Is modern finally catching on afternearly 20 years???

chiffy

Sith Lord
There seems to be an awful lot of buying and selling in this section at the moment. Well, compared to normal anyway. So, 95 onwards, we call it modern but it's nearly as old as Rumbelows shutting down, Neil Kinnock resigning and Middlesborough moving from Ayresome Park to the Riverside believe it or not! What's been the problem? The main points for me, before i gave in and now buy both modern and vintage, were having to justify paying the same price for a modern item as it would cost me for a prefared vintage item. Also, and you can tell me if i'm wrong or right, i think that even tho' the majority of peeps on here say they don't like modern, it's really a case of " it's actually ok but i would rather spend the money on vintage " and then slag it off kind of like the PS3 VS XBOX war because that's what particular corner they are in.
Let's be fair. Modern has advanced and they can make our dreams come true with certain lines that were not previously available. Also, the detail and size has come on leaps n bounds. None of it looks as good as vintage granted but it's not that bad is it?
Discuss.........

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I've said it one I've said a thousand times the modern line is cracking. What they can produce with moulds and painting and their understanding of design is so far from the 80's there is no comparison. What is a problem with the moder lines is that Hasbro plays to the collectors market so produces limited this and exclusive that and at the same time mass produces the main lines to death, so as a collector in it for profit it is very hard as the main lines hold little value and e exclusives have yet to settle into a steady after market price. Look at the comic con stuff, those figures tripled or ore in after price in the weeks and even twelve months after release and then dropped heavily as the next round appeared, but five or six years later they pick up a bit.
I think from a monetary point of view the modern market is just beginning to settle in and do believe there are items there that one day will rival vintage prices.
From a fans point of view what's not to love, the detail on the figs and ships are outstanding, we get versions of every character and more (maybe too much) and the boxing is great, there of a see though packages which means if you do collect you actually get to see the MIB item you paid for and that adds the enjoyment.
I may have sold most of my modern but it wasn't because I disliked it, far from it, I just ran out of space and had to make a sacrifice, and it was a sacrifice.
With more films and Disney now driving Hasbro's focus we can expect thousands more modern toys over the next ten year and I am sure that as toys they will keep improving in their designs and presentation, but it may be a while before the profits seekers market kicks in, but hey, collect for the love and enjoyment ;)

.Q.

Jedi Master
Don't think the modern stuff will ever rival the lure of vintage, but there are aspects, some mentioned, that have appeal. The variety of clone troopers, ewoks, astromechs for example look terrific displayed together.

I picked up a bunch of modern at the time of Phantom Man-arse onwards through the release of the new movies. A new character making it's debut often to me was the best scuplt. I trawled poundshops, supermarkets, factory outlets, ToysRus etc. and found loads of stuff for next to nothing. Even if I give the lot to my daughter when she's a bit older, £1 a go Ep1 figs are a steal compared to the £8 the lastest figs are new.

To pick out a few bargain finds - 1st issue Lego Slave 1 for £12 in Tescos, Ephant Mon for £2, Republic Gunship in Woolworths for £8, Death Star briefing for £5. The only modern I have real interest in is Original Trilogy stuff that was unreleased during the vintage line. My favourite modern piece by miles is the 1st issue Tie Bomber, it's awesome! Tarkin, Mon Mothma, Garindian, Porkins, Dannick Jericho, Slavegirl Leia etc. all found for small change.

I don't think the modern figures display well MOC, the E2 cards for example are really dull but a loose display looks really dynamic. Of course the new movies (for the most part) were bloody awful which doesn't help the modern cause!

I'm not gonna knock the modern stuff, it's fine for kids, and some of it I quite like, but as a collectible? Hmm, there's far to much being made, so many repacks and multiple figure runs that seem to be highly repetitive. There's a lot of chaff and too little wheat. Most of the better items are made in greatly reduced numbers to try to concoct interest of 'rarity', highly cynical. But hey, seen some brilliant modern displays, it's all a bit of fun and collecting Star Wars is fun whatever a person chooses to go for!

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
It's nuts to think that when Episode 1 toys hit the shelves it was 14 years since POTF.

That was 14 years ago. :shock:

There seems to be a lot of live for modern Star Wars in the US and my local ASDA in the ass end of nowhere stocks multiple ranges of modern Star Wars. They must be successful.

Be interesting to see the impact of the new films on POTF2 to today's modern figure lines.

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Funny to call some stuff 'modern' when as you say it's nearly 20 years old for the earlier modern stuff.

For me modern will never rival vintage, vintage was most people's on here childhood and has and always will hold the number 1 position. The only modern stuff I collect being Lego - because it's actually getting better year on year and never existed in the vintage era for the Star Wars line anyway. Kubricks because they are so damn cool and often stylise themselves on the vintage line.

It will be interesting to see where the earlier modern stuff is in 10-15 years time, I think as kids that have grown up with buying the Episode 1 toys and figures become older and want to re-capture their childhood the prices will more than likely rise, but not in the same league as the original vintage.

x-pack

Grand Master
As i see it, unlike the original Star Wars toy lines, the newer ones were destined to become instantly collectible. I guess that you can class anything which came out after the last of the ROTJ toy lines as 'new'. It seems there was a buffer period between this line and the start of what we know as collecting. Arguably if you were of a certain age and bought the original line during it's production run then you could hardly class that as 'collecting' per se.

So, there appears to have been a huge wave of nostalgia in the early nineties and people are beginning to collect Star Wars toys and there's this huge market created. All of a sudden new lines are being released to cater for this collecting fever. New movies are being produced which fuels even more nostalgia. Loads of people (myself included) went out and bought a few items, keeping them in boxes just like we should have done 15 years earlier. So it stands to reason that there are more newer lines floating around still in immaculate condition rendering them less valuable or rare.

With all this in mind i think it will become a long time before the majority of these items become seriously collectible. What's even stranger is that the 'last 17' were released only a few years prior to the collecting boom and at that time were very much sought after. Comparatively i have some early Phantom Menace boxed figures and i can't get shut of 'em. They are now 15 years old and worth nowt :?

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I'm bumping this up because having looked at some evil bay prices, the older Vintage Collection stuff is now selling for more than some ROTJ and TRILOGO MOCS :shock:

Some are shelf fillers, but the mains are decent sellers with some early issues going for £20 - £40!!

You can often get offers on the TVC stuff - I got some for £4 at B&M Bargains (unpunched because they are too cheap to have hangers lol), and some more at £4.99 at TRU etc. I bought them because I liked the cardbacks, but now I'm wondering whether it's worth buying afew boxes when they are cheap and throwing them in the loft for a while and seeing what happens.

Thoughts anyone??

escapist

Jedi Knight
hmm I imagine figures like C3PO, Starkiller and Dak Ralter will be fairly rare for the foreseeable. I luckily got a loose 3PO for £6 from a guy on RS but he goes for £20-30 on card.

Any TPM figures are probably never gonna go above £5! I got Obi Wan and Qui Gon MOCs on ebay for £2 each.... And the more common ones like ANH Darth Vader and Hoth Luke aren't too valuable.

But saying that, Dagobah Luke is another crazy priced figure (and one I will probably never own!! Shame as the head sculpt is amazeballs!)

Its crazy really.... Makes me wonder how many they actually produce of each figure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom