Build Your Own R2D2

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/build-your-own-R2-D2/

Very tempting but no not at £893 for the whole lot, know that build your own Millennium Falcon was £900 as well. May get part 1 for only 2.99 will leave it after that.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
The build R2 is 1:2.
The one in the link looks to be 10' high.
Looks pretty cool though.

The kit would be great to build and own but I'd be worried production might cease.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Never did the Falcon but have signed up for this. It's approx 19 inches high so pretty much half scale.

Price may be a bit high but it's over 2 years so can handle that.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
Chris Falcon on you tube does good builds on these, really enjoyed his falcon build, he is doing the r2d2 and the, Back to the Future Delorean build next. So you can enjoy it with out the financial pain that goes along with these projects :)

MarkG

Jedi Master
Just been checking out a few of these subscription things that are currently available, and the R2, doesn't seem too bad for the money.

Transformers G1 Collection - £712.20 - 80 Issues
Star Trek Collection - £788.20 - 80 Issues
R2-D2 - £893.00 - 100 Issues
Delorean - £1161.70 - 130 Issues

Prices do not include the extra you pay for digital subscriptions.

Transformers and Star Trek just look to be books !! To me.. that's a hell of a lot of cash just for books !!

At least with R2 and the DMC you get something that actually works... although there are rumblings that with R2 you have to buy the software... but nothing confirmed. You will need to purchase a battery though.

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
The transformers books are a bit odd as it isn't that long ago that two paperback sets were published by IDW for both the UK and US Marvel runs, they certainly didn't cost 700, half that I think and that was for a lot more content.
Anyway, hardbacks are a nice set, I have all the IDW hardbacks for transformers phase 1 and 2 and they look great on the shelf.

The r2 looks great and I am tempted but not at that price, just can't justify it. I bought the Sphero BB8 and that only gets to run around once or twice a month, I can only imagine the great I would get for spending 900 on something that was essentially a novelty item, damn cool one that I would love to own, but I know it would end up on a shelf gathering dust after a few month.

Must say all their models look great though, the falcon did, the delorean does,

MarkG

Jedi Master
well, my first 2 installments came today.

Loads of good info in the magazine for starters.... history of LEDs, robotics, info on various droids etc etc..

Now, the build itself. Looks nicely made. Does require a blob of superglue in some areas, but otherwise it just screws together.

Looking like it has lots of features. Wannabe hologram function which is just a projector. Voice commands, pop out tools, and even a pop up saber !! Sadly will only be a tripod function so no retractable middle leg.

The worst is as I feared... it has a built in WiFi unit which will be phone app enabled... however, this is free for just 3 years. Hopefully by then the novelty would have worn out a bit.

R2.jpg

MarkG

Jedi Master
Just a quick update on this one as I finally got some superglue and started to assemble the pieces I had..

The silver 'greeblies' looked very plasticy in the bubble, but they are actually made of metal !! Has a nice bit of weight to it.

MarkG

Jedi Master
steve obi wan said:
I know if anyone can do it , it's you Mark

Patience of a saint :D

I wouldn't go that far....lol

Bit of a belated update as currently up to Issue 4, with 5-8 on their way.

Here's the current status of one of the legs... all silver parts are metal so getting quite a weight to it.. MOC placed for scale purposes...
20170218_204050.jpg

received a PBC and battery box to test the LEDs along the way... looking bright !!
20170218_204104.jpg

20170218_204109.jpg

MarkG

Jedi Master
A full month of deliveries this time... 4 issues (5-8) !! So this is how they will be arriving now...

Added yet another part to the lower leg.
leg.jpg

Started on the framework for the dome... also included a bearing so the dome will swivel round.
top ring.jpg

More blinky lights.... oooooo.
blinky.jpg

So.. that's it now for a whole month.... please stay tuned...lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom