Farthest From VIII Spring 2015

Richard_H

Grand Master
FF was awesome. A brilliant mix of different toy lines and merchandise. I think, other than the dodgy omelette, that this was the best one yet.

Thanks for all you did Dave.

David Tree

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
I'm not sure I understand Dave.

What was the criticism.

I didn't notice anything unusual from any other FF.

Well one for example was for Farthest From to take a 'stance' in the banning of the sale of reproductions, u-grades and Antoni Emchowicz recards.

None of those are common at the show to begin with and why is that? Because through a group collective of physically being together and learning from one another both those that trade and those that buy have already adopted those values to begin with and it is that what breeds better collecting.
I do not condone reproductions, u-grades etc, but then I don't condone grading as a concept or overhype of third party toy auctions as they all damage the overall hobby, but some are seen as acceptable, others not, just depends on the current agenda.
You cannot change it either, but you can change the mindset and that mindset can change the demand of the market.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
David Tree said:
Grant_C said:
I'm not sure I understand Dave.

What was the criticism.

I didn't notice anything unusual from any other FF.

Well one for example was for Farthest From to take a 'stance' in the banning of the sale of reproductions, u-grades and Antoni Emchowicz recards.

None of those are common at the show to begin with and why is that? Because through a group collective of physically being together and learning from one another both those that trade and those that buy have already adopted those values to begin with and it is that what breeds better collecting.
I do not condone reproductions, u-grades etc, but then I don't condone grading as a concept or overhype of third party toy auctions as they all damage the overall hobby, but some are seen as acceptable, others not, just depends on the current agenda.
You cannot change it either, but you can change the mindset and that mindset can change the demand of the market.

It was me who ruffled Dave's feathers.

We had a chat on the Saturday shortly after I arrived where we'd talked about this and I'd ask Dave if he would consider a public banishing in the same way that the forums and FB have been doing in recent weeks.

Dave, If I've upset you, I apologise. There was not meant to be any suggestion from me that the FF show is a vehicle for people to shift Tonis, repros or u-grades. I think I've seen 1 Toni in all the of shows I've been to and that's it.
There are very few come up on rebelscum or SWFUK either, but this public banishing has had results. Steve at UKG said
he was influenced by what has been happening online with the repro/u-grade banner campaign.

Given you chose not to mention it in the warm up speech on Sunday, I chose not to either.

You also made a good point that the majority of u-grading has already happened and that we are closing the barn door
after the horse has bolted so to speak. This may make it easier for AFA to give up on the practice. Time will tell.

Once again, sorry, I am your humble servant.

Mr Palitoy

Jason

Tickion

Padawan
Thanks Dave for a great day out. It was my first time at a FF and just wish i was more loaded as some amazing items on sale! Still i came away with some very nice loose figures, boxed vintage games, even a test shot figure! II had to fly before the talks etc began but hope to stick around longer at the next one and say hello, maybe even take in a curry.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
My pics from FF8:-

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153100636965149.1073741891.652110148&type=1&l=e4bbfddcc1

Jason

David Tree

Jedi Master
naughtyjedi said:
gutted you didn't go for a leaf analogy there.. :?

BOOM!

x-pack said:
Maybe not the right time ...but :lol:

It's always the right time :)

mr_palitoy said:
Dave, If I've upset you, I apologise. There was not meant to be any suggestion from me that the FF show is a vehicle for people to shift Tonis, repros or u-grades. I think I've seen 1 Toni in all the of shows I've been to and that's it.
There are very few come up on rebelscum or SWFUK either, but this public banishing has had results. Steve at UKG said
he was influenced by what has been happening online with the repro/u-grade banner campaign.

Given you chose not to mention it in the warm up speech on Sunday, I chose not to either.

You also made a good point that the majority of u-grading has already happened and that we are closing the barn door
after the horse has bolted so to speak. This may make it easier for AFA to give up on the practice. Time will tell.

Mr Palitoy

Jason

It's no problem at all Jason, but I truly believe to build a better place, better understanding is needed. To ban U-Grades but still accept Graded is double standards, as these exist in the first place because there are grading companies.
I don't believe anyone should be told what they can and can't buy either, it's their choice and if they wish to purchase over the odds for something, more fool them, however if they can be enlightened and understand why certain areas are not the best for the future, their collecting habits change and the demands/ market forces for products change for the better. I see so many people become more content with their collecting when they have are at ease knowing what they like, rather than consumed with obsession for something they think they like.
Whilst the show acts as source of procurement, it also acts an opportunity to learn, expand and adopt better values and ethics as collectors, and in two and a half years I think this is starting to show.
Exclusion will only create division and sub-culture allowing it to continue.

I know you have best intentions ultimately and everyone can see that, but from a perspective of working across several different toy collecting communities, change is bigger than any single person, website, facebook or show :)

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
David Tree said:
naughtyjedi said:
gutted you didn't go for a leaf analogy there.. :?

BOOM!

x-pack said:
Maybe not the right time ...but :lol:

It's always the right time :)

mr_palitoy said:

Mr Palitoy

Jason

It's no problem at all Jason, but I truly believe to build a better place, better understanding is needed. To ban U-Grades but still accept Graded is double standards, as these exist in the first place because there are grading companies.
I don't believe anyone should be told what they can and can't buy either, it's their choice and if they wish to purchase over the odds for something, more fool them, however if they can be enlightened and understand why certain areas are not the best for the future, their collecting habits change and the demands/ market forces for products change for the better. I see so many people become more content with their collecting when they have are at ease knowing what they like, rather than consumed with obsession for something they think they like.
Whilst the show acts as source of procurement, it also acts an opportunity to learn, expand and adopt better values and ethics as collectors, and in two and a half years I think this is starting to show.
Exclusion will only create division and sub-culture allowing it to continue.

I know you have best intentions ultimately and everyone can see that, but from a perspective of working across several different toy collecting communities, change is bigger than any single person, website, facebook or show :)

Ok, all is good then.

The usual selection of photos are on facebook, and also on flickr if you want hi res copies:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_jason_smith/sets/72157651137083672/

cheers Jason

mumbo

Sith Lord
Star-Wars-FF8-001.jpg.-edit.jpg

Who's stall was this?

Walrusman

Youngling
This was a great event, my first visit and my first post on here, just wanted to say thanks to the organisers.

Jez

Sith Lord
Walrusman said:
This was a great event, my first visit and my first post on here, just wanted to say thanks to the organisers.

Welcome to the forum. It's a bit of a minefield initially. but you'll soon feel at home i'm sure.
Introduce yourself here mate http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3797

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom