FAVOURITE MODERN LINE

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
As the title says
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MODERN STAR WARS FIGURE LINE.(anything from 1996 onwards)
AND WHY ?
There doesn't seem to be much discussion on modern lines and I would be interested to hear people's opinions on favourites etc.
Cheers Nick

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Got to be POTF2 for me. Some dubious sculpts- Luke Farmboy and Lando for instance, but seeing sw figures in toy shops again for the first time in donkey's years was a fantastic feeling 8)

If we're talking quality of figures, it's got to be Black Series.

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
i like the POTF2 line as well,my kids where young when these were released and it is how i got them into star wars :D so just because of that i collected them all and now use them for autographs,but my personal favorite is the 30th anniversary line and the vintage collection
the 30th anniversary line i like because of the extras you get like the coin and moister vaporator and cantina parts etc,and the vintage collection for obvious reasons :D

brownbear29

Padawan
As you well know Nick :wink:, has to be POTF2 for me, similar to the guys above, seeing the line in the shops in the 90s re-kindled my love of SW collecting. I picked up a lot of the first waves then, have almost completed the full run now - anyone got a spare Oola / Salacious or Rebel Pilots set? :D

Have to say though, starting an Obi-wan focus, collecting MOCs across vintage & modern, I am liking the nostalgia of the vintage collection cards. On the flip-side, the amount of re-packs across modern lines & waves is crazy. Understandable, from the licensee / seller PoV, but not great for collectors.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I love the saga collection with the star cases, really look cool on display,then for detail the black series both six inch and normal size.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Vintage Collection - those iconic cardbacks and great sculpts including my all time fav Luke Dagobah landing

IMG_1083_zpsd2f5b076.jpg
WP_000006_zpsd0a2b0c9.jpg

The latest 5 POA figures Mission Series and Saga could steal the crown from VC for me - they just hark back to the original style of figures we all played with so I love them

WP_20150301_034_zpsuttbr7mi.jpg

grinchy

Sith Lord
Great choices mate, yeah the 5 poa are up there especially that trooper love it!, i want one of the dagobah landing lukes, missed it at retail, and don't fancy paying scalper prices, one guy at memorabilia last year was asking sixty quid for it, ripoff

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
I am sure I have dribbled on about this in the past, but there really are some great modern lines and pieces. While many may still deride anything and everying post 84 they are missing out.

Personally a few stand out:

The VOT line. More of a subset than a full line but 12 figures in 2005, another 5 in 2006 and 6 in 2007, plus the lucas stormtrooper figure are standout peices, fantastic retro art work on the cards, great sealed case presentation and probably figure for figure the best produced toys of the modern line, I would say if somebody was to buy only one line of moden figures this should be it, and let's not forget these were the for runners to the full vintage line that came along in 2010.

The comic 2 packs are a fantastic set of sets. From memory there are 66 sets in all and for one line they give you the broadest selection of figures across film and expanded universe ever produced (including Marvel comic versions of some figures). It did suffer a little from an excess of Republic comics and figures, but hardly a criticism as that was one of the best Dark Horse titles ever, Quinlen Vos rocks... Again a very defined line with a couple of stand out convention exclusives, worth chasing down.

Shadows of the Empie - a small subset of the POTF2 line, but Dash Rendar's and the Outlander.... What isn't to love, add in the first ever comic 2 packs and this is a real gem and so cheep and easy to get hold of right now.

disney crossover/Parady line - controversial as you either love or hate these but with 30 odd figures, all exclusive and some very exclusive (limited numbers etc.) this is a really fun and hard to build line, but super cute. Chip and Sale as Ewoks is still my favourite, BadPete and Boba Fett and Mini as slave Leia come close. The last wave was a bit repetitive, I think we have two Donald duck as Darth Maul figures now and the last box set was a lazy offering, but overall this is the most unique and fun line of the entire modern line.

There is plenty to love about modern figures, you just need to k ow where to look :)

GodDontLikeIt

I really love the Vintage Collection. Great scuplts and classic cardbacks. The Gamorrean Guard is spectacular. Otherwise I've been collecting Cantina patrons, so thats taken me across various modern lines. Mainly the Saga Collection which is good but also POTF2. I think it's only in the recent modern lines that the human figures look good. Some of the sculpts from the 90's and early 2000's are laughable.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Overall, the episode 1 figures are the best sculpts in modern figures. Plus the com tech chips add that little extra with being stands.

The black series 6inch is a beautiful line, and some of the crazy stuff in the saga collection is worth noting.

Another long forgotten line is the first animated clone wars

For diversity across the Star Wars universe, the 30th anniversary collection stands out. It covers traditional but also goes deep throat into the expanded universe.
http://jedibusiness.com/star-wars-figures.aspx?type=toyline&typeName=tac

The r2-kt is a really special figure and worth reading about.

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
yes agree on the R2-KT ,this is a story everyone should read about,that little pink droid made katie happy in her final days.

wanted one of these to go with my other droids but the price they go for is silly considering why they where made,to me anyone selling these should give a large amount of the money to the make a wish.

people should not be making profits on something like this.

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Love -

Master Replicas
Gentle Giants
Astro Droids - Awesome stuff Grinchy!
Some of the 30th Anniversary Packs. The Rancor, Bantha and these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SX300_.jpg

http://mystarwarsjourney.files.wordpres ... ck-box.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/ ... dor_1b.jpg

Some of the VC Figures.

Still like the POTF2 stuff because its what I grew up with but I agree compared to some of the other modern stuff its bad.

Hate -
POTJ, Bendems, Action Masters, some of the EP1 Stuff, Mission Series, ANGRY BIRDS :evil: :evil: , Fighter Pods,

Boris_2

Youngling
My fave line changes from day to day depending on my moods, but I'd have to say :

- POTF2 for range and because it kicked off the modern era
- Vintage collection for the wonderful packaging
- Sage Legends as it rekindled my love for 5POA and got me back into collecting loose vintage

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom