Modern variations and markets - an observation

Taffius

Sith Lord
This might be old news to some, but some maybe aware of modern variations to figures or miss printed cards within the modern range of figures. An observation I started to notice that there were packaging marketing differences to the Solo range and have discussed some of this with apack already. Post scramble of cheaper Rogue One carded figures and obtaining duplicates, it is noticeable, and I believe, there are a whole host of different markets leading to differences to the packaging and contents.
Using my duplicates in Rogue One (and please disregard all of this is if it is so old news or no-one cares), and using Princess Leia Organa as an example, two main market differences I have observed so far. I believe it stems from origin of intended market or distributors within different regions.

I say "regions", as to start the comparison, the one on the left has Hasbro Canada in larger font within the text of trademark and distribution information on its rear. For now, I will term it "North America" (NA) version. The other has Hasbro Europe information so will term it Europe (E) version.

From the front, the biggest difference on NA version is the "Warning: CHOKING HAZARD..." at the bottom of the blister, "Age" language variations and a code "B9845/B7072 ASST". Its does not contain a white warning sheet.
E version has no warning or age wording on front and code "B9845/B7072" only. The blister also contains a white information sheet that I am assuming is the E version of all the warnings in different languages.

The back is again different. NA has large image of "STUDIOFX" app and text and warnings within bottom half of card. The E has small image on left, lots of text and warnings at bottom of card. The bottom also has a lot of European Standard marks that also leads to believe the market intended was Europe.

In addition to above, the back of the NA card has a sticker stating representation information by Hasbro Europe and import information. It also has the CE mark on sticker which I assume for an import, is its compliance mark to the CE standard. Further alluding to the claim that it was not originally intended for Europe. This also leads to state that there is probably packaging out there that does not have these stickers placed on them so, perhaps like the vintage, a difference in the making?

As I wanted to get Rogue One run completed I think this adds a little research to those that might like such differences. More info to follow I am sure but I think to collect the differences when relatively cheap is a different slant on the collecting angle and as most variations in the vintage market keep cropping up, gathering some collecting value here shows how useful forums can be!

If members would like to send me their images with permission to re-use then I will gather up the write up and continue posting! :D

Attachments

• R1 Leia obervations rear.jpg
    R1 Leia obervations rear.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 2,495
  • R1 Leia variations.jpg
    R1 Leia variations.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2,488

Taffius

Sith Lord
I believe the known variations (not market packaging differences) within Rogue One are:

Jyn Erso and its variant - Sergeant Jyn Erso.

Sergeant Jyn Erso (Imperial Ground Crew Disguise).

Thrawn (c/o apack 7229):
1. Insignia on card and figure match but are wrong.
2. Insignia on card is wrong but figure is correct.
3. Insignia on figure and card are both the same and correct.

Shoretrooper.

Will try to add images and updates as I collate them.

Attachments

• R1 Jyn variant.jpg
    R1 Jyn variant.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,460
  • Thrawn insignia var2.png
    Thrawn insignia var2.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 2,447
  • Thrawn insignia var3.png
    Thrawn insignia var3.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 2,429
  • Thrawn insignia var1.png
    Thrawn insignia var1.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 2,424

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Cheers Taff, its interesting to see variants on modern figures and the packaging and also which country they are destined for or which country they were made in.

Please keep the pictures coming :D

Its interesting to those of us that collect modern SW and is a place for reference and discussion as we all love a good discussion and its always good to share our finds 8)

Taffius

Sith Lord
Ruby2511 said:
Cheers Taff, its interesting to see variants on modern figures and the packaging and also which country they are destined for or which country they were made in.

Please keep the pictures coming :D

Its interesting to those of us that collect modern SW and is a place for reference and discussion as we all love a good discussion and its always good to share our finds 8)

Cheers Russ. I hear a lot about variations but without images I didnt know where to start. At least now I have myself a reference point to refer to and disseminate if people wanted a look. Picture added of Jyn differences. Card name and weapon positions seems to be the difference.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
Massive difference between the 2 Jyn figures Taff, thanks for sharing and hope this is a regularly updated and active topic :D

Taffius

Sith Lord
Ruby2511 said:
Massive difference between the 2 Jyn figures Taff, thanks for sharing and hope this is a regularly updated and active topic :D

Thrawn details updated thanks to apack. Now obvious when you look at them but without the steer it is hard to visualise the differences.
Pictures also found and added.

Taffius

Sith Lord
There is a small Fenn Rau paint variation on the belt buckle:
https://goo.gl/images/LdWYYn

Source: http://www.starwarscollector.com/8-front-page-news/1837-rogue-one-fenn-rau-3-75-inch-paint-variation

Taffius

Sith Lord
Here are my Jyn Erso European market variants in the ground crew disguise.
Exactly the same packing but named different and her ground crew batons and helmet in different positions. Not got North American packaging in her yet.

Attachments

• 20181022_162158.jpg
    20181022_162158.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 2,079

Taffius

Sith Lord
Here are Shoretroopers. Left and centre both European but weapon and accessory in different locations.

Attachments

• 20181022_163517.jpg
    20181022_163517.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,076

Taffius

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
Exactly the same packing but named different and her ground crew batons and helmet in different positions. Not got North American packaging in her yet.

There are actually four of these in European packaging. Weapon and accessories difference on card named just Jyn Erso, and the same again on cards named Sergeant Jyn Erso.

Palifan

Sith Lord
It's amazing how many variations there are out there for Rogue One, well done for listing them as well Taff, it's great to have a section like this dedicated to it.

Ian

Taffius

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
It's amazing how many variations there are out there for Rogue One, well done for listing them as well Taff, it's great to have a section like this dedicated to it.

Ian

Very kind Ian. Thought as my Rogue One collection gather I would share as this forum does seem to value the info.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Taffius said:
Palifan said:

Ian

Very kind Ian. Thought as my Rogue One collection gather I would share as this forum does seem to value the info.

It's the information on here which is good to build on here in all areas of SW so it's great that you've taken the time to put something up on your collecting focus. I'm sure it's something that people will be able to reference for years to come. :D

Ian

Taffius

Sith Lord
Taffius said:

One more aquired today to take the European variants to 3 out 4. Just a Jun Erso left.

Attachments

• 20181108_195445.jpg
    20181108_195445.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,813
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom