Header image

The LEGO Corner

Talk about modern (post 1985) Hasbro toys, including POTF2.
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: The LEGO Corner

Postby Palifan » Tue May 03, 2016 3:08 pm

[quote="monkey_roo"]Yeah, but this isn't an isolated thing, which is more worrying.

The batcave before it was a bit of a misstep, this years exclusive was a pointless trooper.

I see what you're saying about this years exclusive trooper but I must admit that I really like the Batcave, do you think it's a misstep due to there not being enough fans of the TV series buying lego or the set itself?

The new Hoth set does seem a slightly slim release if you have the other sets but for anyone who has no Hoth lego then it's a great place to start. I'm sure it's going to look great set up with all the older sets so do post a picture up when you get around to it. Also seeing your 5 year olds face playing with it is priceless as is my sons when he's messing around with his various lego sets :D

Ian

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Tue May 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Palifan wrote:
monkey_roo wrote:Yeah, but this isn't an isolated thing, which is more worrying.

The batcave before it was a bit of a misstep, this years exclusive was a pointless trooper.

I see what you're saying about this years exclusive trooper but I must admit that I really like the Batcave, do you think it's a misstep due to there not being enough fans of the TV series buying lego or the set itself?

The new Hoth set does seem a slightly slim release if you have the other sets but for anyone who has no Hoth lego then it's a great place to start. I'm sure it's going to look great set up with all the older sets so do post a picture up when you get around to it. Also seeing your 5 year olds face playing with it is priceless as is my sons when he's messing around with his various lego sets :D

Ian

Ian, are you saying Lego is for kids? :o :shock:

:lol:
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Tue May 03, 2016 9:13 pm

jedisearcher wrote:
Palifan wrote:
monkey_roo wrote:Yeah, but this isn't an isolated thing, which is more worrying.

Ian

Ian, are you saying Lego is for kids? :o :shock:

:lol:

Only some of it :D

Ian

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 pm

sith-smith wrote:You think that will go for crazy money once retired?

Being the second Sand Crawler done will mean it won't skyrocket like the Executor did or perhaps even the Shuttle Tyderium, but on actual retirement prices should hit £300-£350 with near £400 being the norm within a month or two. I think it'll top out at £450.

It's a vast improvement over the original in looks and functionality and falls under the UCS label (don't think the original did?) so that adds a small X factor.

monkey_roo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby monkey_roo » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 pm

I don't mind the batcave, for strange reasons that involved my wife bribing my son to switch bedrooms we bought it at the weekend as well.

But much like the Assult on Hoth set it just isn't complete and overall struggles to justify the price tag. The figures are fun, the car great, but after that it just isn't a 220 set, also like you say, there just isn't a major fan base. The one off car they did at SDCC was great and justifiable, but a full set and a roughly finished one at that seems miss judged, almost like Lego just feel they can flog anything, like they are untouchable.

I like the Assult on Hoth, otherwise it wouldn't have bought it and as a play set I think it works well, like you say it was fun to watch my son play with it and add his figures to it etc. But it is being sold as an UCS at top dollar, the blurb describes it as iconic and the very zenith of Hoth sets, yet we have seen all but an inaccurate generator and ion cannon before.

When you look at the last few UCS we see Slave 1, Sandcrawler, Tie-Fighter, even the Ewok Village, these are all complete and stunning to look at, not to mention challenging builds, the Assult on Hoth set took a couple of hours to build and most of it my kids did, again not UCS standards.

The big issue was the marketing, packaging and branding, this should have been a 170 system set and then people would have be all over it.

One of my worries is we might be seeing a trend here, lower quality and a growing arrogance from Lego that us fans will just lap up whatever they throw at us. We are already hearing the planned UCS Snowspeeder has been pulled for this year, leaving us with a Death Star at the end of the year, not much known there but the roumor is it is an update of the recently retired one but I guarantee it will be more expensive, will the updated figures justify it, is a it a major overhaul, who knows?
Hamington Chronicles Volume 1 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L2BXOJ0
Hamington Chronicles Volume 2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RNH5WI8
Hamington Chronicles Volume 3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01412RVI6

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Wed May 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Quick heads up. If you haven't got one then my local Sainsburys has 75052 Mos Eisley Cantina for about 20% discounted price of £48.50.

Although that's not a huge discount this is (and has been for at least a month) a retired set and, if like me, you missed it then it'll currently set you back £80+ on eBay.

Here's a link to the Lego site showing the set. Quality set with good amount of minifigures:

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Mos-Eisley-Cantina-75052#

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Wed May 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Amazing set if you can get it. Lots of figures, some nice additional parts (Dewback and Landspeeder) and the cantina itself is pretty cool 8)
martial arts, death, killing stuff......crazy fucking ninja.

MY FEEDBACK

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Wed May 25, 2016 12:21 pm

MY FEEDBACK

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting Gary, a very interesting, and in some ways, worrying report! I bet they'll have history books in hundreds of years using Lego as their evidence of how the world was!

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Wed May 25, 2016 8:38 pm

If it sells they'll make it but I think this set is worth a vote to help support it, it's got my vote :D - https://ideas.lego.com/projects/137916

Ian

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 pm

Now that I would like!!

Go well with my haunted mansion!

MY FEEDBACK

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 am

sith-smith wrote:Now that I would like!!

Go well with my haunted mansion!

I know and my Scooby haunted house! :D

Ian

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Fri May 27, 2016 2:08 pm

No cousin IT? Surely they should include that too!
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Fri May 27, 2016 5:17 pm

robpmarsh wrote:No cousin IT? Surely they should include that too!

Good point and I'm sure Lego would include this figure if it gets the go ahead.

Ian

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Is there a good chance it will go ahead if it gets enough support?

MY FEEDBACK

Return to “Modern Collecting”