jedi_rebel

Padawan
Is this shill bidding?

59BC88C5-35FE-4A00-98DF-DC6E8286CA7F.png

7D44CE2D-14F3-4703-A9AA-E876B8F421A1.png

A0E6FEDC-9AA8-44FC-B250-B2D0081B0E4F.png

apack7229

Sith Lord
I would say so just by how many times they bid in a row. Also since they are brand new it wouldn't have been hard for the seller to make an alternate account.

subzero

Sith Lord
Could be shill bidding, but also could possibly just be a genuine bidder, sometimes iv'e found brand new ebay members can be a bit of a loose cannon when it comes to bidding and they can get a bit carried away in their early days. But the fact he's only bid on 3 items that all happen to be from the same seller does seem suspicious, but again it's not conclusive.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ive had newbies to ebay bid on my auctions before and they seem to think it is better to keep bidding by the small increment ebay set rather than just whack their top bid in and be done with it.

Does look sus especially with a rare item, but could be genuine.

choffialoopa

Padawan
I fall in all those categories.

Since I am located far away I find sellers who have lots of stuff I want to bid on to get combined shipping.
So I usually spam bid on more than one of their auctions when the clock is ticking into the last minute.

Crumm

Padawan
Does ebay push your maximum bid up in increments?

IE: if the auction is currently at £100, the other guy has a maximum of £200, and you put on a maximum of £210.

Does ebay test the water in increments Like £110 = fail, £120 = fail, £130 = fail etc right up to £210 which would take highest bidder. Because if it does then that looks like what happened above. The time stamps between the bids seem pretty close together.

jedi_rebel

Padawan
Crumm, no these were individual bids. Not auto bids. I know what you mean but these were definitely individual bids.

I agree with all the previous comments, about new buyers and how they bid.

Bidder only bid on 3 items in the last 30 days all from the same seller. It can happen but this looks suspicious in my opinion. If this was a new ebayer would they be trying to buy rare Star Wars items from the same seller ONLY, and would they know what the going price is? Also they didn't win any of the auctions and in two were second highest bidders, by quite a way! (Also one item had a retracted a bid and was allowed to bid again).

Suspicious... but I agree with others can shill bidding be ever completely proved conclusively... I don't think it can.

apack7229

Sith Lord
Ebay could look at the ip addresses for the seller and the suspect buyer but apart from that there wouldn't really be a positive way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom