Vintage and Modern collection

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Chiffy - read your post and was utterly blown away with your room - what a collection, fantastic mix of old and new.

I really enjoy displaying both together, love the vintage style card back and the memories they bring. I started buying modern figures to compliment my original vintage ones, loose figures look great stood in front of a modern vintage card.

What I really like is how initially people make the obvious comparison and highlight the new sculpts, paint jobs and detailing but after a few minutes they notice all the detail is also right there on the original figure as well - a figure or ship made in the 70's or 80's. The modern stuff actually showcases just how amazing our vintage stuff really is.

Only got back into collecting last few years (wife bought me a MR lightsaber as I had wanted a "real" saber since I was 5 and that was enough to get everything down from the attic) but loving every second of it.

15_zps316a36bc.jpg
3uk_zps08a60ceb.jpg

uk5_zps9953bd23.jpg
uk7_zpsae1c5509.jpg

2_zpsfa327aec.jpg
1_zps20688e61.jpg

10_zpsfea41d83.jpg
11_zps4488748d.jpg

stuk_zps3c92ba86.jpg
r2uk_zps4460bc82.jpg

11_zps5dcf6804.jpg
12_zpsd1863608.jpg

Tauntaunswfuk_zps3a55f6fc.jpg
uk4_zpsb0337479.jpg

9_zps7bde1478.jpg
14_zps1cdbb6ac.jpg

Cheers
Colin.

itfciain

Grand Master
Love it Colin - looks like you have a nice bit of space there - very keen to see this one grow :D

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Love the contrasts. I have the 2004-2007 vintage style figures and plan to display them side by side with their 80's counterparts one day, great stuff if you have the room I think that is an excellent way to go display wise.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cheers - my first modern vintage figure was the Saga Collection Stormtrooper in Hoth gear, spotted it when I was in holiday and made a right tit of myself getting all excited and dragging my wife and daughter over to see this "amazing figure" that looks just like my vintage one from the 80's. Loved how Hasbro put them in special hard protective cases (just as well as it nearly got squashed on the way home) The vintage style card backs were always going to be a winner for anyone in the 40's
Colin.

escapist

Jedi Knight
This looks fantastic! Its awesome to see the modern/vintage comparisons.

If they ever get the modern equivalents down for the vintage ones, a side by side show case would be impressive!

And, if you don't mind me asking, how did you mount the ships to the walls without damaging them?? I always thought I'd to dangle mine from the ceiling, but am scared to go through with it.

chiffy

Sith Lord
Awesome matey i love the modern sealed with the vintage loose look and as for getting over excited in front of the family, i've just this minute got back from the Liverpool VS Norwich match but we stayed over in Blackpool on the Friday night. Well you should've seen the lads getting the beers in whilst i snook off to B & M to grab a cheap B Wing pilot :lol: . Keep up the good work pal.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Great display :D

As has been said I love the comparisons and the ships on the walls and the vintage loose in front of the modern MOC's.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Impressive, most impressive!, got to be one of the nicest dispalys I have ever seen, you have really put some thought in to how you've done it, I would also love to see how you have mounted the ships on the walls, as I would love to do it with a couple of ships (roll on new side focus - another one), & I find the loose displayed in front of the MOC looks ace, I even like the modern comparrison ones :oops:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cheers for the nice comments :)

Mounting the ships on the wall definitely a classic bloke moment -
Looked at the bottom of the ships, identified various recessed screw holes, took lots of measurements, even made a few drawings, knocked up an elaborate system to mark my wall with the exact spots where the screw holes were. Went to B&Q bought wooden rods and threaded metal rods, drilled a few holes went to slid on the Falcon and it didn't work - my wife took one look at it, took a standard picture hook and some string and hung it up in 2 minutes :lol:

To be exact she looped the string round the back legs, pushed the back up inside the ship and hung the ship on it. To stop it hanging straight down she put in another picture hook which catches the front leg and holds it up at the right angle - nice and simple and no chance of damaging the ship.

For the Y Wing it's 2 picture hooks again - 1 where the front landing gear is recessed (not taking any weight just keeping the head up) and 1 hook behind the main body - there is a nice hollow underneath the arms that attach the engines. I wrapped a double loop of strong fishing line round the body and hung from the hook. It's practically invisible so looks great.

I have a modern Y Wing that I do the same with but I fancy the idea of hanging a ship (maybe a TIE) from the ceiling, reckon it'll look pretty good if I get the angle right.

Obviously I make sure my wife is around when I try :oops:
Colin.

Djbighair

Jedi Master
Colin

When I get this new house, you and I are going to kit it out.

As mentioned before mate, this is awesome. I can see that Baggie shelf filling up...

Where's my email you were sending the other night,...,oh yeah you spent all your time on here instead!

Awesome.

Rich

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Djbighair said:
Colin

When I get this new house, you and I are going to kit it out.

As mentioned before mate, this is awesome. I can see that Baggie shelf filling up...

Where's my email you were sending the other night,...,oh yeah you spent all your time on here instead!

Awesome.

Rich

If you think this is good you should see my vintage showcase - it's twice as big :lol:
Aye this forum takes up as much of my time as work now - I'll just have to work less :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom