Header image

The LEGO Corner

Talk about modern (post 1985) Hasbro toys, including POTF2.
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: The LEGO Corner

Postby Palifan » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 pm

sith-smith wrote:Is there a good chance it will go ahead if it gets enough support?

You never know with these things. I get the feeling they put a bunch of them up together that get the required votes and decide from there which one they want to go ahead with. Maybe market research goes into it with making something a little different each time (or perhaps as simple as who gets the required votes the quickest).

It's a slight mystery but I'm sure there's some kind of method to it (there is a section on this on the latest Lego documentary but I can't remember what was said).

Ian

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon May 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Great Adams Family set, just voted for it. Thanks for highlighting, Ian.

The process is that 10k votes get's it to a sort of round table discussion at Lego. They look at a range of factors, not least how much money can be made from it. That comes down to whether it can be sourced from existing pieces or new tooling needs to be considered, how many sets they can shift, whether it fits into their target market and whether it brings something new to the range.

The only issue I see with them doing it is that it would be part of the Lego Ideas range and, to date, the largest of those sets has been a few hundred pieces. The Adams Family set would need to be a couple of thousand and so is a bit of a risk: The set doesn't fit in with an existing "theme" (other than Ideas) so would be unlikely to appeal to the wider cross section of the market. I'd buy one but I don't think that would swing Lego.

As for Lego becoming more "weaponized" I think that's an inevitability with the franchises they've taken on rather than Lego themselves deliberately looking to include weapons. All the Marvel comics they have sets for involve conflict, same with the DC sets. Star Wars explains in the title it's about conflict! Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter (I bet the counted the wands as weapons!) all involve conflict. More a sign of society than a sign of Lego following society, I think. On the other hand look at all the popular lines and items they've done that don't involve conflict: Wall-E, Ghostbusters (arguably it does and arguably the proton packs are weapons but I'd go with "tools"), The Simpsons, all the Disney sets, Angry Birds (angry but not armed!), all of them unarmed. And Lego's biggest own brand launch in the last couple of decades? Lego Friends. Not only aimed at girls but not even a handbag swinging feature amongst the sets!

Yes, Lego sets contain more weapons than ever but those are due to the franchises purchases rather than Lego designing violence into sets.

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Tue May 31, 2016 1:33 am

I'd love the Addams set. I feel the monster fighters set could have had a lot more in it, so anything that could loosely fit in with that would be good 8)
martial arts, death, killing stuff......crazy fucking ninja.

MY FEEDBACK

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Tue May 31, 2016 6:26 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:Great Adams Family set, just voted for it. Thanks for highlighting, Ian.

The process is that 10k votes get's it to a sort of round table discussion at Lego. They look at a range of factors, not least how much money can be made from it. That comes down to whether it can be sourced from existing pieces or new tooling needs to be considered, how many sets they can shift, whether it fits into their target market and whether it brings something new to the range.

The only issue I see with them doing it is that it would be part of the Lego Ideas range and, to date, the largest of those sets has been a few hundred pieces. The Adams Family set would need to be a couple of thousand and so is a bit of a risk: The set doesn't fit in with an existing "theme" (other than Ideas) so would be unlikely to appeal to the wider cross section of the market. I'd buy one but I don't think that would swing Lego.

As for Lego becoming more "weaponized" I think that's an inevitability with the franchises they've taken on rather than Lego themselves deliberately looking to include weapons. All the Marvel comics they have sets for involve conflict, same with the DC sets. Star Wars explains in the title it's about conflict! Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings and even Harry Potter (I bet the counted the wands as weapons!) all involve conflict. More a sign of society than a sign of Lego following society, I think. On the other hand look at all the popular lines and items they've done that don't involve conflict: Wall-E, Ghostbusters (arguably it does and arguably the proton packs are weapons but I'd go with "tools"), The Simpsons, all the Disney sets, Angry Birds (angry but not armed!), all of them unarmed. And Lego's biggest own brand launch in the last couple of decades? Lego Friends. Not only aimed at girls but not even a handbag swinging feature amongst the sets!

Yes, Lego sets contain more weapons than ever but those are due to the franchises purchases rather than Lego designing violence into sets.

Thanks for all the insight into the way Lego make their choices. It's along the lines of what I suspected and I'm going to hold out some hope that this Adams family set gets the go ahead (although you might be right about it being a long shot with the size of it).

Ian

starshipriot
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby starshipriot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 am

Heya guys

Doing a review of 1999 star wars lego sets and how excited I was as s 9 year old when I first saw this pic in the beano. Does anyone have a version in english?

Thanks!

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm sure I've seen that in some comics from around 1999, mate. Buggered if I can remember which ones thout and I have 1000s..... sorry :/

Had a touch at the car boot this morning. In addition to a Palitoy-A baggied R5-D4 (in LA thread) I picked up a couple of kilos of vintage Lego. All clearly Space and early fire brigade stuff. In addition to half a dozen complete spacemen I also was (nearly) about to complete these classic set! Only some very basic pieces and one large grey board. Nothing that's hard to find, that's for sure, maybe 6 pieces in total missing. I love it! Lego 924 Space Transporter:

L924.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:29 pm

That's a great car boot vintage lego find and there must be something in the air today for lego as I managed to pick up some bits from a garage sale this morning in the states.

Picked up this one that was complete with box and manuals - http://brickset.com/sets/4993-1/Cool-Convertible

This one had no box but is near complete (just a few small bits missing), and has the manuals - http://brickset.com/sets/8448-1

This lot came with a big bag of random lego bricks and bases that were brand new and cost me $30 for the lot, it's been a good morning for lego :D

Ian

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Wow, superb find, Ian. Not even seen that Corbette set before! Like you say, it's been a Lego tastic day on both sides of the pond :)

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi guys, I think I may have posted on the wrong thread, put up my Lego star wars stuff in modern sale section didn't realise there was a Lego bit, not sure how to merge it here.... Any help on value really appreciated as need to refocus on moc
Cheers
phil

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Love that Lego set. Can't get enough vintage space!! 8)

MY FEEDBACK

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:55 pm

With all pieces officially counted and present, I and can finally confirm that I have completed the modular set run thanks to the arrival of this last set...

Huge thanks to Simon (ScruffyLookingNH) for finding this for me

MY FEEDBACK

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Congrats Gary on completing your lego run, I can imagine that it's going to take up a fair amount of space to display them all at once but it would certainly look impressive. :D

Nice one,

Ian

sith-smith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby sith-smith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Cheers

Through in the Ghost Busters HQ and it's going to need some serious space.

And hopefully they'll bring out another modular soon!

MY FEEDBACK

Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Palifan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm

Did anyone manage to see the new Rogue One lego sets recently that got leaked?

Ian

Spookedhippie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Spookedhippie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:34 pm

I did, they were a mixed bag from what I can remember, the atst looked good and the new tie fighter

Return to “Modern Collecting”