Will Modern ever become Vintage? Black Series

fun4kids

Padawan
OK so I have had zero interest in modern SW until I saw the Black Series - man these things are beautiful

So here is the question for you all, will modern ever become Vintage? I am drawn to these Black Series so am going to buy one of each and store them away for at least 30 years and maybe we will be trading them on here is 2045 (or I may be dead by then)

I know they dont and never will have the same nostalgia that Vintage has for us all now and it will never compete but from an investement perspective you have to think that the more MOC Black series you can get now and stored away the better?

Looking forward to all your mixed opinions on this one!

:lol:

Bollux

Grand Master
Sadly thousands of other people will have the same idea as you and therefore they'll probably be worth very little in the future.

Just look at the Potf 2 line and the value of that.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As said it's very hard to predict what will be the next big thing, otherwise obviously everyone would hoard stuff! If you're looking for an investment, the safest things to buy will be exclusive stuff such as the CE2 Yak Face, but again there are no guarantees. Basically for something to increase in value, demand has to outweigh supply. And predicting that is very hard.

rob71

Sith Lord
1.jpg

Admittedly they do look very nice. However as for the value increasing exponentially the way vintage has, I would doubt it, simply because of the numbers that are made nowadays and the fact that everyone has a eye on value now and keeps them in as new condition, whereas in the 70s we just ripped them straight off the cards and played with them. But as a collectible and display piece they are cool.

x-pack

Grand Master
As above. Unlike these modern figures which are sold as instant collectors pieces, we actually played with our toys!

Most people will buy the new stuff and keep the boxes figuring that they may be worth something in the future. I bet not many people had the forethought to do that with the original Star Wars lines. Man, can you imagine if you did that :roll:

...nah! Glad i ripped open the boxes, played with 'em, lost the weapons :p That's what makes old Star Wars toys so special. Saying that, i've never figured out how there are so many MOC's about :? What kids in the 1980's didn't open their toys? Weird.

Mrleemur

Jedi Knight
There's a number of reasons other than wierd kids.. Mine were lost for years, there ust have been a lot of unsold stock, and of course there would have been some smart people who saw what a phenomenon it was and had the foresight to see what was coming!!

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
On a side note as well. The number of parents that saved the boxes for the vehicles and playsets blows my mind...but hats off to them.

As for modern...it will never hold the value of vintage for all the reasons already stated.

escapist

Jedi Knight
As stated above, when some modern figures command high prices, its for very different reasons to vintage. Its more down to those which don't get favourable case assortments and characters not popular with kids.

As an example, from the 2010 Vintage Collection, C3PO commands around £50 MOC and £20 loose (I luckily have one of each and did not pay that much thanks to some kind sellers on here and RS!). The reason being quite simply is that he was only packed in one case and not carried forward into any other waves.

However, ESB Vader you can get MOC for around a fiver, even though he was released in the same wave. The reason for this is that there were two Vaders in the same case and then he was reissued in another four waves, again sometimes there were 2 in a case. It also didn't help that he was a repack of a previous issue (30th Anniversary series I think). C3PO was a brand new figure who's never been re-released (he's is also too bloody short but that's neither here nor there!)

Its really about knowing which ones won't be carried forward and hoping for the best. From the Black Series, I'd hazard a guess but Mara Jade from wave 2 will be probably be a good investment. Most EU figures are.... (Malgus, Starkiller and Shae Viszla from the 2012 Vintage Collection are prime examples - look at the completed listings on ebay)

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
More broadly with 'modern' toys and lets remember we are talking about a line that has now existed in one form or another since the mid 90's it is also down to smaller sublines and exclusives. Yes there is a lot of bulk but finding complete runs of some of the smaller sublines, store or convention exclusives and defunked lines also count. Not everything will go up in value.

For example most POTF2 figures are cheep as chips but within that the Shadows figuers always do a little better, esspecially the shadows cardbacks as opposed to the standard cardback.

The first vintage trigolgy line was a bit mixed and not worth much but the VOT subline was very hard to get and is totally killer so i expect those cards to go up in value.

Personally i am hoping over time the comic 2 pack line goes up as well, not only is it great but it is unique and a good mix of exlusives and figures.

But for everyone of those lines you get a Saga or Saga2 line (total pants), Revenge of the sith was actually quite poor as a line as well.

The black serise stuff i recond will go much the same as the other lines, if it becomes a hit then the bulk of it will be nice but easy to get and won't amass much value with the exception of the hard to find and exclusive elements.

All that said collecting purely for wealth acquisition is a dangerous game and i don't know many people that do, taking the odd punt however is a different proposition.

If you are keen on collecting modern i would look back at some of the older stuff i have mentioned above, the VOT line (27 figs i think) look spanking good next to their vintage counterparts :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom