Waiter, there's a fly in my .... MOC???

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
So I sell an ESB Lando MOC AFA graded 80 on eBay recently. Brought by a buyer in Italy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281913640279

The buyer then contacts me through eBay to say there is a tiny fly inside the bubble and wants a full refund!

Of course I'm like 'what?????' and basically refuse to refund as the postage costs would cripple the sale.

The question is, if he takes it to a dispute, do I have a leg to stand on??? And am I being out of order by refusing??

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Firstly, I think it's fair to say: what a tosser the buyer clearly is.

Secondly, that is one hell of a variant. Can't be many perfectly preserved genuine Kenner assembly plant flies left out there.

Finally, and in answer to your question..... it depends. You have indicated that returns are accepted and, as such, the buyer does not need a reason to return the item. I believe this also applies to international sales: if you agree to sell and ship there you agree to accept a return from there. You have, however, specified the buyer pays the postage costs of return. With them paying the shipping too and from you shouldn't be out of pocket? To be honest, I can't see why ebay wouldn't side with him given you accept returns.

If, however, he was trying to return it and claim both his initial postage cost and the cost of return, I'm very confident ebay would take your side and tell him to return it but at his expense. The item is not "significantly not as described" enough to warrant a return for that reason. Sounds like buyer's remorse to me.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I must admit I would not like a 1980's fly in my bubble. Ask him to send a photograph of it as proof.
If it's true you'll just have to bite the bullet since like said previous you accept returns.
You can then get on the phone to the graders and ask why the hell they didn't spot it - not sure what effects a foreign body has on grading but could they be at fault for not spotting it?
Sorry it's obviously not what you wanted to hear but folk can be picky about their collection.

sparkysx

Sith Lord
Ebay will most likley side with him if he can prove there is a fly in there, you will probably have to pay return postage aswell, as it's not in the description.

itfciain

Grand Master
Simon is right - basically buyers don't need a reason to return - if it is through buyers remorse then they will pay the return but if the seller points out something not described then you will have to take the hit - and eBay will enforce that

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
Not trying to turn this into an anti grading debate etc but it does make you wonder if they spotted it & if they did, what their view on it was. Surely the whole idea of grading is that you know what you are going to get when you buy a MOC of a certain grade.

I personally think it's pretty cool. It's certainly a talking point!

As for eBay & returns....I've read that the buyer has the right to return the item even if you say 'no returns accepted'

yoda

Sith Lord
That's a pity it's happened to you hope it works out ok. Funny when you bring that topic up I have a graded farmboy which has also what looks like a small fly or bug on his head. I am also baffled how this got there :?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
How big is this fly? By the way he's going on you would think Jeff goldblum was in there.

It just seems to highlight the fact that some people seem to look at the grades first, actual moc second. It's just a fly and it's been there for 35 odd years. It is what it is, part of the packaging process. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The grading however would.

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
How big is this fly? By the way he's going on you would think Jeff goldblum was in there.

It just seems to highlight the fact that some people seem to look at the grades first, actual moc second. It's just a fly and it's been there for 35 odd years. It is what it is, part of the packaging process. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The grading however would.

The size of a very small nat at the bottom of the bubble. for the record, I didnt send this for grading, it was brought like that as part of a collection.

I am going to take the hit. Then probably keep it as i quite like the story :)

sparkysx

Sith Lord
The AFA should of spotted this, they are supposed to closely inspect every little tiny detail.

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
I sold an ESB 32 Yoda on eBay which had a fly in the bubble seal, very similar to yours. I mentioned it in the description but the buyer returned it as it said it was too off putting when it arrived.

I then sold it for a reduced price to somebody else who sent it to AFA. It, like yours, scored an 80 with subgrades of 80-85-85

It looks like:
- Kenner had some bug issues around the time they were producing 32 back cards
- Buyers don't like bugs in their bubbles
- AFA don't care if there is a bug in the bubble / don't notice they are in there (??)

Ed

yoda

Sith Lord
Guys I took out my graded Luke farmboy tonight and remembered this thread. This does look like some kind of small bug on his head. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
On the other hand is it possible something else is happening inside the bubble? Possibly I breakdown in the figure?
I have know idea what it is when I look closely at it :?
[im
146498631917338671908_zpsuvohwvng.jpg
g][/img]

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
If there's organic material in the bubble then a greater chance of rot and degradation over time? Dunno, not a scientist. I've got a weird white thing in my Han 12back MOC. IMO adds character.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom