Header image

Ebay pop ups.

Post links to your own or other people's Ebay auctions. It is fine to discuss live auctions, but DO NOT post links to closed auctions for at least 7 days after the listing ends. See sales forum rules for details.
User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Ebay pop ups.

Postby Mini99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Does anyone else continuously keep getting pop ups appear when on eBay?
I have pop uos blocked, but this keeps happening, only on eBay.
8900B6FD-F8CF-433A-9FDF-0266BA3D1361.png
8900B6FD-F8CF-433A-9FDF-0266BA3D1361.png (71.53 KiB) Viewed 309 times

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1806
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 pm

I only ever view eBay on my PC, and I use Poper Blocker on Google Chrome and hence rarely see any ads or pop-ups of any kind, and none at all on eBay. If I saw what you are seeing on my PC, I would be very suspicious that I had a virus and would immediately run a full virus scan. However, it may be different with phone / tablet and especially Apple users, so hopefully this is nothing for you to worry about (annoying though it is), but hopefully someone more familiar with iPads than me can chip in to help :?

User avatar
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4831
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am
Contact:

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby lejackal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm

I've had that before on my phone, f***ING annoying

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I looked into this as I was getting it on my iPad. There were loads of recommendations for malware removal programmes and ad blocker software, but in the end I just did the following:

Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data

Not had it at all since :D

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Mini99 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I looked into this as I was getting it on my iPad. There were loads of recommendations for malware removal programmes and ad blocker software, but in the end I just did the following:

Settings > Safari > Clear History & Website Data

Not had it at all since :D

Thanks, it’s Jay, isn’t it?
I’ve done this in the past but I’ve already tried this but it didn’t work.
Supposedly a pad can’t get a virus?
Nick

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby subzero » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:29 am

Same with me I only ever use PC so don't get those pop ups, however what does piss me off is every single time I put an offer in on an item shortly afterwards I receive a message in my inbox, hoping it will be a seller counter offer or a reply from a seller iv'e been waiting for. Only to see annoying spam directly from ebay saying "How badly do you want ( insert item name )?" with a winking smiley face next to it and telling me to try a higher offer.

I can't get rid of the damn things, iv'e clicked on the option to stop receiving these which tells me I can opt out of them in my setting, but can't find a single setting anywhere to fucking get rid of it, I get this message every single time an offer is refused or countered by the seller :evil:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1376
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Lindo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Keep getting it on my ipad too
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Mini99 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Lindo wrote:Keep getting it on my ipad too

Thanks Lindo, this is so infuriating...I’ve stopped using eBay at present as it pops up every time for me at present!

User avatar
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby TK-7785 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Have you tried running some anti malware software in your iPad, Nick? You may well have some sneaky software/trojans in the background.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Mini99 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:08 pm

TK-7785 wrote:Have you tried running some anti malware software in your iPad, Nick? You may well have some sneaky software/trojans in the background.

I’ve had a look at different apps, can you recommend any?
Strange that it only happens on eBay.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1376
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Lindo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Mini99 wrote:
TK-7785 wrote:Have you tried running some anti malware software in your iPad, Nick? You may well have some sneaky software/trojans in the background.

I’ve had a look at different apps, can you recommend any?
Strange that it only happens on eBay.

is malware not a virus? thought Apple couldn't get a virus?
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

User avatar
TK-7785
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby TK-7785 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Lindo wrote:
Mini99 wrote:
TK-7785 wrote:Have you tried running some anti malware software in your iPad, Nick? You may well have some sneaky software/trojans in the background.

I’ve had a look at different apps, can you recommend any?
Strange that it only happens on eBay.

is malware not a virus? thought Apple couldn't get a virus?


That used to be true many, many years ago. But since Apple products are now so widely used that the bastards that make this nasty stuff make it so you can be affected whether you're a PC or Apple user.

Nick, I'm afraid I'm not an Apple user, so can't really recommend. But I'd suggest a Google for iPad anti malware software and see what come up. Or maybe best to search the app store and go by ratings.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

User avatar
theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5017
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby theforceuk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 pm

I've had this on the ipad but not the laptop, really annoying. :| :x
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Mini99 wrote:
Lindo wrote:Keep getting it on my ipad too

Thanks Lindo, this is so infuriating...I’ve stopped using eBay at present as it pops up every time for me at present!

Nick, do you ever use the eBay app? I don't get the pop ups on there and IMO it's awesome for surfing eBay for purchases, and also for selling. Granted you can't do some of the more complex seller admin on there but I just hop on over to the website for that stuff. The saved searches on the app are so much more user friendly. :D
Jay

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2188
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Ebay pop ups.

Postby Mini99 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:29 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Mini99 wrote:
Lindo wrote:Keep getting it on my ipad too

Thanks Lindo, this is so infuriating...I’ve stopped using eBay at present as it pops up every time for me at present!

Nick, do you ever use the eBay app? I don't get the pop ups on there and IMO it's awesome for surfing eBay for purchases, and also for selling. Granted you can't do some of the more complex seller admin on there but I just hop on over to the website for that stuff. The saved searches on the app are so much more user friendly. :D
Jay

Thanks Jay, I have started using it today, as I only get the pop ups on eBay I thought I’d give it a go.
It’s so much easier to use and the pictures are easier to enlarge etc.
Can’t recommend it enough to anyone else having this annoying thing happen.
Many thanks for the help, appreciated. :D
Nick.

Just wanted to add that touch wood the pop ups have now been cured by a forced restart.
If anyone else wants to try, hold the home button and the on/off button until the Apple logo appears and then release both buttons at the same time, then allow your pad/phone to re start.


Return to “Ebay Listings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests