Insane prices for TFA merchandise on eBay

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just typed in "Force Awakens Limited Edition" and selected sold listings on ebay. Just for fun. Thought it would be a bit of a laugh to see what mental prices are being achieved for things.

Please remember: this is meant to be funny, not an outing thread. By that I mean post stuff up that shows people have lost their sanity on, not super high prices for genuinly rare and desirable pieces that folks might get back doored on, such as screen used props, etc. If this goes wrong then it'll end up getting locked and honestly there is no need to look hard to find some crazy, crazy ****.....

Free from O2, now worth a low end mintu ROTJ MOC, apparently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-WARS-THE-FORCE-AWAKENS-LTD-LIMITED-EDITION-LED-LIGHTSABER-KEYRING-O2-/221983025141?hash=item33af3827f5%3Ag%3AbvoAAOSwaA5Whm~d&nma=true&si=brG4bGTAItVOXqGA%252FwSjPt58yFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No great shortage available but these magazines will now set you back a nifty-fifty all day long, this being a bonkers example (forever in your debt for sending one cover price, Stefan!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Empire-Magazine-Kylo-Ren-Limited-Edition-/201474485881?hash=item2ee8d0ae79:g:O5UAAOSwgyxWWJdV

With even the regular lenticular covers (no shortage at the time) costing you nearly £20 all in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMPIRE-MAGAZINE-STAR-WARS-THE-FORCE-AWAKENS-POE-DAMERON-NEW-LIMITED-EDITION-/381502868638?hash=item58d357cc9e%3Ag%3A9Z4AAOSwo3pWfw-3&nma=true&si=brG4bGTAItVOXqGA%252FwSjPt58yFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Insanity personified. Normally less than a tenner if you hold you breath for these "limited to several tens of thousands" editions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOPPS-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Limited-Edition-Card-The-Emperor-DA-/321934611050?hash=item4af4cc526a:g:5K0AAOSwyQtV7G51

More cinema freebies and a £2 cup are now yours for £17.50:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Official-Cinema-Ltd-Ed-Cup-New-Flyers-postcards-/331741114785?hash=item4d3d4fb1a1%3Ag%3A8HIAAOSwHaBWh736&nma=true&si=brG4bGTAItVOXqGA%252FwSjPt58yFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So come on, anyone else with some quality, nuts examples of TFA merch fever?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
And as this one has well passed seven days it's safe to post up. I really did want this lot but the price paid was well out of my league. And from what I've seen there wasn't just one screen showing TFA at the premier, there were a few screens. Would like to know the number and the ways of identifying which screen had all the VIPs in. Great set, but surely overvalued in comparison to what the OT stuff goes for? SublevelStudios may be able to offer his thoughts on it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-The-force-Awakens-European-Premier-Ticket-With-Wallet-And-Envelope-/291643211329?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=brG4bGTAItVOXqGA%252FwSjPt58yFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Vialli

Padawan
These prices are absolutely ridiculous, makes you wonder whether all this merchandise can actually hold its price now, what with Star Wars being very much in the limelight and future releases guaranteed. I remember thinking I was sitting on a goldmine when I was collecting all the modern figures and memorabilia back in the mid to late nineties, was nothing but a pipe dream ! Maybe the tides turned.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Vialli said:
These prices are absolutely ridiculous, makes you wonder whether all this merchandise can actually hold its price now, what with Star Wars being very much in the limelight and future releases guaranteed. I remember thinking I was sitting on a goldmine when I was collecting all the modern figures and memorabilia back in the mid to late nineties, was nothing but a pipe dream ! Maybe the tides turned.

Absolutely. My mate was importing the POTFII figures from their initial release to well into the Freeze Frame editions. I used to drive him around the shows as he couldn't drive. I'd take my vintage spares along and pick up a few pieces as and when I found them (12" Stormtrooper for £2 and beautiful ROTJ Power Droid MOC for £16 are a couple of pieces I remember in particular!). He was charging £25 when the DV removable helmet Freeze Frame figure came out. Took about 120 to Memorabilia in '98 (I think it was?) and sold out. It was insane. And some earlier pieces from '97 were seeing daft price increases. Look what's happened to that market now.

Same sort of thing was happening with the quad posters. I picked up a Episode I teaser poster (still have it and still love it despite the film) from a high profile dealer (still very much around) who was selling them out of the back of his van (he had 10s, if not 100s of them) for about £20 or £30. I recall at the time they were doing nearer £50 when you could find them. Again, I'm sure they're a lot less now. Although just looked on ebay and can't find one, sold, unsold or listed.....

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
It's the same old story. "Star Wars" and "limited edition". I don't actually want any of this old toot, but I would wager it will be being given away in about ten years.

What makes vintage so valuable and collectable? There is a finite amount, and no more will ever be made.

What also makes it so desirable to our generation is the nostalgia. There is zero nostalgia for that Kylo ren empire magazine. I bet not one person has brought one to take home, rip the figure off and give it to their kid.

I get the collector gene that drives people to collect modern stuff, and some of it looks really good. I buy bits, but the desire to have all of this limited edition junk today is beyond me. Those light sabre key rings for example. What a load of ****. Im sure there are hundreds of light sabre key rings if you really want one.

walkie

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
No great shortage available but these magazines will now set you back a nifty-fifty all day long, this being a bonkers example (forever in your debt for sending one cover price, Stefan!):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Empire-Magazine-Kylo-Ren-Limited-Edition-/201474485881?hash=item2ee8d0ae79:g:O5UAAOSwgyxWWJdV

£99 ****ing hell I'm selling mine!!!!

lejackal

Grand Master
StarWarsFan said:
Blimey glad I paid only £7 and that was a lot I though.
You did well if you got the Sainsbury's edition with Kylo Ren for £7, they were £11 or £12 in the shop

Joe

Grand Master
I'm not one for modern usually but I must admit I did want one of those Empire Kylo Ren's. Definitely not at those prices though! I think I'll stick to Vintage..it's cheaper :shock:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Type 'empire force awakens' into ebay and look at some of the listings for the Empire Kylo Ren figure (£12 retail) or the 6 standard issues with holographic cover (£5 retail). The toy will cost you a minimum of £30 with most asking £50, and a holographic cover is anything ranging from £10 to £30. Some guy wants £300 for all 7!

:eek:

Jason

Collins1987

Padawan
I have the empire magazine that I don't want, was bought by my partner for me, if you want it will do it for retail(£12) + p&p, can provide photos in you need them

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Collins1987 said:
I have the empire magazine that I don't want, was bought by my partner for me, if you want it will do it for retail(£12) + p&p, can provide photos in you need them

Sure, I'lll take it. Last one I need for the set!

:)

Jason

lejackal

Grand Master
mr_palitoy said:
Type 'empire force awakens' into ebay and look at some of the listings for the Empire Kylo Ren figure (£12 retail) or the 6 standard issues with holographic cover (£5 retail). The toy will cost you a minimum of £30 with most asking £50, and a holographic cover is anything ranging from £10 to £30. Some guy wants £300 for all 7!

:eek:

Jason

One of the first completed sales on Ebay for it at auction was something like £112 and that was the week they were released to the shops! You could have driven a 200 mile round trip and got one cheaper!

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Big thanks to Collins1987 for selling me the one with the toy at cost:-

FullSizeRender_zpsrdt3lmyt.jpg

:)

Jason

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
It's not such an outstanding movie after all :roll: But people are stupid when it comes to money. They think 'hey Star Wars' and have this feeling of winning a lottery... There are fools all around and I stick to the vintage stuff: much cooler and more valuable... :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom