Header image

Modern collection thread

Talk about modern (post 1985) Hasbro toys, including POTF2.
Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Modern collection thread

Postby Russ J » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:39 pm

The last of my Modern collection...

My Green Carded collection...

Group photo....

Thats all my modern collection know shown,the rest of the modern stuff I have is the Force Awakens line...

Russ... :D

Jeetkunemaul
New User
New User

Postby Jeetkunemaul » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 pm

Nice. I remember getting a few of those foils over in Canada back in the day, good times.

Was superb actually as Shadows of the Empire was just coming out and I got to play / preview it in Vancouver which was cool. :D
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Nice collection of cards there mate, they look in great condition to
Well I finally got around to making myself a resin yoda in carbonite for the collection and the two smaller han and George in carbonite to, about time I had a set

I'm waiting on a 6 inch scale han in carbo to come to put with my black series boba, should look good
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Russ J » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Cheers guys much appreciated :D

Yeh the cards are in excellent condition grinchy the bubbles are as well 8)

Those carbonite blocks look well funky (are they home made ?) your Yoda looks like he's on a hippy high with his 2 fingers '' V ' :lol: 8)

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:53 pm

Cheers mate
Yeah I make them from resin, I used to have my own business making props and masks, now its just a hobby, if your interested heres a thread with loads of my work in it
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24238
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW

stratpack
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby stratpack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Inspired by Russ J's photos of his modern collection I thought I'd take some pics of my few POTF2 figs. :D

I had the complete run of modern figs from 95 up 04 but I got sick of the whole Hasbro thing and I couldn't keep up. I sold it all off including the elusive final European wave of POTF2 figs. These cards were also called Long Picture/Photo Cards and sported a Monologo rather than a Trilogo symbol. There was 9 altogether but in the UK they had a limited release, more available in France, Germany etc. It was easier to import cases of US/Canadian POTF2 by this time so the distribution was pretty poor over here. In fact I only ever saw Ackbar and Luke Bespin at retail here. It took me years to get them all including picking Weequay up in Australia when I was travelling! In recent years after getting back in to collecting I took up the challenge and hunted the same wave down. Again, its taken me years!

The cards have different photos from their US counterparts and are quite attractive as a variation. Anyway, here they are for you modern collectors

PS The only one missing is Luke Bespin which is ironically the easiest figure to find but I just haven't found a good enough mint example for grading yet.

Battle-damage stickers should be peelable!

My feedback thread:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22986

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Dude! Those are epic! Weirdly enough I saw a US listing with some of these (poor condition) and I wondered WTF they were as I have no memory of them at all. Despite the condition I was still tempted, though.

Having got back into the POTF line (FFs only ATM) I would very much like to complete a run of these. Any pointers as to what to expect to pay? I take it eBay is the best place to hunt them down?

Nita Nitro
Regular
Regular

Postby Nita Nitro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:57 pm

Some great piccies!
I really liked the POTF2 range when they first came out, but couldn't quite understand the muscles on the first wave or two of the range.
I kinda kept up with them and then lost track completely through the onslaught that came with episode 1, so find myself picking them off bit by bit nowadays. :)
You weren't on any mercy mission this time, Your Highness.

stratpack
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby stratpack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Luke Bespin and Ackbar are quite easy to find. Most stalls selling old POTF2 at fairs will have them for 3 - 10 quid depending on condition mixed in with the earlier Trilogo stuff. The rest are difficult to find. I think the problem is sellers maybe don't know what they have and tend to never really describe them very well, meaning finding them on Ebay is difficult - as well as getting decent condition ones. I got pretty lucky, I found someone selling 3 mint cards for 50 quid together a few years ago. The rest I've just had to be patient and pick them up when they come up. Save searches for Euro monologo, euro LPC etc and they will turn up.

Incidentally, I didn't get them graded all at once or anything. Because there was months between finding these figs I did it one at a time over a few years to spread the cost. I moved last year and I'm only just getting the SW out on display :D
Battle-damage stickers should be peelable!

My feedback thread:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22986

Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Russ J » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:44 am

That's a great line there mate 8) ...I were the same towards the end of the POTF 2 line,Hasbro just kept on releasing and it got a bit too much financially to keep up so I kinda slowed down a lot with collecting.
..when I were collecting them I were just buying basically what I didn't have rather than buying card variants and the like it was when it got to the point I'd got all there was on the pegs that I started buying card variants

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Some more pics of the collection,

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Nice mix of modern and vintage can even see the classic bendem's lurking at the back :D
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:59 pm

Cheers mate, as for the bendems, yeah they are a guilty pleasure of mine, love the artwork on them
have a few of them now hope to pick up some more in the new year

Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Russ J » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:40 am

I echo what's been said 8) ....a great mix of vintage and modern mate....I could spend hours just looking at a display like that and I wish I had all mine on display instead of in boxes in the loft :( ...still maybe one day the wife will allow :oops: :lol:

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Cheers mate, yeah your own space is a must to display your stuff, I had to wait till my daughter moved out to go to uni, :D
I enjoy pottering round in the room changing the display now and then, and just sitting there taking it all in, hope you get your own space eventually

Return to “Modern Collecting”