Header image

Latest Modern Acquisitions

Talk about modern (post 1985) Hasbro toys, including POTF2.
ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Latest Modern Acquisitions

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 am

Ever since seeing Stratpack's run of large photo EU release POTF cards I've been looking to complete a run myself. It's taken over 14 months to find the 9 cards but I've eventually got there. The Rebel Commando could do with upgrading as has a little wear on the card and slight dent on bubble, but I'm tight and not paying the £18 someone wants on eBay :lol: I'll pick one up at auction for less. I've averaged about £11 or £12 a card including postage.

The ERG was by far the hardest. Grant put me on to one with bubble crush which I bought only to find a mint one within 24 hours!

No doubt this photo will show the wrong way up. Whichever way I take it it always ends up the wrong way....

IMG_0942.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:19 am

Cracking little set !

TRILOGY COLLECTOR
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TRILOGY COLLECTOR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 am

Friend in the US spotted these for $7.99 :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The force is strong with this one."

Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Russ J » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:39 am

By the time they appear in our stores they'll be just shy of a tenner....rip off Britain :roll:

stratpack
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby stratpack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:Ever since seeing Stratpack's run of large photo EU release POTF cards I've been looking to complete a run myself. It's taken over 14 months to find the 9 cards but I've eventually got there. The Rebel Commando could do with upgrading as has a little wear on the card and slight dent on bubble, but I'm tight and not paying the £18 someone wants on eBay :lol: I'll pick one up at auction for less. I've averaged about £11 or £12 a card including postage.

The ERG was by far the hardest. Grant put me on to one with bubble crush which I bought only to find a mint one within 24 hours!

No doubt this photo will show the wrong way up. Whichever way I take it it always ends up the wrong way....

IMG_0942.JPG

Glad you finished the set mate, I love seeing a full run together like that. :D Warms the cockles of my heart! :lol:
Battle-damage stickers should be peelable!

My feedback thread:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22986

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:45 am

stratpack wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:Ever since seeing Stratpack's run of large photo EU release POTF cards I've been looking to complete a run myself. It's taken over 14 months to find the 9 cards but I've eventually got there. The Rebel Commando could do with upgrading as has a little wear on the card and slight dent on bubble, but I'm tight and not paying the £18 someone wants on eBay :lol: I'll pick one up at auction for less. I've averaged about £11 or £12 a card including postage.

IMG_0942.JPG

Glad you finished the set mate, I love seeing a full run together like that. :D Warms the cockles of my heart! :lol:

Cheers mate! You were my inspiration! :D

TRILOGY COLLECTOR
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TRILOGY COLLECTOR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm

40th anniversary wave 1 are back in stock from star action figures :D

https://www.staractionfigures.co.uk/SW640w1.html

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm

IMG_0942.JPG

I never saw those back in the day.
Were they released at the same time as the POTF 2 figures?
When you say EU was it only a few countries or all of the EU?
Do you know why did the UK not get these?
Sorry for all the questions, but they look great together.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:53 pm

Mini99 wrote:

IMG_0942.JPG

I never saw those back in the day.
Were they released at the same time as the POTF 2 figures?
When you say EU was it only a few countries or all of the EU?
Do you know why did the UK not get these?
Sorry for all the questions, but they look great together.

As I understand it from Stratpack, these came out at the end of the Green Card run and immediately before Freeze Frames. Whilst they were available across Europe it seems the only one that made it over here was the Luke Bespin. Why that is or why these figures were chosen is a mystery. All of mine other than Luke have come from France and Germany except the Snowtrooper which came from the US.

I think that this is the only way you can get Luke Bespin, the Ewoks and Endor Rebel Soldier on non-Freeze Frame cards. Which adds to the mystery: why choose these figures? 6 that had appeared on regular green cards and three new to the Freeze Frame series?

I certainly never saw them until SP showed off his mint set. I just love the large photos.

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 am

The Luke Bespin was available from Argos in the UK.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks for the information, really interesting.
I stopped collecting modern around the start of the freeze frame releases, so that may account for not seeing them?
I agree that the large picture makes these stand out all for the right reasons.
I did have a look on eBay last night and could only find the Luke Bespin, that explains why.
I will keep an eye for these.
Thanks

stratpack
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby stratpack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Mini99 wrote:Thanks for the information, really interesting.
I stopped collecting modern around the start of the freeze frame releases, so that may account for not seeing them?
I agree that the large picture makes these stand out all for the right reasons.
I did have a look on eBay last night and could only find the Luke Bespin, that explains why.
I will keep an eye for these.
Thanks

I'll chip in with what meagre information I remember from the time. :wink:

Heres a link to the chat ScruffyLooking NH and I had a while back:-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33508

Basically this wave came out in 1998 when the Freeze Frame figures were in full swing in the States. Hasbro Europe never really got to grips with the US in terms of figures released. In 1995 they mirrored the US releases with Trilogo compatriots but very quickly couldn't keep up - Luke Jedi, Jawa 2, Han Carbonite pack were released on red cards but didn't turn up in Green Trilogo packaging till 1996/7! As each wave went by and we went on into the green cards fewer and and fewer figs were getting released in Europe. ASP-7 Droid, Dengar, Yak Face etc

I think it was becoming easier for retailers/wholesalers to ship over cases of POTF2 from the US/Canada and Japan. I remember going in to bargain basement shops and getting foreign cards for 1.99 when many weren't officially released here. Because of this Hasbro Europe slowed putting out their own cards. Perhaps the logistics of making a Trilingual Freeze Frame also made them stay away from doing the same and decide to put out the Long Picture Cards instead.

Ackbar and Luke Bespin were the only ones I ever saw at retail. These figures were cased with previous Red and Green Trilogo cards. The Red Trilogos were manufactured up to as late as 1997 according to the date stamps, even though the copyright date says 1995! (Nita Nitro and I worked out the date codes one time! :lol: ) I can only assume for mainland Europe a different assortment was created with the other 7 LPC figures and retailers in the UK just didn't really pick them up.

As for the card backs, there is a sense of progression not a straight jump to the LPC cards.
RED TRILOGO....

...turning in to GREEN TRILOGO....

...then the TRILOGO gets pulled becoming a MONOLOGO card....

...and finally becoming the LONG PICTURE CARD incorporating the Collection references that the US Freeze Frame cards have.

:D :wink:
Battle-damage stickers should be peelable!

My feedback thread:-
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22986

TEEBO1979
Regular
Regular

Postby TEEBO1979 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:30 pm

I was not going to collect the Last Jedi Figures but made the mistake of going into toys r us when they had Half price off all Star Wars Toys. The only one I could not find was Leia. I was over the moon at finding the 40th Anniversary Figures.
7DE42566-DA83-4AD4-AC68-2DAD01F5F175.jpeg

TRILOGY COLLECTOR
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TRILOGY COLLECTOR » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Awesome half price find dude

Those 40th are like gold dust —-

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Was the 40th anniversary figure half price ?

Return to “Modern Collecting”