Header image

this is why my figures are in a dark room

Post links to your own or other people's Ebay auctions. It is fine to discuss live auctions, but DO NOT post links to closed auctions for at least 7 days after the listing ends. See sales forum rules for details.
Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

this is why my figures are in a dark room

Postby Lindo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 pm

why do people leave figures in direct sunlight, what a waste, in my eyes this is pretty much fucked now
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-Vi ... Swor1aaOvE
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Merrion
Regular
Regular

Re: this is why my figures are in a dark room

Postby Merrion » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Agree. I also leave most of my collection in a dark room.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 pm

I saw this earlier. It would have been a real beaut at AFA85. Surely he noticed it fade over time?

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:07 am

Modelers loft in Bournemouth have their vintage star wars items by the front door which is mostly made of glass. So sad to see items fade or discolour. They had/have a Greedo MOC that is so badly sun damaged, you would think that they would move the display away from the door. But every time I visit, it's still by the front door faded even more than before.

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:00 am

That is sad to see and such a waste of what once must have been a great moc. It does make you wonder what some people must be thinking when displaying their items.

Ian

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 am

That's quite an interesting MOC as the acrylic cases are supposed to be something like 90% UV resistant. Clearly it hasn't worked this time

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:44 am

The seller might as well have displayed it outside in his garden all summer, what a waste!

Unfortunately when some people hear it's 90% UV protective they believe it will be immune to sunlight, even if it's 99.99% UV protective it will still be affected if left in direct light for long enough.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:52 am

My display is in a room with one window, and due to its location it doesn’t receive direct sunlight. Does anyone know is ambient sunlight bouncing off the walls would effect items? I was thinking of getting UV film to go on the windows - does anyone know much about it? How much it costs, how easy to install, how effective it is? It’s not a room I can just shut the curtains in as it doubles up as mine and the other half’s office.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:My display is in a room with one window, and due to its location it doesn’t receive direct sunlight. Does anyone know is ambient sunlight bouncing off the walls would effect items? I was thinking of getting UV film to go on the windows - does anyone know much about it? How much it costs, how easy to install, how effective it is? It’s not a room I can just shut the curtains in as it doubles up as mine and the other half’s office.

Ambient light should be fine if the cases have 90% protection anyway, as long as direct light never hardly touches them you should be fine, all my MOC's are against a wall that never faces the sun so they should be alright however I haven't had mine for long enough to know if they're getting affected yet, if there are any UV light experts on here i'd love to know a definite answer.

I don't know anything abut UV film though, but as a guess surely it can't cost too much, but i'm guessing it would be similar to applying tint film to a car window only easier as there's no curve to a house window.

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 am

there was a luke bespin with a crushed bubble on ebay a couple of years ago with worse sun fading than this one, I was really tempted as it looked really unique, went way over my price limit in the end
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:My display is in a room with one window, and due to its location it doesn’t receive direct sunlight. Does anyone know is ambient sunlight bouncing off the walls would effect items? I was thinking of getting UV film to go on the windows - does anyone know much about it? How much it costs, how easy to install, how effective it is? It’s not a room I can just shut the curtains in as it doubles up as mine and the other half’s office.

I bought uv film off ebay for my glass display cabinet, it was about 20 quid and just sticky back, pretty much like tinting car windows, but then keep the curtains shut anyway
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

I know they were going to talk about displaying collections on the VR podcast. It would be really interesting if they expanded it to cover the effects of sunlight and lighting systems on figures, MOCs and boxes.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Lindo wrote:

I bought uv film off ebay for my glass display cabinet, it was about 20 quid and just sticky back, pretty much like tinting car windows, but then keep the curtains shut anyway

I'd love to do that for my Detolf cabinet but if there was even a single tiny bit of dust under it then it would drive me completely insane looking at it. :lol:

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 pm

The twin suns of Tatooine shine bright

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm

subzero wrote:
Lindo wrote:

I'd love to do that for my Detolf cabinet but if there was even a single tiny bit of dust under it then it would drive me completely insane looking at it. :lol:

Or a big greasy fingerprint, air bubble or fold, but I think your right the dust is the worst :)
I don't flush the toilet, I scare the shit out of it. ~Chuck Norris~
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball~

Return to “Ebay Listings”