U Grade FAQ

RobF1968

Youngling
Hi Shawn,

Many Thanks for the post - it makes fascinating and informative reading. As someone selling figures from my childhood for the first time I can only hope they give a collector as much pleasure as they gave me as a kid.

I see what you mean about the cards and bubbles - although my bubbles are dented and a couple have cracks I now see the importance to this hobby of keeping what in effect amounts to pieces of history intact.
Such a shame to not keep the whole thing together!

I hope things change.

All The Best

Rob

Djbighair

Jedi Master
As an earlier post on page 3 :lol: I have just returned to the hobby and this whole grading thing was new to me... I did most of my loose collection from childhood and boot sales in my early 20's or the old corn exchange in Manchester before someone blew it up. A day out was fun if you came a way with a beat up weapon less figure you didn't own. That's gone now... eBay took away the hunt. Now this grading system seems to me... Like a man unsure of his manhood not content with just having the item it's mine is bigger better than yours. You collect what you collect it's quality is your choice and down to your purse.. Or luck in finding that piece somewhere random. Removing a figure from a card is madness to be put in another box. I agree for your own pleasure great, I am sure one day I may open a card, just to see if that fresh open smell of a new toy gives the same feeling I got opening a gamorrean guard back in 84. Still remember it, awesome.

Stick the most beat up card in a star case, surely is better. Can't understand it.

But, thank you for this knowledge, it will make sure I stay focused and not buy something I don't agree with.

Rich

Ps.... Where is the best place to buy star cases from in the uk?

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Hey Rob,

Contact Iain (Itfciain) on here mate, from memory he has a good deal going on Star cases at the moment.

Ryan

theslider

Sith Lord
What I don't understand about all this is the fact that the figures is MINT ON CARD (or baggie), yet they only grade it 90 (out of a 100)! Personally I think all these grading organisations are a sham, what right to they have to say your figure, card or whatever else is a certain grade? I think the only thing they're good for is those nice plastic cases to prevent damage!

Howard

Padawan
Great read, learned a lot. Thanks

I have a couple of de-figured card backs were I guess a previous collector sent a MOC to AFA for a U grade. Are these worth anything to anyone now? (A question of interest only, I am not looking to sell)

Howard

Padawan
Dark Sith Lord said:
Depends what they are mate? Are they ROTJ ESB Forign Offers?? Any pics?

The two that I remember clearly where POTF, possibly a ROTJ Leia Boussh as well. No pics at the moment though

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Anyone read that long winded post on RS? :twisted:

Quote - "If people believe that leaving a figure on the card is somehow preserving it, well, unfortunately I'm not in that camp. "

:?

Here is a link - http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1034227-33/#post18920051

plantman

Sith Lord
I can understand people opening a moc for their own enjoyment, thats up to the person in question, peoples obsession with AFA grades makes the money makers come out though.

Once a premium is charged for something thats the end of it.

theslider

Sith Lord
plantman said:
I can understand people opening a moc for their own enjoyment, thats up to the person in question, peoples obsession with AFA grades makes the money makers come out though.

Once a premium is charged for something thats the end of it.

And that's another thing that bugs me about U grading, is that some Fat American on his sweaty arse gets to open a carded figure or baggie! Apologies to any fat, sweaty American members!

lostboy87

Padawan
Djbighair said:
As an earlier post on page 3 :lol: I have just returned to the hobby and this whole grading thing was new to me... I did most of my loose collection from childhood and boot sales in my early 20's or the old corn exchange in Manchester before someone blew it up. A day out was fun if you came a way with a beat up weapon less figure you didn't own. That's gone now... eBay took away the hunt. Now this grading system seems to me... Like a man unsure of his manhood not content with just having the item it's mine is bigger better than yours. You collect what you collect it's quality is your choice and down to your purse.. Or luck in finding that piece somewhere random. Removing a figure from a card is madness to be put in another box. I agree for your own pleasure great, I am sure one day I may open a card, just to see if that fresh open smell of a new toy gives the same feeling I got opening a gamorrean guard back in 84. Still remember it, awesome.

Stick the most beat up card in a star case, surely is better. Can't understand it.

But, thank you for this knowledge, it will make sure I stay focused and not buy something I don't agree with.

Rich

Ps.... Where is the best place to buy star cases from in the uk?

Here Here!

jackabina

Sith Lord
Shawn, I know your original thread was set up ages ago but I've only just read it properly. Bloody informative mate, thanks for the info. :)

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
While i disagree with U-bend grading, the figures do show why this may well be so popular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-1977-ANH-12-Back-A-PRINCESS-LEIA-ORGANA-MOC-/221143631987?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=o3TU6kYlt%2FfcjnpY0VcgGUSN7YI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
And
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOSE-VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-PRINCESS-LEIA-ORGANA-AFA-U85-HK-COO-/251025093716?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3a7242f454

Nearly double the value after paying for the grade............

itfciain

Grand Master
I'm not sure they would UGrade that first card as you can probably touch the figure. Also, Robbie might be asking for £99 for his Leia but that doesn't mean he'll get it !

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Hi Iain, I thought as long as the figure cant be removed from the bubble cracked and lifting bubbles were "ok" for a U grade.

itfciain

Grand Master
jambobbyb said:
Hi Iain, I thought as long as the figure cant be removed from the bubble cracked and lifting bubbles were "ok" for a U grade.

To be honest I am not up with the in's and out's of UGrading - but presumed that if the lift or crack were big enough for the figure to be 'touched' then it could not get an untouched grade

Maybe someone could confirm this ?

theslider

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:
While i disagree with U-bend grading, the figures do show why this may well be so popular
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-1977-ANH-12-Back-A-PRINCESS-LEIA-ORGANA-MOC-/221143631987?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=o3TU6kYlt%2FfcjnpY0VcgGUSN7YI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
And
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOSE-VINTAGE-STAR-WARS-PRINCESS-LEIA-ORGANA-AFA-U85-HK-COO-/251025093716?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3a7242f454

Nearly double the value after paying for the grade............

That's just ****ing sickening! Though I think the price for the carded figure is low, this should not be happening! Especially as this example would've displayed fantastically.

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah, you notice that hasn't sold tho. He can ask what he wants but i'd be surprised if he got that much for it.
How much would grading and shipping cost? £20-£30?? So after ebay and paypal fees, taking into account the original shipping paid, you may end up with a £10 profit. If you're lucky. Not much of an incentive in my book.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Dont worry Chaps this one wont be being u graded, I picked it up and will be keeping it for my cheap run of unloved 12 backs! Pete thats why this guy does these in bulk more cards = less shipping costs. I just thought it interesting to point out a decent ish 12 back beater costs less than people are asking for a U graded item.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom