MOC Packing tip!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here is a technique I have been using for a while with a 100% success rate to post carded figures with fragile bubbles, eg ones that are yellowing or very thin like Return of the Jedi figures. This should help stop bubbles from cracking while in the post.

Many people put cardboard, cling film or bubble wrap around bubbles to help protect them as the figure rattles around inside during shipping. But in my opinion a much better way is to put an elastic band around the bubble. Obviously it needs to be the correct size - it must be loose enough not to apply any pressure on the bubble, but tight enough to grip the bubble.

I believe this method is very effective as it acts as a shock absorber. While cardboard or cling film might stop a cracked figure from escaping the bubble, it is unlikely to stop a bubble cracking as the damage occurs from the inside. However I believe this technique will absorb such impacts and prevent bubbles from cracking.

As you can see in the below picture, the elastic band is securely around the bubble without causing any damage, and as it grips around the head, hands and feet, it will help prevent those parts from bursting through the bubble should an impact occur.

Note: this will only work on bubbles without stems.

bubble.jpg

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Clingfilm works well, ordinary bog standard kitchen grade give the whole moc a couple of layers and make sure it's nice and sung against the bubble.

jasdev999

Jedi Master
It's the figure hitting the bubble that causes the cracked damage in transit. We are taking about a regular stress in transit like a box being dropped or waved. Nothing would save it if Postie actually sits on it :)

And both approaches have merit.

Either make the whole MOC move in a controlled manner with single MOC in a large box full of styrofoam beads. This does not work with MOCs in acrylic case or in star cases. In that case force transmitted on the figure is multiplied with the weight of acrylic case. I think this is what Section8 suggests.

Or

Restrict the MOC in a traditional way but pad the bubble in such a way that there is no give when the figure strikes it. I got a trilogo Barada from Sweden and the seller had cut a precise well in the styrofoam tray in which the rather fragile bubble fits snugly with no stress on the plastic.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Thought this was worth a bump following the recent yellow bubble discussion.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
ChallengerFox said:
Is the elastic band still ok to apply if the bubble is already cracked ?

I've never tried that to be honest, as above providing it is an elastic band that fits loosely so does not put too much pressure on the bubble, I don't see what harm it could do.

This method makes me feel very effective. Or wrap it with bubble film. If you hit it back and forth in the carton, it is also likely to be damaged. Large gaps can be filled with newspaper balls, and small ones can be filled with paper rolls or sponges. In the process of transportation, even if the outer package is damaged, as long as these buffers are fixed, it will not be damaged by the collision of broken hard objects. Maybe this method, what do you think?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom