POTF II Tansition Tray figures - Short Sabre Long tray

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I remember these coming out and picking up one of each without too much drama, back in the 90s anyway. Think they cost a quid or two more and that was it.

I'm pretty sure I had a Ben, Luke FB and Vader all with these transition trays: for those who don't know they appeared between the first issue long sabres in the long sabre trays used to hold the figures and weapons in the bubble and the change to the short sabres in trays specifically designed for them. There was a brief period where the new issue short sabres appeared in the trays designed for the long sabres. It's that dull a variation.

Anyway, can anyone confirm which figures have been sighted with these transition trays and also their relative rarity to each other?

Reason I ask is that I've seen a few asking £150+ for Luke, never seen a Ben for sale but have just picked up a Vader for a whopping £14 which is at the end of the scale I'm comfortable at :D

Carl Waterworth

Jedi Master
I think i have a transition try Luke! I knew they comanded a premium price, never thought that much! I think i have a long sabred Vader and Ben too.

Never seen a transition tray Vader or Ben, but dont follow modern that closely.

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Ben is the hardest to find then luke farmboy and the rest are not to hard to find ( luke Dagobah , luke xwing pilot , Darth Vader ) you can pick them up between £15-£25
I have a couple of Vaders if anyone's looking for one :)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks guys. So Ben is the bugger, is he? I certainly won't be paying three figures or anything even approaching that for any of them :lol: I'm quite confident I'll end up buying a few collections and end up with them that way.

It's fun this modern collecting. Nice to be talking about single or double digit purchases instead of three figures. I've got. A few first shots and proofs but even they didn't cost much. Well, the Taun-Taun and Luke was a Few quid but he was just to cool to ignore :D I look forward to continuing my small collection.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yes, I remember these, if my memory serves me right, I had everyone with the original long sabre, short sabre long tray, and then the short sabre short tray.
Picked these up in my local department store in the day, £5.95 I think.
Sold all mine at auction with everything else in 2012, didn't get much for them from memery.
There is something about the early POTF 2 figures that I have started to admire again, but must stay focused this time...only vintage :roll:
As others have said, most can be picked up for between £10 - £25, infact I was looking at some that have only just been listed on Ebay this evening.
Good luck in finding all the varients, it is nice to pick MOCs up for that money, almost feels like the old days of the 80s or early 90s when most figures where that price...

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Yes, I remember these, if my memory serves me right, I had everyone with the original long sabre, short sabre long tray, and then the short sabre short tray.
Sold all mine at auction with everything else in 2012, didn't get much for them from memery.
There is something about the early POTF 2 figures that I have started to admire again, but must stay focused this time...only vintage :roll:
As others have said, most can be picked up for between £10 - £25, infact I was looking at some that have only just been listed on Ebay this evening.
Good luck in finding all the varients, it is nice to pick MOCs up for that money, almost feels like the old days of the 80s or early 90s when most figures where that price...

:lol: Good luck with staying focussed! I started collecting vintage again a couple of years ago and not caring for the modern. Didn't take long and many shows before I started thinking about collecting just the Freeze Frame figures. Then the Red carded, then GiGi/foreign and now these variants. It's annoyingly contagious!

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I never had any transition trays, but do recall that Ben was short-packed originally, so it stands to reason that he will be the harder one to find, and that he likely became more readily available after the transition, with the short saber, short tray. :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Nita Nitro said:
I never had any transition trays, but do recall that Ben was short-packed originally, so it stands to reason that he will be the harder one to find, and that he likely became more readily available after the transition, with the short saber, short tray. :D

Good memory! All I can remember is that the monkey faced Leia was short packed and a bugger to find. I don't remember Ben being in short supply :)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Mini99 said:

:lol: Good luck with staying focussed! I started collecting vintage again a couple of years ago and not caring for the modern. Didn't take long and many shows before I started thinking about collecting just the Freeze Frame figures. Then the Red carded, then GiGi/foreign and now these variants. It's annoyingly contagious!

Yes, totally agree, not only is it "annoyingly contagious" its expensive.
I have restarted collecting again after many years away, my wife only agreed with this as long as I "stayed focused", fat chance. :lol:
Must go and have another look at those POTF 2 on ebay again. :roll:

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Nita Nitro said:

Good memory! All I can remember is that the monkey faced Leia was short packed and a bugger to find. I don't remember Ben being in short supply :)

Ha ha, yeah, the monkey face and the weird stance Leia... took me ages to get one, back in the day :lol: I was just happy to have Star Wars figures back on the shelves, so got over some of the aesthetic issues quite quickly 8)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Ben S/S long tray has gone for $2500 upwards in the past. Yes, people really pay it :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
Ben S/S long tray has gone for $2500 upwards in the past. Yes, people really pay it :D

For real?? Maybe I didn't have one then. I doubt I would have had something that rare because $2.5k for modern is.....extraordinary. Is bad enough for vintage!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Yeah maybe I didn't have one either, the old memory, making things up again :roll:

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Its bizarre to say the least. This is and old RS thread about it:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D815738%26page%3D3&ved=0ahUKEwjFp8CH_MLTAhWEJ8AKHdQZD0kQFgg5MAc&usg=AFQjCNHSImq4o8yGk2BKeLnpUKwhfl2oIg&sig2=-jtRjrOMAOV4lqReszTZ9A

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
_Lee_ said:
Its bizarre to say the least. This is and old RS thread about it:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D815738%26page%3D3&ved=0ahUKEwjFp8CH_MLTAhWEJ8AKHdQZD0kQFgg5MAc&usg=AFQjCNHSImq4o8yGk2BKeLnpUKwhfl2oIg&sig2=-jtRjrOMAOV4lqReszTZ9A

Wow, great thread Lee. Really highlights how rare they are! It also highlights that there are some really petty, nasty little characters on RS, even back in 2003 :/

Right, on a mission to find a Trasition Tray Obi Wan! :D

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I picked up a transition tray Luke farmboy from Argos back in the mid 90s. Think I sold it for about 50 quid in 2004 (had a small tear on the cardback).

Interestingly though I also had Luke farmboy on a POFT2 Gigi card (Guerre Stellari) with transition tray that I had picked up for a couple of quid. Sold it in 2004 for about the same price but really wish I had kept it as I haven't seen another one since. :roll:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
stratpack said:
I picked up a transition tray Luke farmboy from Argos back in the mid 90s. Think I sold it for about 50 quid in 2004 (had a small tear on the cardback).

Interestingly though I also had Luke farmboy on a POFT2 Gigi card (Guerre Stellari) with transition tray that I had picked up for a couple of quid. Sold it in 2004 for about the same price but really wish I had kept it as I haven't seen another one since. :roll:

Damn, that's got to be pretty crazy rare. Great (not) to know there's variations on variations.

jonbon07

Padawan
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Thanks guys. So Ben is the bugger, is he? I certainly won't be paying three figures or anything even approaching that for any of them :lol: I'm quite confident I'll end up buying a few collections and end up with them that way.

It's fun this modern collecting. Nice to be talking about single or double digit purchases instead of three figures. I've got. A few first shots and proofs but even they didn't cost much. Well, the Taun-Taun and Luke was a Few quid but he was just to cool to ignore :D I look forward to continuing my small collection.

I have Luke Ben Darth with Long & Short Sabres I'll check on the trays?

Remember paying £30 for Ben for the long sabre back in the day, now I'm cashing in on my collection.

Regards

Jon

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
jonbon07 said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

I have Luke Ben Darth with Long & Short Sabres I'll check on the trays?

Remember paying £30 for Ben for the long sabre back in the day, now I'm cashing in on my collection.

Regards

Jon

Jon, definitely worth checking. Although you won't be cashing in I'm afraid: long sabres for for less than a tenner at the moment. Give it another 6-12 months and I think we'll be seeing a significant rise, though. Particularly if vintage still increases at the rate it has been.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom