Has Anyone Experienced This With eBay Before? (UPDATED)

indianawars

Sith Lord
I sold an item last week, item was posted on Tuesday and should have been received yesterday (I used Parcelforce24). The buyers PayPal and eBay address both matched, so that was the address I sent it too. It turns out that it was the buyer's old address, and I guess they never updated their eBay/PayPal address, so the item is now sitting at the depot. Does anybody know if they can collect it with just using an ID with their name on it?

I'm a little bit worried they'll open an item not received case against me, although I sent to the address on eBay and PayPal record. I know eBay tend to side with buyers, so this would be a great injustice if I'm forced to issue a refund through no fault of my own :? I was wondering if any of you guys had a similar experience, and what the outcome was?

I'm politely trying to help the buyer, but I feel as though it will end up with a case being opened against me...

subzero

Sith Lord
indianawars said:
I sold an item last week, item was posted on Tuesday and should have been received yesterday (I used Parcelforce24). The buyers PayPal and eBay address both matched, so that was the address I sent it too. It turns out that it was the buyer's old address, and I guess they never updated their eBay/PayPal address, so the item is now sitting at the depot. Does anybody know if they can collect it with just using an ID with their name on it?

I'm a little bit worried they'll open an item not received case against me, although I sent to the address on eBay and PayPal record. I know eBay tend to side with buyers, so this would be a great injustice if I'm forced to issue a refund through no fault of my own :? I was wondering if any of you guys had a similar experience, and what the outcome was?

I'm politely trying to help the buyer, but I feel as though it will end up with a case being opened against me...

Well there's one thing i'm certain of and it's that ebay will definitely side with you, it's the buyers responsibility to put their correct address into their order details, any bad feedback you can get removed or any case opened will go in your favour. Iv'e probably sold 2 things of low value in the past that didn't need a signature where the buyer gave me the wrong address and they messaged after I posted it telling me they put their old address in, so I basically told them it's tough luck there's nothing I can do about that, and it's now down to them to go and get their parcel from the address.

I don't know if the buyer can go and retrieve the item though, maybe if they showed them ID along with a utility bill from their old address then that might work?, i'm not sure. But if there's a case where the buyer doesn't / can't retrieve the package and it gets sent back to you then if I was you i'd cancel the transaction and refund them when you get the item back, and then tell them to put in their proper address and buy it again ( along with any postage cost to post it out again ). Because if it's an item of value and you post to an address different than what's on ebay/paypal and the buyer opens a case or pretends they never received it then you won't be covered by paypal even if it's signed for on delivery.

indianawars

Sith Lord
subzero said:
indianawars said:

Well there's one thing i'm certain of and it's that ebay will definitely side with you, it's the buyers responsibility to put their correct address into their order details, any bad feedback you can get removed or any case opened will go in your favour. Iv'e probably sold 2 things of low value in the past that didn't need a signature where the buyer gave me the wrong address and they messaged after I posted it telling me they put their old address in, so I basically told them it's tough luck there's nothing I can do about that, and it's now down to them to go and get their parcel from the address.

I don't know if the buyer can go and retrieve the item though, maybe if they showed them ID along with a utility bill from their old address then that might work?, i'm not sure. But if there's a case where the buyer doesn't / can't retrieve the package and it gets sent back to you then if I was you i'd cancel the transaction and refund them when you get the item back, and then tell them to put in their proper address and buy it again ( along with any postage cost to post it out again ). Because if it's an item of value and you post to an address different than what's on ebay/paypal and the buyer opens a case or pretends they never received it then you won't be covered by paypal even if it's signed for on delivery.

Phew, that's given me some hope. It was £190, so not a low-end item. Great tip, I will mention they might be able to collect it using an ID along with a utility bill from their old address. It's a business address which has moved locations, so they must have an invoice or statement with the old address.

lejackal

Grand Master
They won't give them the parcel without the red sorry we missed you card, however, as mentioned it's their fault and not yours in the eyes of eBay, you will win any case and although you should refund the cost of the item you should not have to refund the postage costs.

If they are still relatively local and actually know their old neighbors they could ask for a redelivery to them on the RM website. Other than that you are reliant on the RM employee breaking their own rules which is unlikely, however much common sense would suggest it's in the best interests of the customer to do so.

MightyMike

Padawan
If it's sitting at the depot, and no one can pick it up won't it get returned to sender after a week or 2?

Bit of a pain in the arse, but can't see how eBay can't side with you

subzero

Sith Lord
indianawars said:
subzero said:
indianawars said:

Phew, that's given me some hope. It was £190, so not a low-end item. Great tip, I will mention they might be able to collect it using an ID along with a utility bill from their old address. It's a business address which has moved locations, so they must have an invoice or statement with the old address.

No probs glad to be of help, also that's a good point what lejackal said about them needing the 'while you were out' card, however iv'e had several times though where a buyer of mine wasn't left a card in the door by the postman and they were still able to get the package, but that might have been done for a re-delivery not a collection, so be aware they still might not be able to collect it without the card. Could still be a small chance though they'd let them collect the package if they told them a card wasn't left for them, because sometimes the postman can forget to leave one so they could let it pass.

gammoguard

Padawan
A big plus in all of this is that it hasn't actually been delivered to the address and signed for by the new occupier - being at the depot in limbo is going to (eventually) help it going to the rightful owner.
There's actually nothing you can do in terms of getting it delivered, collected, redirected or returned - might be a case of waiting for it to be returned and then re-posting (at owners cost) back to the correct address.
As already mentioned, just a credit card without address is good enough proof of I.D. but without the 'Sorry you were out' card the person will not (normally) be able to collect - the only way it could go belly-side up now is if the person at the old address re-arranges delivery & signs for it.
Try contacting Parcelforce to explain the situation - explain that you are the sender (you'll have proof via the receipt of postage) and ask them to return/block any attempts of redrlivery (so that they eventually have to return it to you). At least they'll earn another cost of postage out of it all :D

sparkysx

Sith Lord
it's not your fault, you won't loose out. you have proof of postage to the correct address. I sold an rc car to someone for about £300, he won it on ebay, and paid. I paid for postage and after that he told me he was at a different address!! I told him I've bought the postage now and I won't send to a unverified address and he had to go and collect it from his old address.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I thought some of you guys might like to know that the parcel has now been delivered.
He was able to have it re-delivered to their new business location. :D

subzero

Sith Lord
indianawars said:
I thought some of you guys might like to know that the parcel has now been delivered.
He was able to have it re-delivered to their new business location. :D

Great news, glad you got it sorted!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom