Header image

I thought this was quite amusing...

Post links to your own or other people's Ebay auctions. It is fine to discuss live auctions, but DO NOT post links to closed auctions for at least 7 days after the listing ends. See sales forum rules for details.
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: I thought this was quite amusing...

Postby TK-7785 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 pm

subzero wrote:You know you're getting a shit ton of orders flowing in when you have to increase prices. :shock:

Just think though, once day grading vintage Star Wars will cease pretty much all together anyway when all the good quality stuff has already been graded, there's only so much to circulate through flippers and graded collectors really, in 10 or even 20 years grading could be over, then the only thing left to grade would be low quality figures and beaters. :lol:

It's a fair point. With only a finite number of MOCs left in the world, and presumably fresh MOCs are being graded on a daily basis, we might see a situation in the coming years where for those of us who don't wish to pay the graded tax are forced to do so. Kinda sucks balls really.

It's a very hard thing to judge and quantify but any quick scan through vintage collecting related YouTube videos, Instagram accounts etc you'll easily find numerous comments, whether from the author or viewers, with suggestions or intentions of "getting it graded". More so in the US it seems. Just take a look at any of Dallas Vintage Toys' YouTube videos, for example, where they gloat over their latest hauls. Without fail they talk about sending all but the beaters off for grading, and of course they can't do a video without talking about their in house graded collection. But then I suppose you get collectors of all types who like to get involved in dick swinging contests.

Chris
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:10 pm

There’s also been a six month wait to get loose figures graded for the last 2 years and they have only been excepting vintage Star Wars for loose submissions during that time. You have to remember as well AFA is a subdivision of Toygrader which also includes CDA, DCA and VGA!

Love them or loath them, it’s successful as a business. UKG have been VAT registered for a while now so that tells its own story as well. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm

It's not impossible to imagine a time when perfect ungraded items may become more valuable than graded ones, possibly leading to more graded cases being cracked open again. If the rate of bubble decay continues (and there's no reason to believe it won't :-(), who knows, perhaps in a few years' time when bubbles start falling off their cardbacks and figures through the bottom of their bubbles by themselves without the assistance of being posted anywhere, without the ability to support the bubbles, an awful lot of graded figures might need 'displaying' flat on their backs. And of course, graded MOCs getting destroyed in transit is constantly reducing the total number in existence all by itself right now. Mercifully, the number seems relatively low for now, but as time goes by and bubbles become more and more brittle, posting graded MOCs will become Russian roulette. And if that happens, being able to support the bubble will become essential, hence more graded cases being opened and the highest values switching back in favour of the ungraded ones.

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:I will never understand why graded stuff is more expensive :?

Graded or not, it still doesn't excuse the outrageous postage cost.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 am

TK-7785 wrote:
subzero wrote:You know you're getting a shit ton of orders flowing in when you have to increase prices. :shock:

Just think though, once day grading vintage Star Wars will cease pretty much all together anyway when all the good quality stuff has already been graded, there's only so much to circulate through flippers and graded collectors really, in 10 or even 20 years grading could be over, then the only thing left to grade would be low quality figures and beaters. :lol:

It's a fair point. With only a finite number of MOCs left in the world, and presumably fresh MOCs are being graded on a daily basis, we might see a situation in the coming years where for those of us who don't wish to pay the graded tax are forced to do so. Kinda sucks balls really.

It's a very hard thing to judge and quantify but any quick scan through vintage collecting related YouTube videos, Instagram accounts etc you'll easily find numerous comments, whether from the author or viewers, with suggestions or intentions of "getting it graded". More so in the US it seems. Just take a look at any of Dallas Vintage Toys' YouTube videos, for example, where they gloat over their latest hauls. Without fail they talk about sending all but the beaters off for grading, and of course they can't do a video without talking about their in house graded collection. But then I suppose you get collectors of all types who like to get involved in dick swinging contests.

Chris

Oh yeah definitely it is something that can't be tracked and documented anywhere near to what the real numbers are, but what IS certain is the supply of ungraded running to almost nothing one day, when though nobody can know but it's safe to assume that's where it's one day heading to.

Oh shit didn't think of that part, apart from the ungraded MOC's already being held up in people's collections then one day if you want to buy any more we may have no choice but to buy graded. :shock:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

tigerham
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby tigerham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 pm

subzero wrote:Oh shit didn't think of that part, apart from the ungraded MOC's already being held up in people's collections then one day if you want to buy any more we may have no choice but to buy graded. :shock:

...then break them free and the cycle starts again. :)

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm

tigerham wrote:
subzero wrote:Oh shit didn't think of that part, apart from the ungraded MOC's already being held up in people's collections then one day if you want to buy any more we may have no choice but to buy graded. :shock:

...then break them free and the cycle starts again. :)

haha true!
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Return to “Ebay Listings”