UK customs - Info that might help!!

Joe

Grand Master
So why are you guys being charged so much only for you to find out you can get it refunded?

All those unchallenged custom charges over the years add up..

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
So, I'm going to try this too.

I received a bill today for VAT + handing costs of €50. As the seller only has an eBay feedback of 13 (95% as a buyer) I think I can confidently prove that he is not a business and the transaction isn't liable for VAT. I therefore should have a strong case for getting my money back.

e30318is

Sith Lord
Is it possible to pre pay customs? I am buying an item that will attract fees, the last time I had to pay customs they held it for over a week before writing to me. I was hoping to prepay the customs and get it sent for authenticating, before the 30 day Paypal time expires.

Cheers

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I know this is an old thread but I had to share this.

Steve is spot on with this info. If you are importing an item of "Historic Importance" or something highly collectible then you should only be paying 5 % . I made a claim after receiving my Proto 3 pack and after sending 2 letters and making 1 phone call I had a lovely cheque posted to me. :D

Paul-itoy

Jedi Knight
It's got to be worth trying top get the seller to mark the box in a manner that states the contents are 'vintage' or a similar term, a bit like AFA do when only offering a service. At least if you are charged it might be right first time rather than chasing it up for a refund.

'Old collectible toy' HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I am on to HMRC tomorrow as I have a 2nd parcel in the process of getting VAT slapped on me within a month, hope I may even be able to claim back fro the one I have already paid for.

Thanks for this info Steve!

PS can this be made a sticky as was mentioned b4? as I am sure I am not the only one to find it useful & with luck wallet replenishing, thanks to Oto 4 linking me the page ;)

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
I can make it a sticky Frank but then you will almost have to scroll to see the first non sticky thread and I don't really want that.

Can move it to the reference guide though. What about that?

Joe

Grand Master
Paul-itoy said:
It's got to be worth trying top get the seller to mark the box in a manner that states the contents are 'vintage' or a similar term, a bit like AFA do when only offering a service. At least if you are charged it might be right first time rather than chasing it up for a refund.

'Old collectible toy' HMRC code 9705000090 5% VAT applicable only.

I wonder if anyone here has done this? Getting the seller to mark the above code somewhere or at least put that description on the customs forms?

I wondered if you were to be so specific it might cause them to be more nosey and perhaps open the box up? (not that they could prove you didn't pay say $100 for $500 worth of toys surely)

I may be encountering this in the future so wanted to know if anyone had successfully done what Paul suggested above, I would rather them charge the correct amount in the first place (5% seems ok to me!) than go through a claims procedure because they don't know how to do their jobs properly!

Lee77

Sith Lord
It worked for me Joe. I bought an item from Frank at Final Frontier Toys. When they fill the form out that gets stuck on the box, there's a space that says something like 'destinations tax code' or something like that. It's in that box where they need to put the code. Then in the description box, they need to put vintage collectibles, or words to that effect. It can be a little confusing for the sender, but Final Frontier were really good. The second time, they even marked the value down. I think the value marked, and the insurance amount are two different things, but I could be wrong.
If anyone's got the paperwork from a USA delivery, it would be handy if they could scan it in, then have it as a sticky to email to people who you buy from in America. :D

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
When I send stuff over to the UK, I am as vague in the description as much as the post office will allow (Action figures, toy ship, cards etc). I do this for two reasons. One is here in the states it may come up missing, as if the postal workers see vintage star wars...it may end up in the back of their truck on the way home. The other reason is to save you guys the headache and huge customs charges.

Joe

Grand Master
Lee77 said:
It worked for me Joe. I bought an item from Frank at Final Frontier Toys. When they fill the form out that gets stuck on the box, there's a space that says something like 'destinations tax code' or something like that. It's in that box where they need to put the code. Then in the description box, they need to put vintage collectibles, or words to that effect. It can be a little confusing for the sender, but Final Frontier were really good. The second time, they even marked the value down. I think the value marked, and the insurance amount are two different things, but I could be wrong.
If anyone's got the paperwork from a USA delivery, it would be handy if they could scan it in, then have it as a sticky to email to people who you buy from in America. :D

Awesome! First hand experience of it working then that's great thanks Lee!

Will definitely try this on the next box that comes over!

Joe

Grand Master
tiefighterboy said:
When I send stuff over to the UK, I am as vague in the description as much as the post office will allow (Action figures, toy ship, cards etc). I do this for two reasons. One is here in the states it may come up missing, as if the postal workers see vintage star wars...it may end up in the back of their truck on the way home. The other reason is to save you guys the headache and huge customs charges.

Good idea, the code referenced above should enough for the formal side of things and "plastic toys" (as a friend of mine usually writes down) should stop prying eyes!

Lee77

Sith Lord
Depends on what type of PLASTIC TOYS they are Joe!!!! You know how some people's minds work!!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist it :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom