U grade piss takes

plantman

Sith Lord
maybe a lot of collectors have stopped having stuff graded and its their only way of income? or if the bubble was so badly cracked it was gonna fall out?

I would ask steve, but like weas said, if thats what the customer asks for its gonna happen :(

ukgraders

Padawan
Just been told about this thread regarding the Yak Face, some harsh comments referring to us as cunts???? when you have not seen it in the flesh??.
The card was painted in black modelling paint like the Tamiya model paints you can get.
The entire back and most of the front of the card was painted, so the entire card was ruined with black paint hence the reason we agreed to U grade.

Steve

poncho

Grand Master
ukgraders said:
Just been told about this thread regarding the Yak Face, some harsh comments referring to us as cunts???? when you have not seen it in the flesh??.
The card was painted in black modelling paint like the Tamiya model paints you can get.
The entire back and most of the front of the card was painted, so the entire card was ruined with black paint hence the reason we agreed to U grade.

Steve
It was me who used the word ****. My comment was aimed at the person who sent it in to be graded it wasnt aimed at the graders.

I apologise for any offence caused i understand now why you graded it with the paint job :oops:

I see loose figures and cardbacks cased up and it frustrates me :evil:

Still a shame another yak has been opened what ever condition.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
ukgraders said:

Steve

Fair play for coming on to explain why it was graded. I still don't like "U grades" but I respect you for coming on to at least offer an explanation.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
We do love to jump all over something based on one photo :oops:

Cheers for the explanation Steve, good luck mate you are in a no win situation :wink:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah fair play for coming on here and giving your side of the story UKG, you provide a great service and I wish you all the best. I think it's great you can make a living out of something you are clearly passionate about.

However I still don't agree with this Yak being given a U grade, preservation should be priority in my opinion. U grade is a completely made up term which means nothing to me. But I am only one collector and don't expect everyone to share my views and neither should anyone else.

Jez

Sith Lord
Maybe he's swooped the ropey paint covered card for a different one as photos 5&6 show a nice looking card.
Fair play for coming on and explaining though.
U grading is still wrong.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Steve, fair play for coming on here and explaining why it was U graded. TO me, even though it was painted, it still shouldn't have been Ugraded but that is down to the person sending it in and requesting the service.

U grading damages the hobby and bit by bit it is putting me off carrying on collecting as the stuff I want and still need to find is becoming harder and harder to come by and more expensive, especially as I collect MOC's so for me, every U graded MOC is one less out there and a few ££ more on the one's left.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I don't really care what condition it was in, ugrade is a ugrade.

You, as a company, could make a huge stand and state that you just won't do ugrading, which would put you head and shoulders above AFA but sadly all you companies want to do is make a quick buck.

Explanation or not you still ugraded a vintage item, something that has been kept in it's box for 30 years + but for some reason you think you are the authority to rip it off the card.

Disappointing and I for one would certainly not use your service whilst you offer such a service.

monkeyboy

Padawan
Boba Skinner said:
I don't really care what condition it was in, ugrade is a ugrade.

You, as a company, could make a huge stand and state that you just won't do ugrading, which would put you head and shoulders above AFA but sadly all you companies want to do is make a quick buck.

Explanation or not you still ugraded a vintage item, something that has been kept in it's box for 30 years + but for some reason you think you are the authority to rip it off the card.

Disappointing and I for one would certainly not use your service whilst you offer such a service.
Hear hear.

walkie

Sith Lord
12 back u-graded c-3po, the seller is even selling it with the card :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-C-3PO-Droid-AFA-U85-Kenner-Vintage-1977-12-Back-Card-Action-Figure-/301524656893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46344522fd

indianawars

Sith Lord
What's quite sickening is this trend I see on places like eBay, where sellers ask for more money for a loose U grade than the MOC would cost. Some collectors 'like myself' don't have the deepest of pockets and really don'y mind buying a MOC with a few creases or a couple of knocks.

ukgraders

Padawan
Just wondered if anybody knows who this is.

I have contacted him because we have not had any R2's in recently for U grading unless his wording is just really poor and he means he cut it out before sending it in for grading?.
A couple of people have contacted him about it including myself but we have not had a response on the matter I wanted to know when it was graded ect but I have had no response.
There is no picture of a graded figure just a card back claiming we have opened it, or like I say just bad wording by him as it could also read that he sent just the figure in for grading to us, it just seems a bit misleading.
If you look closely the bubble is cracked on the bottom corner and then split/cut along the top side part of the bubble which is not how we would open it anyway unless the bubble was badly cracked at the bottom. I just want to get to the bottom of it as I can not get any response from the seller.
I am not sure why he would say we opened it and what he would gain apart from making us look bad or if it is just a genuine mistake.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Star-Wars-Vintage-LAST-17-R2D2-POP-UP-LIGHTSABER-CARD-WITH-SEALED-COIN-/111606870799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fc49b30f

Anyway as we have now banned U grading I hope we wont be cropping up on here any more.
Here's to the future!.

Steve

ukgraders

Padawan
I have just contacted the seller via ukgraders ebay account and has replied straight away with this response.

So he admitted it was a mistake and removed the auction.
I do not think people realise the damage saying things can do....

Steve

Attachments

• R2.PNG
    R2.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 4,917

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I know what you mean Steve, at least you got to the bottom of it and perhaps people will see this and think twice before writing stuff like that.

plantman

Sith Lord
unfortunately people will still open moc to try and get better grades, and the value of a 90 will rise as U grades fade, but its a massive step in the right direction, MOC prices rise and prevent any profit in opening them for loose grading.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom