toy shop

poncho

Grand Master
Went into a small local toy shop the otherday to my amazement they had some mid 90s potf hoth rebel soldier/commanders still on hangers. Nice too see. no 1980s stuff of course :lol:

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
i saw the same down in Cornwall.....I did ask if they had any old stock in the back. He said I wasn't the first to ask this :D

poncho

Grand Master
robpmarsh said:
i saw the same down in Cornwall.....I did ask if they had any old stock in the back. He said I wasn't the first to ask this :D
Its out there i believe still rob. In these little independent toy shops buried at the back of shop attic im sure beeches wasnt the last....

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
There's a toy shop (A2Z Toys) in the Florida Mall, Orlando, that has a load of POTF II and some Episode I pieces still on the hangers. Nothing rare and the piss takers want $12 a figure. It was good to see, though.

Beeches definitely wasn't the last, but I'll bet it's the last of that magnitude and quality. Was great to see it all unfold :)

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I think i've been in that toyshop in Florida Mall.....was after a few bits for friends but the prices were ridiculous. Ended up going across the road to Toys R Us and got them a lot cheaper!

sith-smith

Grand Master
Finding a toys shop with very old stock is a dream!

Though i'd imagine that vast majority were cleaned out in the 9's when star wars really kicked off again

itfciain

Grand Master
sith-smith said:

Though i'd imagine that vast majority were cleaned out in the 9's when star wars really kicked off again

Yes, I know a of the old dealers did this - they all knew about Beeches but the old girl just wouldn't let anything go - it was only when she passed and the family wanted to get shot that the magnitude of what she has was discovered

I doubt there will ever be anything like that again but I know that there are still huge collections out there that haven't seen the light of day for a few years - just look at what Mr Tree has turned up

sith-smith

Grand Master
Some friends in the 90's found a toy shop with old stock but by the time they got to it, it had already been cleaned out by a dealer.

There is almost certainly loads of stuff hidden out there, there could be other old toy shop stock/warehouses/rep collections/employee stuff.

Not to mention people's collections that never get shown in public and I reckon there are loads of them out there.

So combining all that together I reckon there is masses of vintage stuff that is out there. Kinda makes you question the word 'rare'

sith-smith

Grand Master
robpmarsh said:
I think i've been in that toyshop in Florida Mall.....was after a few bits for friends but the prices were ridiculous. Ended up going across the road to Toys R Us and got them a lot cheaper!

In the late 90's I went to a Toys R us in North London and there was some 80's Heman toys still on the shelf 8)

poncho

Grand Master
2 years in blackpool there was a tmht (turtles) moc circa late 80s 1989 maybe in one of the prize machines it was so faded it was unreal.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
itfciain said:
sith-smith said:

Yes, I know a of the old dealers did this - they all knew about Beeches but the old girl just wouldn't let anything go - it was only when she passed and the family wanted to get shot that the magnitude of what she has was discovered

I doubt there will ever be anything like that again but I know that there are still huge collections out there that haven't seen the light of day for a few years - just look at what Mr Tree has turned up

Holy **** :shock: You saying "she" has just triggered a memory I clean forgot.

Back in the mid 90s when I was collecting and sort of amateur level dealing a good friend of mine from Chester (my home when not at Uni) told me of an old woman who ran a toy shop that still had a few bits of vintage. I could have sworn he said it was in Mold, but that's only just down the road from Holywell so I or he could have got muddled. Anyway, he gave me the number and I called it. The old lady answered and I asked her if she had any Star Wars for sale. She said she had only
"One or two pieces left" and that she may have an X-Wing in its box but that was about it. I asked about any carded figures at which point she asked me if I was a dealer or a collector. I told her I was a collector and she in summary said "good, because I only want the bits I have to go to collectors". For one reason or another I didn't bother going. I think she had been asking a fair bit for the X-Wing (around £40/£50 as I recall) which in 94/95 probably wasn't bad but wasn't a steal. Well, not to me, anyway.

I remember thinking how shrewd and difficult she was to talk to. Shame I didn't go, though, as maybe she would have reneged and pulled out a box of figures or two :)

I'll bet my house it was Beeches. The only reason it never clicked until now is that I always assumed the proprietor was a he.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I like the fact that even back then, someone was saying that they only wanted it to go to a collector not a dealer!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
itfciain said:
sith-smith said:

Holy **** :shock: You saying "she" has just triggered a memory I clean forgot.

Back in the mid 90s when I was collecting and sort of amateur level dealing a good friend of mine from Chester (my home when not at Uni) told me of an old woman who ran a toy shop that still had a few bits of vintage. I could have sworn he said it was in Mold, but that's only just down the road from Holywell so I or he could have got muddled. Anyway, he gave me the number and I called it. The old lady answered and I asked her if she had any Star Wars for sale. She said she had only
"One or two pieces left" and that she may have an X-Wing in its box but that was about it. I asked about any carded figures at which point she asked me if I was a dealer or a collector. I told her I was a collector and she in summary said "good, because I only want the bits I have to go to collectors". For one reason or another I didn't bother going. I think she had been asking a fair bit for the X-Wing (around £40/£50 as I recall) which in 94/95 probably wasn't bad but wasn't a steal. Well, not to me, anyway.

I remember thinking how shrewd and difficult she was to talk to. Shame I didn't go, though, as maybe she would have reneged and pulled out a box of figures or two :)

I'll bet my house it was Beeches. The only reason it never clicked until now is that I always assumed the proprietor was a he.

It definitely sounds like the stories that were related to Beeches. Her protectiveness sadly, was probably the reason she went out of business. The dealers knew, and she knew the dealers knew. The fact that the whole place was such a mess didn't help either, because when she got legit buyers she couldn't find the stuff they wanted ...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom