Header image

this is why my figures are in a dark room

Post links to your own or other people's Ebay auctions. It is fine to discuss live auctions, but DO NOT post links to closed auctions for at least 7 days after the listing ends. See sales forum rules for details.
subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: this is why my figures are in a dark room

Postby subzero » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 pm

yoda wrote:
subzero wrote:
Lindo wrote:I bought uv film off ebay for my glass display cabinet, it was about 20 quid and just sticky back, pretty much like tinting car windows, but then keep the curtains shut anyway

I'd love to do that for my Detolf cabinet but if there was even a single tiny bit of dust under it then it would drive me completely insane looking at it. :lol:

Or a big greasy fingerprint, air bubble or fold, but I think your right the dust is the worst :)

And then aligning it perfectly too and only getting one shot at it, and even if it could peel back off if you make a mistake the static would attract tons of dust.

But yeah it's air bubbles from dust particles that make me angry, I couldn't even avoid that when applying a small PSP screen cover. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 pm

I have fitted UV film to my windows and it's not that difficult. With the kind I bought you use diluted Johnson's Baby shampoo (seriously!) as a slip solution to help slide and adjust the film into position. It's easily available on eBay (the film and the shampoo ;-)), however I'm paranoid about UV damage because I know just how harmful it can be, so I also keep the curtains closed too since even low levels of UV will damage non light-fast inks over time, which means your cards and boxes WILL fade eventually if exposed.

It makes me weep when I see fantastic collections displayed anywhere near sunlight. I absolutely do NOT trust them simply being out of direct sunlight, as UV can and does reflect just like visible light (and if you stop and think about it, why wouldn't it?). You are able to see into the corners of your room which don't receive direct sunlight because they receive reflected visible light, but they also receive some reflected UV. It's at a much, much lower intensity obviously, but that's not the same as receiving zero UV.

Here's an article about surfaces that reflect UV. It's talking about outdoor surfaces like paint reflecting UV, but the same principle still applies to that amount of UV light that your window glass fails to absorb: https://www.uvdaily.com.au/blog/reflected-uv/

TK-7785
Regular
Regular

Postby TK-7785 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:22 am

choffialoopa wrote:The twin suns of Tatooine shine bright

Clearly much brighter than the owner of this MOC.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies...
ROTJ Store Display Items

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:30 am

Snaketibe wrote:I have fitted UV film to my windows and it's not that difficult. With the kind I bought you use diluted Johnson's Baby shampoo (seriously!) as a slip solution to help slide and adjust the film into position. It's easily available on eBay (the film and the shampoo ;-)), however I'm paranoid about UV damage because I know just how harmful it can be, so I also keep the curtains closed too since even low levels of UV will damage non light-fast inks over time, which means your cards and boxes WILL fade eventually if exposed.

It makes me weep when I see fantastic collections displayed anywhere near sunlight. I absolutely do NOT trust them simply being out of direct sunlight, as UV can and does reflect just like visible light (and if you stop and think about it, why wouldn't it?). You are able to see into the corners of your room which don't receive direct sunlight because they receive reflected visible light, but they also receive some reflected UV. It's at a much, much lower intensity obviously, but that's not the same as receiving zero UV.

Here's an article about surfaces that reflect UV. It's talking about outdoor surfaces like paint reflecting UV, but the same principle still applies to that amount of UV light that your window glass fails to absorb: https://www.uvdaily.com.au/blog/reflected-uv/

Thanks for the great “kinky” tips for fitting UV film to the windows Jeremy. How do the windows look with the film on? Also great link to UV reflection. I imagined it did so only have stuff on display behind acrylic at the moment.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:37 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Thanks for the great “kinky” tips for fitting UV film to the windows Jeremy. How do the windows look with the film on? Also great link to UV reflection. I imagined it did so only have stuff on display behind acrylic at the moment.

You wouldn't even know the film was on really. There's different types of film available with varying levels of protection (and not just against UV, but also film which reduces heat transmission if your room is too hot, tinted films, etc.), but the one I've used in that room blocks virtually all UV and is completely untinted, so you wouldn't even know it's there once fitted.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Do you have a link to that particular one please?

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:13 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Do you have a link to that particular one please?

Sure. I bought it from eBay seller called 'solar-guard', and the direct link is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Fading- ... 1329751781

As you will see, they do several different types of film. I chose the 'Clear UV' because I didn't want a tinted window, but did want to drastically cut UV. However, I had always intended to also use curtains in that room and to keep those closed as a 'belt and braces', so I can't honestly report on the product's effectiveness, only what it is supposed to do. Also, I bought mine in 2016, and I'm afraid I had forgotten the exacts specifics of each different film, so make sure you read the description to choose whichever one is best for you :-)

It's also very important to note that whilst these films block almost all UV, if you leave items in direct sunlight, they will eventually fade, even with the film; it will just take a lot longer.

The same company has a website selling the same products for the same prices (http://www.evowrap.co.uk), and I actually bought an installation kit from there to do mine, although to be honest, it's not very good value, so take a look at what comes in it to see whether you already have the necessary bits and pieces:

https://www.evowrap.co.uk/basic-window- ... lation-kit

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I will have a good read and keep you posted of any progress.

Return to “Ebay Listings”