48 back (Offerless) 4-Lom MOC

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hi everyone, Im not yet in a position to buy this as I know it will be a major purchase but I wanted to test the water to see if anyone here owns one or knows someone who does own one. From what I can gather, these really are as rare as rocking horse ****!

Someone? Anyone?? :|

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Hi there, couple of years ago(when I was collecting Kenner) I was bidding on a 31 back Bossk which is alot harder to find than many people over here may think!

The guy who was selling it(located in the States) was selling up his collection and he listed an offerless 48 back 4LOM mint. I only noticed with interest because the bidding was going crazy and I didn't know why at the time so I asked the seller. He reckoned he picked it up 15 years before for peanuts and currently there were only 3 known to exist! It went for well over $3000+ and looked like a dealer bought it!

So if what the seller said is true, a genuine rarity. Rarer than a Palitoy 12 back large head Han Solo!!

I wish you the very best of luck searching, looks like you will need it mate!

PGowdy

Grand Master
Hey Chris,
I remember a while ago seeing an amazing 4-lom collection on some random sight when i was searching pics of him a while back. Whoever it is has pretty much every single 4-lom moc available.
He was Canadian i seem to recall...
I will try to hunt him down and get back to you.

Just think he might be a good person to ask as i'm sure he know where to find them. He might even be willing to sell you one.

Watch this space...

PGowdy

Grand Master
Ta-da!
I tracked him down. He's a member of a canadian forum called snowtroopers.ca
His 4-lom collection is amazing! Might be worth dropping him a message on there and seeing if he can help you out.
His name is nighttrain. Scroll down about half way and you'll see his post of his 4-lom collection.
http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=13793.120

Here's his collection in all it's glory- :eek:
IMG_4513.jpg

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Nightrain is Kevin A : http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=vintagedisplay&Number=3149311&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
I think that offerless ESB is Palitoy ie. no Kenner logo on the front

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Thanks for all the input on this guys and to Pete for tracking down the limelight. Unfortunately James is right, it is the Palitoy version in his photo and therefore no good to me. :cry:

It just goes to show how hard an ESB offerless 4-lom is to find when someone with a dedicated focus like this still doesnt have one. :|

The saga continues.I may still drop him a line though. Cant do any harm. :wink:

PGowdy

Grand Master
I see, yeah i didn't notice the lack of a kenner logo.

I'd deff drop him a line tho. You never know. He may have some inside info. :)

Joe

Grand Master
He does have one actually.

It's here -
IMG_6064-1.jpg

He also has a Pal version -
IMG_4869.jpg

In that link Pete supplied above he wrote -

"I finally got one of the rarest production figures out there. The Kenner ESB offerless 4-LOM. You can find ESB offerless cards but usually they are from Palitoy (UK release). You can tell the difference between the two as the Palitoy version does not have the white and blue Kenner logo on the bottom right of the card.

The bubble has taken a beating over the years but the cardback is fantastic. Given the rarity of the figure, I'm happy to display it in this condition!

Kenner ESB 48A Offerless:"

spoons

Grand Master
I find the US market crazy, the offerless 48 back 4-LOM is a common figure on a common card but just rare together.

There must be loads of logoless Palitoy equivalents that sell for relative peanuts, where only one or two are known, and even other Kenner cards must exist in as low numbers, but because 4-LOM is a widely advertised rarity it goes for crazy money :roll:

The 79 back Han Hoth is really elusive but the one that has popped up didn't sell for more than £100 because it doesn't look rare - how does the 4-LOM differ?

The headman talk on RS is the same, I'm not disputing it's a rare item but all the talk of 2 or 3 or whatever known examples isn't that amazing (relatively speaking). I'm pretty sure Gary has some one off Palitoys that don't generate anywhere near as much fuss. Although I do concede that a carded headman does look fantastic

Anyway rant over, I just think that sometimes what the US market dictates is 'desirable' becomes vastly overpriced. I'm off to look at some rare but cheap logoless Palitoys :)

Joe

Grand Master
I think the thing is that the 48 back was his debut with him being offered as a free mail away on the 47 backs right?

Many us guys collected offerless debut runs since the 90's and that means they wanted all figures on Kenner offerless cards on their debut release cardback, Han Hoth would have been on an earlier offerless ESB card so no-one took any notice of him being hard to find on a 79 back.

I find the trends a little odd to say the least but the offerless debut thing is something I know many people (at least stateside) had a craving for for a long time and that drove the obsession with finding an offerless 48 back 4-Lom

Joe

Grand Master
FWIW- I agree its hard to find but its probably not the rarest production figure/card back combination, I can think of a few 79 backs that still aren't even known to exist :eek:

spoons

Grand Master
Joe said:
I think the thing is that the 48 back was his debut with him being offered as a free mail away on the 47 backs right?

Many us guys collected offerless debut runs since the 90's and that means they wanted all figures on Kenner offerless cards on their debut release cardback, Han Hoth would have been on an earlier offerless ESB card so no-one took any notice of him being hard to find on a 79 back.

I find the trends a little odd to say the least but the offerless debut thing is something I know many people (at least stateside) had a craving for for a long time and that drove the obsession with finding an offerless 48 back 4-Lom

Good point Joe, I'd not considered that in my rant - but I still think it's crazy money (though no difference from a tri-Madine I suppose)

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
All very valid and understandable points Joe and spoons. I know that there are countless examples of rarer production items out there and I certainly
dont dispute that as soon as one of these does come up for sale it will command a lot of money. unfortunately that is just the market and there's little that can be done to change that. advertising of the rarity of this piece has a lot to do with it. people are reluctant to sell when sites claim that it is one of the rarest production cards in existence. It is also listed as a grail item on one site. Although so too is a blue snaggletooth which let's face it is relatively common in real terms. Easily found on eBay on a regular basis that's for sure.
all I know is that I need to track one of these 4-lom mocs down to complete my carded run unfortunately.
other figures that are almost as or just as rare in that kenner line is the esb black security guard and r2-d2 sensorscope on offerless cards.
again I will need to track down these too. I would love to complete a carded run of palitoys but I simple don't and never will have that kind of cash. :cry:

Joe

Grand Master
I know black_falcon on RS has a cardback if it helps lol (I think his name is Graham?)

Out of interest what kind of price do they go for? I have seen a few but never for sale.

spoons

Grand Master
Caswellbot said:
All very valid and understandable points Joe and spoons. I know that there are countless examples of rarer production items out there and I certainly
dont dispute that as soon as one of these does come up for sale it will command a lot of money. unfortunately that is just the market and there's little that can be done to change that. advertising of the rarity of this piece has a lot to do with it. people are reluctant to sell when sites claim that it is one of the rarest production cards in existence. It is also listed as a grail item on one site. Although so too is a blue snaggletooth which let's face it is relatively common in real terms. Easily found on eBay on a regular basis that's for sure.
all I know is that I need to track one of these 4-lom mocs down to complete my carded run unfortunately.
other figures that are almost as or just as rare in that kenner line is the esb black security guard and r2-d2 sensorscope on offerless cards.
again I will need to track down these too. I would love to complete a carded run of palitoys but I simple don't and never will have that kind of cash. :cry:

I meant no offence Chris, I know I've paid silly money for another man's chip paper :oops: :)

I was just wondering aloud why 4-LOM was so pricey

Good luck with the hunt, and I'll keep my eyes peeled

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
None taken mate honestly. I know what you mean and I def agree. It's just one of those things I guess. Thanks for saying you'll keep an eye out mate. I really appreciate that. :wink:

e30318is

Sith Lord
I bought an offerless cardback with figure of ebay. The logo areas was obscured by the figure.... I has happy though- offerless 4lom esb card....then found out the palitoy one isnt that rare. I made the mistake of having a small amount of knowledge. VERY dangerous! Does anyone have an idea of what a used kenner cardback would be worth? 20 quid? 50 quid? More?
Good luck with the hunt Chris!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom