Where do you rank the seven movies now?

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Hmmm. There's only four for me

1. Esb
2. Rotj
3. Star wars
4. Tfa

Jedi is a guilty pleasure of mine. I hammered watching as a kid for the scenes in jabbas palace. No issues with ewoks here until the singing and dancing. As a kid I guess I sympathized with them. Cute fuzzy David's versus goliath. plus Jedi has the final fight between Vader and Luke , Vader finally showing compassion for his son by killing the emperor. Very powerful scene that and lovely dialogue between Vader and Luke at the bitter end and between Luke and the emperor in the run up to it which gets luke riled.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
Mine:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

Don't care for the bottom two and only like a few scenes from Revenge of the Sith.

Joe

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
it's not the work of George Lucas

..and thank god for that! :lol:

Seriously though, I know they will always be seen as his movies and people will always say that without him there would be no Star Wars (which of course can't be denied)..but this devotion to GL despite the utter crap he subjected the fans to with the prequel movies will forever be a mystery for me! He has my gratitude for the OT of course but even so..there were literally hundreds if not thousands of people involved in making each of those 3 films as good as they were, people that were far more talented than Lucas, better directors, producers and even better story tellers..

If other people hadn't been involved in Star Wars and it had all been GL the OT could and probably would have been a total disaster, the prequels are direct proof of that.

No denying that he had a great vision and he gave us an amazing world full of fantastic characters but for me at least, GL should have let someone like JJ handle the prequels back when work began on them.

IMO him not being involved in TFA or the upcoming movies is a true blessing, I've not been this excited about Star Wars films (not the toys or hobby) in a long, long time and I missed it. It's nice to be a fan of the films again.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Joe said:
theforceuk said:
it's not the work of George Lucas

..and thank god for that! :lol:

Seriously though, I know they will always be seen as his movies and people will always say that without him there would be no Star Wars (which of course can't be denied)..but this devotion to GL despite the utter crap he subjected the fans to with the prequel movies will forever be a mystery for me! He has my gratitude for the OT of course but even so..there were literally hundreds if not thousands of people involved in making each of those 3 films as good as they were, people that were far more talented than Lucas, better directors, producers and even better story tellers..

If other people hadn't been involved in Star Wars and it had all been GL the OT could and probably would have been a total disaster, the prequels are direct proof of that.

No denying that he had a great vision and he gave us an amazing world full of fantastic characters but for me at least, GL should have let someone like JJ handle the prequels back when work began on them.

IMO him not being involved in TFA or the upcoming movies is a true blessing, I've not been this excited about Star Wars films (not the toys or hobby) in a long, long time and I missed it. It's nice to be a fan of the films again.

Each to their own I guess, but for me TFA has nothing I've not seen before and Star Wars was always ground breaking. Also shame they didn't find a better story teller for TFA, then they wouldn't have had to copy the George Lucas story. I really do like the new film, just not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I have always been bewildered by that as well.

I have always found Star Wars to be the antithesis of Dogma. the idolisation of Lucas reminds me of religion in regards to blind faith or maybe comparable to North Korea. This is not aimed at any posters, but there is a strong feeling within the community that he is 'God'.

Don't get me wrong, I will always love George Lucas. He has given so much happiness and I would say he was an inspiration to do 2 degrees.

But I can't deny, I am a fan of the prequels, that those films at the least disappointed a generation.

Many people made the OT. Speaking to Gary Kurtz, he said he use to laugh when Irvin Kershner would ask Lucas to leave the set.

Looks like the feedback from the TFA movie, that some of that disappointment has been dissipated.

Finally, getting to look forward, rather than looking back.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
theforceuk said:
I feel TFA is separate from the first 6 as it's not the work of George Lucas, as any Star Wars film from now on will be for me. :)

We are more alike than you know my friend. :)

Joe, we need to stop ripping on George for the PT. If you guys hate them, that's fine (personally, I find it highly hypocritical to be blasted for not liking TFA when many of the same people trash the PT). However, this whole "Lucas didn't do it alone" concept is reaching for justification. It would be ridiculous to think that us Lucas purists think Lucas did everything from the concept to the concept art to the score to the effects to the direction to....everything else. Those other people took George's ideas, and used their expertise in their respective fields to "enhance" George's vision. But without George and his concepts, those people are all working on some other project. Star Wars wouldn't exist. As a PT fan (as opposed to 'apologist' ;) ), the one thing I agree with people is that he didn't listen enough to the experts in the appropriate fields to solidify his films. The PT had fantastic ideas - just missing the finesse that made the OT stand above all else.

What myself, Adam, and others feel is that what makes the SW films important to us is that the concepts are Lucas's. TFA, it can be argued, is Lucas's movie because it takes so much from his movies, but regardless, for us, there will be 6 SW movies - and then whatever number of Lucas inspired spin offs.

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah what Ian said. :lol:

In all fairness as well, from what I can gather is JJ wanted the best part of 2 years to develop the story and wright the script. But Disney said you have 6 months. :roll:

I find it ironic that everything leading up to this film has being about moving away from the prequal trilogy and only having George Lucas as a 'creative consultant' and going back to the old feel and then theirs nothing original.

I feel robbed in a way.

Jediknight3263827

Jedi Master
1 - Star Wars
2 - Empire Strikes Back
3 - Return Of The Jedi
4 - The Force Awakens

not even going to try and put the other 3 in any kind of order because they was all as bad as one another but i still own them and i still watch them. i dont hate them i just dont like certain parts of each film

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
1) ESB
2) ROTJ
3) ANH

(about a 20 mile gap)

4) TFA
5) TPM
6) ROTS
7) AOTC

I know there's a whole generation of people that were older when Jedi came out and hated it because of the Ewoks, and I respect that. But I think it's probably the most entertaining and visually impressive of the films, ESB just has a better story and some more iconic scenes. I'm glad so many people are enjoying the new film, but I honestly think it's just excitement. In 5 years I'd be very surprised if most of you are still so fond of it.

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

Dantooine

Padawan
1. Star Wars
2. Empire
3. Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Holiday Special
6. Battle for Endor
7. An Ewok Adventure
8. The Poo I had this Morning

Then those other three,though they don't exist to me. I think The Force Awakens is a better film than Jedi, but nostalgia won't let me shift the order around.

Regarding George Lucas and the OT - he was great when he was trying to make a good films, referencing other great filmmakers and storytellers. But as soon as Star Wars hit big his focus became the Star Wars universe, not cinema.

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
I've watched the new movie a few times now...but would be unlikely to alter this list no matter how many times I see it...as good as it is, and believe me, I love it...I just can't imagine it ever breaking into my top three...but it is still the best movie to be released during the past 32 years :D

1) THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
2) A NEW HOPE
3) RETURN OF THE JEDI
4) THE FORCE AWAKENS
5) REVENGE OF THE SITH
6) ATTACK OF THE CLONES
7) THE PHANTOM MENACE

Carl

phreatobite

Jedi Master
1. Empire
2. Jedi
3. Star Wars
4. The Force Awakens

Jedi was my first Star Wars experience hence it's placing higher than SW.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Joe said:
weasel said:
1-3 are probably interchangeable, i don't really have a clear favourite, or least favourite. I love them all.
If you insist on counting the prequels as SW films then it's probably....

5) A root canal without anaesthetic
6) A night getting ass raped by Charlie Sheen
7) Eating my own ****
8-10) any of the three abominations. They are all utterly utterly dreadful.

:lol: :lol:

It's at times like these when I remember why you are still a moderator!! :lol: :lol:

Edd said he wanted someone to TRY and keep the conversation high brow and out of the gutter! :lol:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
What can I say apart from I love ROTS, no typo and we've been here before on this subject rumbled on for a couple of weeks. Probably watched it more than any of the others since it was released. :lol:

Honest question, I won't slag your response, but I suspect I'll disagree with it entirely.........

Why, or which bits of ROTS make you think it's better than ROTJ?

The scene where Anakin 'turns' is genuinely the most underwhelming scene I have ever watched. The first time I saw it, my exact response, said out loud in a cinema, was "WTF? Is THAT it? That's ****ing shite!" I've never fancied myself as a writer but I'm pretty confident that if given ohhh 2 minutes, I could script a better scene. I will admit the scene isn't helped by Hayden Christiansen's inability to act, but that in itself only makes it worse. Lucas employed that cardboard cut out so his pish acting can't be excused. Then we come to Vader screaming like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert. I came close to walking out at that bit. One of the best bad guys in cinematic history and Lucas makes him squeal like a little girl!? WHY????
Those two scenes are inexcusable in my book. I just don't see how anything else in the film could even come close to making up for them. Add in JarJar ****ing Binks, stupid CGI and battle scenes that are almost impossible to follow cos they are so fast and I genuinely don't get how you place that ahead of Jedi.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. TFA

There is no more. I'm not a prequels apologist, I just ****ing hate them. They don't exist to me and between them and the dicking around with the OT George was no longer on my Christmas cards list. I'm sure he noticed.

ROTJ I have no issue with as I was 7 when I watched it and I cannot unpick the nostalgia from the film. Not even the ewoks annoy me.

x-pack

Grand Master
Weird thing is that I rarely watch the OT at all these days. Must be something to do with watching them daily in the early 90's :?

To mix it up (as pretty much everyone gives the same answer to this, and I agree) If it was in order of which films i've seen the most times over the last 5 years it would read something like this

1. ESB
2. Star Wars (only up to the escape from Mos Eisley. Get bored after that)
3. ROTS (I don't hate this film :wink: )
4. Jedi (seen it too many times over the years - more historical views than any other SW film)
5. AOTC (viewed purely to try and make sense of it. Inevitably fall asleep half way through)
6. TPM (and that's because it's always on telly)
7. TFA (seen it twice so this will be rising up the list soon enough :) )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom