natural progression" in a company strategic growth plan.

Ultimately Ebay and PayPal being under the same "umbrella" has become to set limitations at board level as each company operates in different business environments and therefore faces different competition in the market place and different barriers to growth plans within their respective markets.
It's all about the money in real terms, large multi billion pound companies are answerable to their shareholders, and they will jump ship to a better investment if they see pastures gren and static growth ( therefore an arrest to their investment growth).

Bothe ebay and PayPal see a clearer path in their respective market place via separation therefore a cleaner adherence to their respective growth plans.

As always it's follow the money

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think I was using Evilbay back before they bought PP, can't remember what it was like though.

The split/demerger is being forced on Ebay by activist shareholders I think.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Richard_H said:
I remember having to send cheques off for ebay purchases in the early days :lol:

Oh those were the days.

When I first sold off my collection I got loads of cheques through as payments. Paid all in and sent figures out. 4 months later my mum was clearing a draw out and found a cheque made out to me. Didn't have a clue what it was for. Mum contacted the bank of the cheque and somehow found out who the cheque was from and a phone number. Phoned the guy and it was for a loose Barada he had bought, received and was very happy with. Could have lost £50 my mum hadn't have found it.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
I remember sending cheques off, I was very hesitant to sign up to paypal at the start.

ODB

Jedi Master
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the split is down more to Paypal being more profitable than Ebay, so shareholders/investors and management were aiming to split them to increase the returns. I haven't seen the number that support this but I have seen that Ebay is no longer the rising star it once was, so it doesn't surprise me that certain factions would want to split out the better performing elements.

ODB

Jedi Master
I've done some more digging and one train of thought is that elements of management and shareholders believe that Ebay is holding back Paypal, they have a long term thought that Paypal should be getting into the app marketplace by being a financial transaction provider for apps. One train of thought is that Paypal could be sold to Google so that Google can tie it into its Android apps and try and isolate Apple's own pay software. Basically some stakeholders think they can make a big sort term return on selling it.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
sparkysx said:
I remember sending cheques off, I was very hesitant to sign up to paypal at the start.

I sold a Harbert on E-bay last month. The guy stated his Paypal account had been suspended temporarily because he had reached his limit to pay for goods until Paypal could further verify his account. He asked me if I would accept any other method of payment, I messaged and said cheque would be okay.

Now the guy lives in France, so I half expected the cheque would never arrive and I was right it didn't, instead he sent CASH IN THE POST, nearly £500!!! IN THE POST!!! He sent it tracked and signed and the cash was well disguised in an envelope within an envelope within an envelope, but still nearly £500 in the post :shock:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr. Bob A. Feet said:
No surprise there then as expected although maybe worth throwing some money at Paypal shares!

It all depends on your perspective and overview, change of this sort is subject to short term " knee jerk " reaction in the shares market and can prove profitable, but if you look at the bigger picture, the online market is still only a fraction of the retail market where shoppers shop in " bricks and morta" stores.

Amazon corner the market in online environment, but in my view, the ebay strategy is a clever one and long term.

For example, ebay are aligning themselves with large retail stores, and acting as a "bridge" for shoppers between online and bricks and mortar shopping

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Now the guy lives in France, so I half expected the cheque would never arrive and I was right it didn't, instead he sent CASH IN THE POST, nearly £500!!! IN THE POST!!! He sent it tracked and signed and the cash was well disguised in an envelope within an envelope within an envelope, but still nearly £500 in the post :shock:[/quote]

:lol: :shock:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom