Why was Grand Moff Tarkin excluded from the original run?

nohandluke

Padawan
Seems we all had those little liars in school. I met more than a few here the states as well when I was growing up.

cantinos

Padawan
Is there a list of all the considered, but never released figures that kenner thought about manufacturing. I've only ever seen one concept figure that was never released. one of jabbas throne room dancers.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The dancer you mention and the Holiday Special Chewie's Family prototypes are the only ones I'm aware of personally.

Unless the Holiday Special thing was a brilliant spoof piece and I had a humour bypass that day.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
I don't think there's much mystery. He was far too boring to make the cut of the first 21, and a doesn't appear in ESB or ROTJ so he couldn't be released in those waves. If POTF had carried on we would have seen him, but the line was axed before he made the list.

lee gray

Sith Lord
looking at the original 12 figures all playing major roles or a somewhat decent role apart from the death squad commander. I use to think the DSC was just put in there at the last minute as Tarkins replacent when they couldnt do Tarkin himself as it does seem odd to have this imperial officer in the line up when he was the most background of background characters

Crumm

Padawan
chipsteak said:
On a separate note, my uncle in America did send me a Vader whose mask comes off but I can't show you it because my mum says I'm not allowed.

"I can't show you it or bring it in because my mum says i'm not allowed", ahhh the old favourite line of the compulsive liar :lol:

Crumm

Padawan
lee gray said:
looking at the original 12 figures all playing major roles or a somewhat decent role apart from the death squad commander. I use to think the DSC was just put in there at the last minute as Tarkins replacent when they couldnt do Tarkin himself as it does seem odd to have this imperial officer in the line up when he was the most background of background characters

I was thinking along those lines myself, His uniform does strongly resemble Tarkin's.

It always struck me as odd that DSC was one of the first 12. I always thought R5-D4 or Greedo would have been better.

Crumm

Padawan
BadMotivator said:
I don't think there's much mystery. He was far too boring to make the cut of the first 21, and a doesn't appear in ESB or ROTJ so he couldn't be released in those waves. If POTF had carried on we would have seen him, but the line was axed before he made the list.

Death Squad Commander was an odd choice then. He is nowhere near as interesting as Tarkin, never gets to speak (I don't think he does anyway, can't remember now, maybe he says something like "commence primary ignition" or something), and only had a few seconds of screen time.

jayums

Jedi Master
I'd says it's down to $$$$$$

First wave - Death squad commander sounded a lot cooler to 70s kids than the moff, and had a blaster. Second wave designed to flog expensive play sets. Then ESB arrived with a ton of new characters, and Tarkin was dead anyways.

I would have liked a Wedge, or just some plain ole tantive rebel troopers for Vader to slice his way through.

TrooperWill

Padawan
who cares about tarkin, kenner left out some really key players such as sand troopers and the rebels from the begining of ANH, stormtrooper Han and garindan( tatooine imp spy) to name a few. crucially sandtroopers and rebel troopers would have made great army builders and sold many more units than DSC, DSD or the much maligned IMP Dig. or for that matter tarkin.

there were some really odd choices made during the run, and i for one would happliy buy one of the toy designers dinner for the chance to pick their brains for an evening.

who else would YOU have liked to see imortalised in plastic?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom