Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

Richard_H

Grand Master
Initially I gave this movie 8/10, now I'd raise it to a 9. So that's where I'm coming from.

I remember the days of forums and TPM. It was brutal. I love the prequels and was in a huge minority back then.

I'm seeing the same now.

I have no problem people shitting on TFA. I have no problem people loving TFA. I have no problem people saying TFA isn't canon as no GL.

The problem for me is when people can't respect others' opinions and it degenerates into who can shout loudest and flippant comments / name calling. In this, and other threads, I'm seeing at least three different camps screaming their point and getting upset about others' views. If you guys stepped back and thought others are equally entitled to their viewpoints then there'd be less drama. The vast majority of people can agree with elements in both camps, and that's probably where the accuracy lies.

Weak points for me are Phasma, the Saber fights with Ren and the score. I love everything else. I appreciate others have different opinions and listened to them but they're my views.

Repeatedly posted the same thing over and over is getting very dull.

spoons

Grand Master
Dark Sith Lord said:
Jez said:
Good on you Lee and Ian for seeing it and enjoying it more than you ever thought you would.

That said, I laugh at the amount of bad mouthing i'm reading from some people on this forum and other newer forums with regards to this movie. Get off of the keyboard and go and do some good or something worthwhile, it'a a bit pathetic.

I've seen scores of post from the same people getting all analytical and arsey about plots holes and issues, i mean come on guys: Bond, Bourne, Armageddon, even bloody Love Actually! You can walk through plot holes in almost every movie (including every SW movie) if you really want to, why does it appear that you are going out of your way to wee on everyone else's chips?

The whole; how this and what that...
Take it from me, it takes years to train to be a pilot. It takes months and months to be converted from one Fast Jet or helicopter type to another. Yet no one questioned how Luke, a farmboy who had flown a Skyhopper was able to pilot an X-Wing and knew all about its navigation computer and weapons etc during his inaugural flight. Ludicrous, but thats ok cuz GL said so.
Taun Tauns, appear to be creatures of Hoth, but why do they freeze in the cold? Strange. No, its fine, GL said so.
Why did they have to enter the bunker to blow it up? Surely they could have just flown the stolen shuttle towards it and shot it up with the shuttles lasers? No, because GL said they needed to introduce the Ewoks (Phasma).

I saw a post from Ian asking why the whoops and hollers from Finn and Dameron were OK but Anakins Yippee wasn't. Thats because no one and i mean no one this side of 1947 says Yippee.

People who say that its not SW because of a lack of GL are deluded. Are you saying that every Disney movie for the last 50+ years isn't a Disney because Walt had nothing to do with it? Skyfall and Spectre and all of Brosnon's movies aren't real Bond films because Fleming didn't write them?

This is a movie.
The issue is we watched the original as kids and therefore they are everything to us. I bet we could pull apart all sorts of issues with the OT but don't because they are sacrosanct.
You ever wondered why the generation above us couldn't really give 2 shits about SW? It's cuz they were our age in 77 and pulled it apart back then.
Let's just not try to over analyse the movies or we'll never ever love the cinema again.

This is a great movie and a much needed shot in the arm for Star Wars.

Great post Jez!! 8) 8) Hope everyone is well BTW :)

This needs to be posted over on the RS thread as the level of negatively and nit picking over there is ridiculous.

Seconded!

Although Jez missed out my favourite OT plot hole. A covert mission to Endor with tons of camoflague but no one thought to throw a coat over C3PO :lol:

And as to a rehashed version of SW - isn't that exactly what ROTJ was? A rescue followed by blowing up the Death Star :wink:

The OT were ripped off anything and everything and we all love them. The bond analogy is great. There is a formula that is faithfully followed and it shouldn't matter who writes or directs. Skyfall is up there with anything that went before

Jez

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
Look at Jez... ****ing going all savage. Must have been around me too long. :lol:

jedisearcher said:
Jez takes the bad ass post of the day award! :lol:

Really? Thats me on a 2 or 3, its a good job none of you have seen me when i am ticked off. No one stands a chance then :twisted:

Dark Sith Lord said:
This needs to be posted over on the RS thread as the level of negatively and nit picking over there is ridiculous.

Well i've just done that Liam.
I've just pulled the you're pathetic pin of the forum grenade and thrown it in the chat room.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1125115&page=64

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
"I don't like TFA. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like Lucas. There everything is soft and smooth."

- Manakin Skywalker (AOTC)

Its great to see this film generate so much excitment. Lots of people talking about it in work today.

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Well about to see it in 2D just waiting to go in ...3D imo just ****s with the picture quality.
On my own this time so will take it all in.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Just saw it for the second time- so much better! Could take it in way more this time 8)

What a great film- score came to the fore way more for me second time around. I generally felt much more emotional throughout at the beauty of it all and that scene and it's immediate aftermath.

Phasma still poor. Shame.

Roll on Rogue One and Ep 8! Will see it in 2D next week sometime 8)

Joe

Grand Master
Yikes, I just went for a quick skim too :shock:

I had forgotten just how bad it can get on RS! In contrast I really like how positive the overall reaction has been to TFA over here on SWF, it's been great to talk about it here without a constant negative presence in every thread. I understand that everyone has an opinion but disagreeing with the majority (especially when their only crime is liking a film that you don't) is really kind of unnecessary and feels like you are pissing on someone elses chips just because you can.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Wow,

And there was me thinking that Jez was a doorman at Mothercare :D (joking buddy) ill bet anyone that i can find someone saying '"yippee" post 1947 and if i do i get to go see Jez when he is filming 'Expendables 4' with the other tough guys :D :lol:

That was a good post Jez, and very clear and concise. Fair play :D

Yippee

Dantooine

Padawan
I just watched it for the second time, this time in 2D. Knowing what happens certainly helped with the pacing as the first time it seemed to scoot along almost too fast. It's much better in 2D, but I found that stuff I wasn't too keen on first time round bothered me more this time - namely the mid section of the film.

I think the pirate bit and Maz Kanata's "tavern" are the low points, the only things I actually dislike. No idea why she was cgi, Lupita Nyong'o is a fine actress, put her in a costume and be done with it. Such a bland design for an alien, and I really didn't like her going all Yoda. I think it's because of the way that stuff was handled. Didn't like Rey's hallucination either.

I guess the pirate bit is supposed to be a slice of action and get Han Solo flying the Falcon again. It's cgi heavy and boring. They could've done anything, have a Star Destroyer lock on to them and they have to Hyperspace out of two ships... Or something. It drags in the same way that the trash compactor sequence is now a bit boring after watching it 100 times.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of this is seriously bad, I just didn't like it. Everything else is good, great even.

The plot made more sense. As I understand it the galaxy is mostly peaceful, but the first order are like terrorists (?) but on a much bigger scale. And the resistance are like a special task force to track them down. Maybe.

I think twice is enough for me. I'll probably pick up the Bluray when it lands, hopefully there might be an extended cut.

Also, did anyone notice Captain Phasma fighting in the background of Finn's Lightsaber fight with the stormtrooper? Can't be sure but it looks like a chrome stormtrooper.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I agree that the pirate bit was abit OTT, they could've gone in a ton of different directions there. Perhaps the pirate gangs are significant for the plot later?

Re the black stormtrooper I saw it as well and didn't connect that it might be Phasma but it certainly could be. It should have been her fighting Finn, that would've been very cool.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Alright, this is going overboard.

My final thoughts, as it appears pretty obvious the mob mentality is making me the main target in these last few posts about "negative" people.

I had an opinion going into this movie. I never said anyone had to share it, it was mine. And for two years, people have not let me be with that thought, but had to tell me how I was wrong, and trashed the PT (which I have few problems with after sorting out a couple of glaring issues). No one seems to get that a decade of trashing films some of us like is pretty much the same thing as me trashing TFA, but whatever.

When I posted my thoughts on this board, which I joined because it was a getaway from all the repro and U grade lovers on RS, I was dismissed because I hadn't seen it. Then I saw it, it confirmed my opinions going in, and I was dismissed because I went in with the wrong attitude. :roll:

It is OKAY to have a different opinion. A lot of my aggressive posting would have not happened if people just accept not everyone will love this movie. It's not "pissing on people's fun", as I have heard from several people, from long time members to forum moderators. Long posts outlining problems are in direct answer to the people who challenge you having the crime to not like the movie they suddenly adore. It's easy to say "I loved it", and that's all you have to say. Say "I didn't like it", and you have a majority of people jumping all over you. The long posts are defending something one shouldn't really have to defend at all. This talk of being tiresome, boring, etc., is no different to me than the constant trashing I have heard about the PT, nor is it any different to seeing all the jumping up and down in glee to those who hated it. It just happens I'm in the minority, so I get attacked for doing the exact same as everyone else, just from the opposite perspective.

But....I get it. I've ruffled some feathers, and on a discussion board, where people should be able to share opinions without having to all fall in the same line, those that didn't like it are apparently not welcome. It's been heard loud and clear. It seems I don't fit into the modern definition of fandom. No, I'm not crying about it, or running away, but I've not intended to offend people to this level. This whole experience has left me feeling really bitter and upset, and questioning whether I even belong in the community at large. So, have fun with the new movie guys. You'll like it better without my participation, apparently, so I'm going to give it to you. Cheers all, and thank you very much to the people who were accepting.

Ian

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Watched it again today and after accepting the fact that it is a reboot, probably the best ever infact and I really enjoyed it. Although every Star Wars film from now on will be in a different bracket from the first 6, it doesn't mean it's not Star Wars I was saying for years after ROTS, come on George Lucas just because you don't won't to make any more doesn't mean know one else can.

George Lucas messed up 2 out of 6 in my opinion, out of 25 bond films how many have been a mess? :lol:

We're gonna get some bad Star Wars films, but Disney will make a lot of good ones.

I will enjoy all of them, role on December 16. :lol:

I posted this the same time as Ian, so just a quick edit. Sorry you feel like this Ian and the forum is a better place with you around trust me. Does anyone know you that well on here? Don't let it get you down, you make some fantastic points. :)

Jez

Sith Lord
Ian I doubt you'll see this but don't knob off because of my post FFS.
It's a shame that you made that decision before reading a PM I sent you earlier about having differences of opinion but it shouldn't be anything personal.
Why don't we lock this one up and start again eh?

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Jez, I'm not blaming any one person at all. Not even those most vocal against me. It's an overall feeling from multiple people. I'd rather not be here causing trouble than upsetting people, and that's the truth. I'm opinionated, and said that right from the "welcome" thread I got when I arrived here a few months back. I just didn't expect this level of backlash.

Cheers, and I hope everyone has a good Christmas.

Ian

_Lee_

Sith Lord
You aint going anywhere Mr C :D Good thing here is that we can fall out here and theres hardly ever a grudge kept. No one wants you to leave, trust me. Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one. Man, im coming round to TFA more, especially as Sonny has gone mad on it but that doesnt make me a superfan. Differing opinions make the world go round. Jez stated his opiniin, and worded it well but its his opinion and thats it. It isnt gospel to the forum as a whole and it doesnt mean that what any one person says is right. Some love the new film,some half like it-others hate it, thats the way of the world and i myself even think that some people are getting way too protective of it - its a film ffs!!! Not real life !!!

Peace out :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom