vinyl cape jawas on ebay.

Joss

Padawan
Hi,
Could I get some advice, I'm looking to get that final figure. But typically have my concerns I could be buying repro.
Strangely
8 of these have just showed up on ebay, from the same seller.
I'm tempted but what I am looking for, or is this a bad route.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-Vintage-1977-Holy-Grail-VINYL-CAPE-JAWA-Kenner-Palitoy-Figure-N-Mint-/172823136899?nav=SEARCH

sparkysx

Sith Lord
Personally I wouldn't buy anything from him, he doesn't have a great rep on here and is over selling everything. He's also selling a Boba Fett that he stripped the paint off and trying to pass it off as a factory error, avoid.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Joss said:
Hi,
Could I get some advice, I'm looking to get that final figure. But typically have my concerns I could be buying repro.
Strangely
8 of these have just showed up on ebay, from the same seller.
I'm tempted but what I am looking for, or is this a bad route.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-Vintage-1977-Holy-Grail-VINYL-CAPE-JAWA-Kenner-Palitoy-Figure-N-Mint-/172823136899?nav=SEARCH

8 of them?!

Wow, either the seller has been stockpiling them or managed to figure out a spot on way of reproducing them. Something did seem off about the first one you put the link up for but looking at all the others they may well be the real deal. At least one of them has the right cross hatch texture that can be clearly seen but it's a shame there is some closer pictures of the others.

With the damage to most of them and the graded ones it does look like they are probably the real deal but you have to wonder with so many coming up for sale at the same time from the same seller. I can only think the seller needs some money quickly or maybe is selling up as it would probably be better to trickle them out than put them all up at once.

Really don't know quite what to say about them, I'm not aware of the seller but to my eye they do look ok so I think you'll have to make the best decision you can based on the advise you receive here.

Best of luck either way.

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
Nah I personally wouldn't trust it if it was me, you would think this seller would at least mention about the cross hatch pattern in the vinyl, but in this case he's not even showing a close-up pic of the pattern in a single one of those listings, that would be a huge selling point that you'd think he would do.

But on the other hand would he risk listing so many if they were all fake?, that would be some serious fraud and massive buyer comebacks there if they were all fake, so maybe there's a chance they're genuine.

I dunno though it still seems fishy to me! :?: *alarm bells*

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
What's the old saying...
If something looks to good to true it probably is!
:wink:

Palifan

Sith Lord
If you look at the second picture with the zoom tool you can sort of see the cross-hatch texture. I haven't got mine to hand to compare but this one certainly has enough bids to make me think others think it's good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-Vintage-1977-Holy-Grail-VINYL-CAPE-JAWA-Kenner-Palitoy-Figure-MINTY-/172823221057?hash=item283d111341:g:tCkAAOSwstJZUaJk

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
Oh yeah I can see it on that one now, funnily enough isn't that the only one out of all his other VCJ auctions that has high bids on it?

subzero

Sith Lord
There's a chance it could be an Australian Toltoys Jawa which has a darker cape ( something I learned about in this forum a couple of weeks back ).

The bids are so high on the lot already so people are willing to take the risk for the chance the Jawa is genuine. The things that point towards it being possibly genuine for me is 1. the seller clearly doesn't know what the last 17 Luke is otherwise he would have at least mentioned it in the description or listed it separately, so it's highly plausible the Jawa is genuine too mixed into the same lot. And 2. the rest of the capes/accessories on all the figures look genuine, and 3. why would somebody go through the hassle to get a repro vinyl cape to put on a paint worn beater Jawa?

I think there's a strong chance this guy could genuinely have found this in the loft not knowing it's importance. I also messaged this seller the other day and he said they were from the loft in his grandparents house so they must have been his dad's from when he was younger, which means it's highly likely they went up in the loft well before they even started making repro vinyl capes.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
I've noticed he's used the same pictures for some of them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/vintageplanetarium/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

some of these have the zippy look to the capes

I'm very tempted in taking a gamble, if it turns out to be fake he accepts returns and I get a refund, no harm done I guess?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
There's a chance it could be an Australian Toltoys Jawa which has a darker cape ( something I learned about in this forum a couple of weeks back ).

The bids are so high on the lot already so people are willing to take the risk for the chance the Jawa is genuine. The things that point towards it being possibly genuine for me is 1. the seller clearly doesn't know what the last 17 Luke is otherwise he would have at least mentioned it in the description or listed it separately, so it's highly plausible the Jawa is genuine too mixed into the same lot. And 2. the rest of the capes/accessories on all the figures look genuine, and 3. why would somebody go through the hassle to get a repro vinyl cape to put on a paint worn beater Jawa?

I think there's a strong chance this guy could genuinely have found this in the loft not knowing it's importance. I also messaged this seller the other day and he said they were from the loft in his grandparents house so they must have been his dad's from when he was younger, which means it's highly likely they went up in the loft well before they even started making repro vinyl capes.

I am not sure that this is something from his loft, if you look in his feedback of what he have sold in the past. Then you can see he have sold a lot of star wars toy. I think the figure is there to push up the price and that the cape is a cut kenobi cape.

subzero

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
subzero said:

I am not sure that this is something from his loft, if you look in his feedback of what he have sold in the past. Then you can see he have sold a lot of star wars toy. I think the figure is there to push up the price and that the cape is a cut kenobi cape.

Hmm that is obviously very possible, I didn't think to look at his feedback for previous items.

Will be interesting to see what the lot goes for and if/when it get's returned by the buyer and relisted again lol.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
subzero said:
Pomse2001 said:
subzero said:

Hmm that is obviously very possible, I didn't think to look at his feedback for previous items.

Will be interesting to see what the lot goes for and if/when it get's returned by the buyer and relisted again lol.

Yes it will be interesting, but I don't think seller will take it back if buyer learn that the cape is a cut kenobi. Seller do not write about the jawa in the add he only write everything is vintage and a cut kenobi cape is vintage :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
He know what he is selling look at what he have sold in the future

VINTAGE STAR WARS TAUN OPEN BELLY HAN SOLO & GUN HOTH FIGURE WITH RARE COO ERROR

A guy who do not know about star wars and have just found it on the loft do not know about coo or coo error.

yoda

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
subzero said:
Pomse2001 said:

Yes it will be interesting, but I don't think seller will take it back if buyer learn that the cape is a cut kenobi. Seller do not write about the jawa in the add he only write everything is vintage and a cut kenobi cape is vintage :D

I always check the feedback of the sellers other sales myself sometimes if I feel something isn't right. I feel the pictured Jawas for sale using using all the same pictures don't have the original vinyl capes. I agree with Lars it's the way its listed. He actually doesn't claim they are original capes with the cross sections but that they are vintage. From the previous sales and what is listed the seller clearly understands vintage toys and their values. So for gaining maximum attention they would have stated more information about the cape clearly and close up pictures known that these can reach over £1000 each. It's only my gut feeling I could be wrong but if anyone was going to bid I would pm the seller for more information and pictures of the cape first.

subzero

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
subzero said:
Pomse2001 said:

That's a good point, especially being that it's a private seller.

subzero

Sith Lord
yoda said:
I would pm the seller for more information and pictures of the cape first.

If it does happen to be genuine then you'd run the risk of him ending the auction to relist the Jawa for £1000 after you bring it to his attention :lol:

yoda

Sith Lord
subzero said:
yoda said:
I would pm the seller for more information and pictures of the cape first.

If it does happen to be genuine then you'd run the risk of him ending the auction to relist the Jawa for £1000 after you bring it to his attention :lol:

That is true :lol: but I somehow suspect this seller is well aware of the vinyl cape Jawas and what to look for to gauge it's true value : especially when he's listed so many :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom