U Grade FAQ

Vaders_Child

Padawan
weasel said:
Ohh and fair play to Tom for coming out and posting about U grades. Although, my god that was a long, and in parts horribly boring, post!

Oh yeah i had to take breaks whilst i was reading Toms post,my eyes went blurred at one point :shock:
Good post though

Vermillion

Youngling
Just catching up and learning about the collectors market.

This whole U-grade scheme seems badly flawed to me, and I'm essentially a newcomer with no real agenda.
I hate the idea of de-carding a figure purely to box it up in a different way. It totally counters the value (in a sentimental sense) of the original packaging.

Great site in the original post though. And the acceptance of badly damaged cards as being more relevant for U-Grading is a valid point.

But destroying mint cards. In the words of You Know Who...

"NNNNNNooooooooooooooo"

plantman

Sith Lord
i think the "fad" is slowly dying now anyway

the U grade wankfest brought out the geeks in collecting, and now everyone has done it and there isnt a killer profit it going down.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Last weekend I was offered an AFA U85 Grade Dark Brown Rebel for $2,000!!! WTF???

There is no difference between AFA 85 and AFA U85. It's the same quality. The only difference is in the mind.

Why do people waste there money???

If you want to open your MOCs for a nice minty loose figure then fine. But whats the point in incasing it in plastic after. It's still not loose! And it's not uncirculated if some stranger has been paid to put there grubby mits on it!

And if you want to open a MOC, then why not do it yourself and get the satisfaction rather than paying someone else to do it for you.

This has got to be the craziest part of this hobby I have ever known.

I don't know how any vintage star wars collecting enthusiast can do so much damage to the items they love and remember from their childhood!

olisuds

Sith Lord
Yes I think i saw some of his U90 figures. £1,300 for a Luke bespin anybody? Or how about £1,000 for a red snaggletooth? Absolutely ridiculous that anybody could concieve of spending that kind of money on a standard figure regardless of its condition. It's a complete joke!

plantman

Sith Lord
ive slowly watched this backwards, cocksucking, dumb trend die away and the ebay sales and forums suggest this is dying, thank god.

Jez

Sith Lord
Could one of you enlighten me as to why someone would want to take a piece of history (valuable history) and then pay someone else to remove it from its original packaging and then put it in a plastic box forever marking it with their impression/grading of the figure, that grader would then send it back to the owner? The owner now has a nice UV boxed figure (if it's not damaged, lost, incorrect etc) but the figure without its card has lost so much, the card backs themselves are nostalgic. The price the collector paid for postage and the service would have half paid for another MOC (cheap one)!

I just don't get it? :?

I have a loose collection and i'm beginning to build a MOC collection, I take great delight in showing off my collection to my mates and family whenever they visit as they are all of the same generation and really appreciate what I have, they especially like the MOCs.
Showing them a U graded AFA/UKG would be absolutely lost on them.
I as a collector like to have the loose figures as it reminds me of what I had, or wanted to have as a kid.
The MOCs are me appreciating history and a great inheritance for my 6 year old lad, who is soooo protective of daddies collection and loves playing with his beaters.
My lad is just as much of a SW geek as I am, so I know that for at least 2 more generations there will be MOCs which will not be getting sent to AFA/UKG.

Don't worry guys, MOCs will live forever!!

:D

Joe

Grand Master
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Loose-AFA-U90-ESB-Tri-Pod-Laser-Cannon-/300602245426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd4a4132#ht_726wt_1139

I bet you all want one!!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Joe said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Loose-AFA-U90-ESB-Tri-Pod-Laser-Cannon-/300602245426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd4a4132#ht_726wt_1139

I bet you all want one!!

That is possibly the STUPIDEST thing I've ever seen! :lol:

zilpha

Padawan
Interesting read. I can't believe this sort of thing goes on!

I can understand somebody wanting their figure authenticating, but to remove sealed figures seems crazy to me. :eek:

Surely they are worth more sealed? :?

maniac79

Jedi Master
Since it's only a few weeks ago that I re-started collecting, I must honestly say that I have never heard of U grading before reading this post. So thanks for the lesson. :)

Personally I am totally not into graded stuff, the same as I'm not into MISB stuff. (It's not that I like the thought of owning something that has never been opened and I understand the value these things have, but honestly, I'm the type of guy who likes to unpack the stuff every once in a while to put it on display or just enjoy the looks of it! :)) I'd rather go for a figure that would get a 85 grading if it was graded than for a figure that got a 90 grading. Maybe if I choose a figure for focus one day I might get one to somewhat "complete" my collection, but until that day I will rather buy loose figures/cards. It's also a question of money, I understand that graded pieces cost more for their quality is documented and the grading process costs money itself.

That's just my personal view of things, but I can fully understand that people collect graded stuff. Everyone can decide for themselves.

U grading is evil though. :D Only thing that I could imagine having U graded (in the future for completing my focus for example) would be a cut card.

Side note: Having said that I could imagine having Wicket as a focus. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom