R5 recard?

subzero

Sith Lord
Is this a fake card?, straight away it doesn't look right..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Figure-1979-R5-D4/292495749853?hash=item441a1af2dd:g:h6MAAOSw5TpatTTb

tigerham

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Is this a fake card?, straight away it doesn't look right..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Figure-1979-R5-D4/292495749853?hash=item441a1af2dd:g:h6MAAOSw5TpatTTb

I know what you mean as the top looks a tad weird colour wise and the edge and punch hole look to be a bit suspect.

But saying that, the bubble looks authentic and in areas you can see the correct type of gloss on the card in the right light.

Tough one as the image quality is poor.

Shame the seller has not sold anything for a while as nothing in completed listings and nothing SW in his feedback.

tigerham

Sith Lord
After some research I would say fake as looks like the wrong corners in the bubble along with a much shorter stem...

RB1.jpg

Plus punch looks wrong and looking at the edge wear from experience in doing Customs that looks like a fake edge wear...

RP.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree the photos do make it look odd, but I'm pretty sure it's real. Despite the front of the card looking like it has a flat matte finish in the photos, I think that's mostly the camera angle and the poor nature of the photo, and also possibly the card being somewhat faded. If you look at the card's left-hand edge, there are in fact multiple places where the card clearly has a glossy finish and is reflecting the light as you would expect a real card to do. Also, the card has convincing edge wear and stress lines, plus the blister is starting to yellow, and it would take a quite exceptional faker to make a really good fake, but then add a yellowed (and crushed) blister, complete with mangled footer :). I know that could technically be done to make a fake look more convincing, but I still think this is real.

The best way to be completely sure however is to contact the seller and ask them for several more photos showing the front and back of the card. That should very quickly reveal a glossy card front and matte card back if it's real, and generally make it much more obvious if there are any shenanigans on the seller's part.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
I agree the photos do make it look odd, but I'm pretty sure it's real. Despite the front of the card looking like it has a flat matte finish in the photos, I think that's mostly the camera angle and the poor nature of the photo, and also possibly the card being somewhat faded. If you look at the card's left-hand edge, there are in fact multiple places where the card clearly has a glossy finish and is reflecting the light as you would expect a real card to do. Also, the card has convincing edge wear and stress lines, plus the blister is starting to yellow, and it would take a quite exceptional faker to make a really good fake, but then add a yellowed (and crushed) blister, complete with mangled footer :). I know that could technically be done to make a fake look more convincing, but I still think this is real.

The best way to be completely sure however is to contact the seller and ask them for several more photos showing the front and back of the card. That should very quickly reveal a glossy card front and matte card back if it's real, and generally make it much more obvious if there are any shenanigans on the seller's part.

True as there do not seem to be any photos of the back for some strange reason.

I have had custom bubbles before and that looks like one with sharp rounded corners. (see my comparison photos)

tigerham

Sith Lord
Lastly the placement of the bubble on the card is off compared to the original. Quite a bit lower.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I think I need to change my opinion! You make a very good call on the blister stem length (something I should have spotted!), as this one is far too short (although I concede there might perhaps be shorter stemmed variants out there, even though I've never seen one). However, this is unquestionably fake due to a bit of very bad Photoshopping on the card's racetrack here, which I missed first time around:

eBay 01.jpg

My apologies for being fooled by a very rare fake card which actually has a glossy finish to it! :oops:

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
I think I need to change my opinion! You make a very good call on the blister stem length (something I should have spotted!), as this one is far too short (although I concede there might perhaps be shorter stemmed variants out there, even though I've never seen one). However, this is unquestionably fake due to a bit of very bad Photoshopping on the card's racetrack here, which I missed first time around:

eBay 01.jpg
My apologies for being fooled by a very rare fake card which actually has a glossy finish to it! :oops:

Very good call there. I was too busy distracted by the bubble. As far as I am aware the single stem bubble son the R2 and R5 are long in length and have not seen a short one like this, along with the corners.

subzero

Sith Lord
Great input guys, the first thing I noticed was just the general dodgy looking card finish, and then I can see very slight pixelation on the corners of the racetrack around the bubble.

But that photoshop 'join' in the racetrack is a good spot.

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
subzero said:
Do they do chest versions? :lol:
I'm not sure, but I think this one might be held on with pure 1970's... Either that or he's smuggling Tommy Boyd down his shirt.

Boyd 01.jpg

Stop stealing pictures from my facebook. :lol: :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom