Header image

Marvel Comics

Talk about modern (post 1985) Hasbro toys, including POTF2.
Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Marvel Comics

Postby Spookedhippie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:25 am

Legacy was my favourite series from dark horse, masterpiece! And like rich said crimson empire is a must read

monkey_roo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby monkey_roo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Yeah, i loved Legacy and the big twist that came was outstanding. I remember all the hype around who Krayt was. it was a big reveal at the time and i remember bing hooked desperate to find out...
Hamington Chronicles Volume 1 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L2BXOJ0
Hamington Chronicles Volume 2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RNH5WI8
Hamington Chronicles Volume 3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01412RVI6

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Exactly roo it kept everyone guessing. I loved the republic series that ostrander and duursema did that linked with legacy.

monkey_roo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby monkey_roo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:23 pm

To be fair I think that run of titles from 98 through to mid 00's was probably DH's best run of comics and given their history prior to that, that's saying something. Certainly better than anything that came after, which was a real mixed back of crap.

I recall there was a crossover event that ran from old republic through to legacy, looking forward to rereading that. Not sure if they will put all four issues in one volume or spread them over the four.

Sorry, not meaning to become a DH retro thread, although this is all being published by marvel comics so guess it is ok :)
Hamington Chronicles Volume 1 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L2BXOJ0
Hamington Chronicles Volume 2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RNH5WI8
Hamington Chronicles Volume 3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01412RVI6

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:56 pm

I was thinking of downloading the Kanan series as I've been really getting into Rebels lately.

Does anyone recommend them?

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Yes. Kanan is above average as the sets go. Will review Leia tonight
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm

So, Leia. A little later than I'd planned but I've been quite busy....

Only 5 issues and I have the JTC variant for #1 which is a great rendition of the card.

The comic starts at the end of ANH at the Yavin ceremony. I really don't like the artwork here. The faces look like melted wax sculpts. Leia is being cast as a stone faced Princess and the surviving pilots from the battle are not happy with the brief speech to acknowledge the destruction. A new female pilot is introduced who flew in Yavin and is also an Alderaanian survivor. The Rebels have a mission - flee Yavin before the Empire comes full of wrath. Ackbar is introduced and he has some attempts at humour which fall terribly flat. Making jokes about human hands and eyes makes him come across as a complete twat that nobody would respect. Leia is annoyed she is not giving any meaningful roles and the Empire has issued a bounty on her head. She wants to help with scouting missions but the Rebels refuse - is it because they are concerned about her state of mind or are they worried about her capture? Leia meets the Alderaanian pilot who dislikes Leia's uncaring attitude. She is however a Royalist and vows to protect her Queen (first time Leia is called Queen?) This is clearly written by someone who doesn't understand any kind of monarchy as Leia's mother is given the role of a teacher to some select Alderaanian students about heritage and values. New plot twist - Leia leaves with her pilot on a mission to find and rescue all of the Alderaanian survivors. This is an awful and out of character plot as I don't think Leia would ever leave the Rebellion and sees the bigger picture. R2 (which is drawn solid and then becomes a hologram in another poor plot) informs Dodonna of Leia's descision and then we pick up with Leia in space. Luke and Wedge give chase - Luke seems to imply that Leia is no longer part of the Rebellion and Leia is determined to escape. Another daft plot point in that the maneuver that Luke and Wedge are using is new but the pilot overheard their plans and uses a ludricous plot point to fool Luke and Wedge into thinking that their ship was damaged. Leia escapes to Naboo. We see a serious of flashbacks which shows Leia as a tom boy who wants to be a warrior and who hates her Royal Duties - not something that I find believable as I was always under the impression she was groomed for the role. On Naboo there is a secret Alderaanian settlement - too coincidental with the links between Padme and Leia? A nice moment between Leia and a stained glass window of Padme, but then within 30 secs of landing on Naboo she is recognised by a friend from Alderaan. You couldn't make this up. Leia asks to be put in contact with the secret group. A trap was laid by her 'friend' although Leia and her pilot defeat the heavily armed thugs. She asks the Alderaanians to join her as they travel the stars in such of rescuers. One of them is a sister of an Imperial Officer and sends a message explaining what shes upto. As if anyone can just Skype an Imperial on duty! Leia et al. arrive on Sullust to find another group of Alderaanians. Leia disarms their leader by wrenching his weapon away from his grip :roll: However, it's not long before the Imperials arrive thanks to the information being shared from the sisters and Leia thinks there is a traitor. The Stormtroopers arrive but R2 saves the day as he flies a transporter and gathers a group of beasts who just happen to enjoy stormtrooper armour but not humans :roll: :lol: Leia departs for another planets and the Empire follow. The traitor is found but Leia using her Sixth Sense knows she's not a traitor and makes her a cup of tea :roll: She understands how the Empire has been following them. Leia agrees a trade - her life for the Sister on the Imperial Destroyer now that the plan has been discovered. So after escaping one detention facility she does her best to go into another. :roll: However, during the trade the Imperials did not predict that Leia would have backup :roll: :o so she escapes back to her Alderaanians. The Empire send a Star Destroyer after her, big battle and the Alderaanians win. Leia then leaves the main plot (guess all the Alderaanians in the galaxy were hiding on 3 planets which Leia found very quickly) to go back to the Rebellion.

So in summary. A load of crap which adds nothing to the main story.

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Dr_Ball_MD wrote:I was thinking of downloading the Kanan series as I've been really getting into Rebels lately.

Does anyone recommend them?

Highly recommend it, its superb...

And Rich couldn't agree more...I can confidently say the Leia comics are my least favourite that have come out so far, a huge disappointment...

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:35 pm

I just picked up the Leia comics as I only had the first one. Will give them a read.

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Don't know if this is any help to anyone but I use this site for release dates.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_future_comics

Woolyniner
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Woolyniner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Richard_H wrote:So, Leia. A little later than I'd planned but I've been quite busy....

Only 5 issues and I have the JTC variant for #1 which is a great rendition of the card.

The comic starts at the end of ANH at the Yavin ceremony. I really don't like the artwork here. The faces look like melted wax sculpts. Leia is being cast as a stone faced Princess and the surviving pilots from the battle are not happy with the brief speech to acknowledge the destruction. A new female pilot is introduced who flew in Yavin and is also an Alderaanian survivor. The Rebels have a mission - flee Yavin before the Empire comes full of wrath. Ackbar is introduced and he has some attempts at humour which fall terribly flat. Making jokes about human hands and eyes makes him come across as a complete twat that nobody would respect. Leia is annoyed she is not giving any meaningful roles and the Empire has issued a bounty on her head. She wants to help with scouting missions but the Rebels refuse - is it because they are concerned about her state of mind or are they worried about her capture? Leia meets the Alderaanian pilot who dislikes Leia's uncaring attitude. She is however a Royalist and vows to protect her Queen (first time Leia is called Queen?) This is clearly written by someone who doesn't understand any kind of monarchy as Leia's mother is given the role of a teacher to some select Alderaanian students about heritage and values. New plot twist - Leia leaves with her pilot on a mission to find and rescue all of the Alderaanian survivors. This is an awful and out of character plot as I don't think Leia would ever leave the Rebellion and sees the bigger picture. R2 (which is drawn solid and then becomes a hologram in another poor plot) informs Dodonna of Leia's descision and then we pick up with Leia in space. Luke and Wedge give chase - Luke seems to imply that Leia is no longer part of the Rebellion and Leia is determined to escape. Another daft plot point in that the maneuver that Luke and Wedge are using is new but the pilot overheard their plans and uses a ludricous plot point to fool Luke and Wedge into thinking that their ship was damaged. Leia escapes to Naboo. We see a serious of flashbacks which shows Leia as a tom boy who wants to be a warrior and who hates her Royal Duties - not something that I find believable as I was always under the impression she was groomed for the role. On Naboo there is a secret Alderaanian settlement - too coincidental with the links between Padme and Leia? A nice moment between Leia and a stained glass window of Padme, but then within 30 secs of landing on Naboo she is recognised by a friend from Alderaan. You couldn't make this up. Leia asks to be put in contact with the secret group. A trap was laid by her 'friend' although Leia and her pilot defeat the heavily armed thugs. She asks the Alderaanians to join her as they travel the stars in such of rescuers. One of them is a sister of an Imperial Officer and sends a message explaining what shes upto. As if anyone can just Skype an Imperial on duty! Leia et al. arrive on Sullust to find another group of Alderaanians. Leia disarms their leader by wrenching his weapon away from his grip :roll: However, it's not long before the Imperials arrive thanks to the information being shared from the sisters and Leia thinks there is a traitor. The Stormtroopers arrive but R2 saves the day as he flies a transporter and gathers a group of beasts who just happen to enjoy stormtrooper armour but not humans :roll: :lol: Leia departs for another planets and the Empire follow. The traitor is found but Leia using her Sixth Sense knows she's not a traitor and makes her a cup of tea :roll: She understands how the Empire has been following them. Leia agrees a trade - her life for the Sister on the Imperial Destroyer now that the plan has been discovered. So after escaping one detention facility she does her best to go into another. :roll: However, during the trade the Imperials did not predict that Leia would have backup :roll: :o so she escapes back to her Alderaanians. The Empire send a Star Destroyer after her, big battle and the Alderaanians win. Leia then leaves the main plot (guess all the Alderaanians in the galaxy were hiding on 3 planets which Leia found very quickly) to go back to the Rebellion.

So in summary. A load of crap which adds nothing to the main story.

I gave up after the second issue, it was just so bad. Badly written, poor art, and just boring.

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:10 pm

No fans of Leia then, I must admit I don't think it's the worst series to date. Moving onto Lando next - get reading

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:04 am

Didn't want to say too much until something actually happened, but I'm now doing reviews on the Poe dameron series
http://www.jedinews.co.uk/literature/ar ... -annual-1/

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 am

Awesome Marc welcome to the club

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:51 pm

Pretty encouraged that this has 835 views! Come on guys join in....

Lando.

It's always a worry when you hear of a Lando series as the 1980s trilogy was shockingly bad and ever since then he's always been a not quite Han. You know that there's going to be girls, sabaac, debts, danger, treasure and him saving the galaxy somehow. He's also likely to win a card game against impossible odds. 50/50 as to whether he is cheating or not.

This is set around the events of ANH

Here we go... it begins with Lando was has clearly had a good time with a woman who has close relations with a local Moff. He steals an object which he needs to pay off some gambling debts (that's two points covered from above) and meets his backup who is Lobot. He takes the item to his creditor who communicates through a tiny winged... er goblin looking thing. The creditor accepts the item as 10% of his overall debt and gives Lando another job to do to clear the balance. We learn that the Imperials put Lobot's implants in his head to perform calculations for military campaigns on duty. On a side note this artist sure likes purples. We are introduced to a pair of assassins who Lando hires and then an ugnaught (c'mon really) who happens to not only speak but also be an academic. We then learn that the plan is to steal a ship which is currently docked for repairs. This appears to be the Emperor's personal shuttle. Have I covered all the points from above yet?

Issue 2 starts with 3 Star Destroyers appearing, destroying the shipyards (seemed a waste of money) and trying to capture the ship. However, the ship has auto defense capabilities. Then in a piece of stupidity the Star Destroyers lock tractor beams on each other and crash. Lando's vessel escapes :roll: and he leaps to the amazing conclusion that there's something valuable on the ship otherwise they'd have blown it up. Is that the points above covered twice yet? We meet a Bounty Hunter who the Emperor instructs to hunt down the ship. We explore the ship to find some valuable art and a sealed door. Inside the door are two Royal Guards who were... hiding?... who run a force pike through Lobot. It's now a race to heal Lobot in bacta before his implants take over and turn him into a.... android?.... the two twins who make a reappearance are duelling with the ERGs. The twins win as Lando takes a calm stroll :roll: from Lobot's bacta tank to find out how the fight is going. The twins have won and they unmask the ERGs to reveal ancient creatures. They were protecting a Sith chamber and we see a helmet in the centre of the room. This is getting interesting now and the eyes on the helmet light up. One of the twins becomes possessed and lops off the arm of the other as Lando and the ugnaught leg it. They run into the BH who surprise surprise is an old friend of Landos. Both twins are now possessed by the Sith spirit and come out looking for a fight. They kill the ugnaught, for some reason they thought they needed to trick and unarmed midget when they both have lightsabers. The BH sets a self destruct alarm off and heads for the exit. Lando goes for Lobot first and the evil twins split up. Lando convinces the twin to disengage the lightsaber and then shoots him :roll: :lol: :roll: The BH kills the other twin but they can't leave the ship as the one that the BH arrived on has flown off due to a droid. Lobot starts to become 'androidy' again and he's used to make some escape pods work. We learn the BH is an ex-lover of Lando :wink: :roll: :roll: and they escapes. The ship explodes at the end.

Not as bad as Leia but it is pretty bad. The heroes are untouchable, the Empire incompetent and yet more destroyed Star Destroyers, shipyards and Sith artefacts. Come on now it's time to change that crap.

Return to “Modern Collecting”