U Grade FAQ

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Joe said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-Loose-AFA-U90-ESB-Tri-Pod-Laser-Cannon-/300602245426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd4a4132#ht_726wt_1139

I bet you all want one!!

Er no, not really, but I would love the baggied box that's in the little piece of acrylic - geek I know!, but I would love to get baggies together of not just figures but each & everything that came in baggie.

The U grading thing is pure insanity!, I was really please to here Steve @ UKG tell me he would not U grade things unless they were a 60 or so, maybe a bright spark on the horizon, no chance of AFA following suit - money grabbing gits, the whole U grading thig has made my collecting focus a real challenge as the baggies are becoming rarer & rarer due to this :evil:

Grant

Sith Lord
2 or 3 years ago I used to own a really minty carded 12-A Back Jawa Vinyl Cape. It was graded AFA 85. It had excellent sub grades. C85 B85 F90. The card was unpunched. No price stickers and it had a really nice flat lying card with a crystal clear bubble etc etc. I picked that piece up for £3000. Its long gone now but if you compare this price and piece to what the last U95 Jawa Vinyl Caped loose figure sold for about 18 months ago to a friend of a friend of a friend. It sounds mad.

Im not bashing anyone here Im just pointing out what people are or were dropping for the (U) designation. I myself would much prefer a sweet carded example or sweet bagged example figure BUT its not for me to tell people what to spend their hard earned money on or to tell them how to collect. My 2 pence worth.

Starzone

Padawan
I think you guys are being harsh....It would be a dream of mine to own a U grade Blue Snag.

To think it has only being handled buy around 6 people would be a dream, the person who takes it from the production line, then the person who bags it, then the person who opens the bag and passes it to the person who grades it and then onto the person who encases it.
Yes I am being saracstic, what an absolute joke....never touched by Human hands, don't make me laugh :x

If you think about it, anyone has loose figures from childhood are probably more un-circulated than U-grade figures and may have been handled by fewer people

Grant

Sith Lord
Grant said:
2 or 3 years ago I used to own a really minty carded 12-A Back Jawa Vinyl Cape. It was graded AFA 85. It had excellent sub grades. C85 B85 F90. The card was unpunched. No price stickers and it had a really nice flat lying card with a crystal clear bubble etc etc. I picked that piece up for £3000. Its long gone now but if you compare this price and piece to what the last U95 Jawa Vinyl Caped loose figure sold for about 18 months ago to a friend of a friend of a friend. It sounds mad.

Im not bashing anyone here Im just pointing out what people are or were dropping for the (U) designation. I myself would much prefer a sweet carded example or sweet bagged example figure BUT its not for me to tell people what to spend their hard earned money on or to tell them how to collect. My 2 pence worth.

I forgot to mention the price of the loose U95 Jawa Vinyl Cape that sold a few years back. It was $6000...

PGowdy

Grand Master
Starzone said:
I think you guys are being harsh....It would be a dream of mine to own a U grade Blue Snag.

To think it has only being handled buy around 6 people would be a dream, the person who takes it from the production line, then the person who bags it, then the person who opens the bag and passes it to the person who grades it and then onto the person who encases it.
Yes I am being saracstic, what an absolute joke....never touched by Human hands, don't make me laugh :x

If you think about it, anyone has loose figures from childhood are probably more un-circulated than U-grade figures and may have been handled by fewer people

This makes no sense at all. Never understood this argument as surly BEFORE an item is UGraded, ie; still in it's baggie or on it's moc, it has been touched by LESS people than when it's ripped open by the idiots at AFA... no??
The fact that a toy in it's bubble or baggie hasn't been touched in 30 years IS alluring and a fun thing to think. But once a toy has been touched modern day, whether by one, two or three people it's no longer preserved in any way shape or form. A "U"Grade would be more fitting if it was an "H"Grade for "Handled" because that's what they are now. A recently handled toy... "ooh, sweet how much??!" Whatever way you look at it. It is an idiotic and meaningless practice invented by the likes of the AFA to get fools to part with their money. Luckily the vile and destructive habit is dying out, especially in the UK. Hopefully the sense and realisation will spread to the US in time.

EmperorNapolean

Padawan
Hi Guys, my honest opinion is that the U grade will become less significant as time goes by. The actual grade is the most important. I personally cannot understand why people pay significant premiums for the U grade.
A recent example would be a U AFA 85 Blue Snaggletooth at 650UK when an AFA 85 could be purchased 200-250UK.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
I believe you guys are misguided in you statements about U Grading.

I have it on good authority that these figures are opened by specially trained armless monkeys who use their highly defined buttocks muscles to gently squeeze said figure from it's original bubble, once freed from it's disgustingly vintage authentic card it is cleansed of any remaining 1970-1980 finite particulates that may remain and transported through the air using telepathic mind control to it's awaiting perspex prison.

Thus never being touched by human hands, a monkeys arse yes, but never a human hand! :D

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
BlueDog said:
I believe you guys are misguided in you statements about U Grading.

I have it on good authority that these figures are opened by specially trained armless monkeys who use their highly defined buttocks muscles to gently squeeze said figure from it's original bubble, once freed from it's disgustingly vintage authentic card it is cleansed of any remaining 1970-1980 finite particulates that may remain and transported through the air using telepathic mind control to it's awaiting perspex prison.

Thus never being touched by human hands, a monkeys arse yes, but never a human hand! :D

Thats a pretty fair assement of the U Grade Ryan! :lol:

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Good read Shawn, i've always hated U grades, never really liked AFA graded stuff in general. I like to receive the figure, have a good look at it and handle it. A Star Case or similar is good enough protection for me. Couldnt beleive those pics of the card backs in the article. What a waste of lovely carded figures :( :(

itfciain

Grand Master
Many SW-ESB-ROTJ-POTF cards were killed to bring you these beautiful U graded figures

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLLECTION-44-LOOSE-SW-ESB-ROTJ-POTF-AFA-U85-FIGURES-UNCIRCULATED-/300657335500?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item460092dccc

lee gray

Sith Lord
I like AFA and 90 grades and like the cases....however as far as U grades go, I think that is a dumb grade, I mean who really cares if its been touched or not, it makes no difference to the condition plus as stated every figure still inside the bubble is even more of a U grade.

Dom

Jedi Master
AFA is fine

AFA U is for people that just completely don`t get the whole point of collecting. I would love to have the cash to buy AFA and say that most of the U grade figures are frauds and not what they say. Yeah it would kill the company, but it would be worth it to stick it to all the U collectors

itfciain

Grand Master
Not sure if everyone has read this at the bottom of Shaun's link but they should do

AFA U GRADE - READ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom