Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
We often as people may disagree,
Another's view may be hard to see.
Though honesty is admirable it may cause a stir,
But that shouldn't cause a point of view to deter.
A hobby we love , that's our common ground,
Where a reflection of life it can be found.
There is laughter and tears, disappointment and joy,
In our search for that Grail, or that illusive toy.
Let's all raise a glass, In the season of cheer,
And hopefully Ian you will still be here :wink:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ian - I haven't posting on here much lately, not feeling the love for TFA at all, in fact I regularly break in to random outbursts of swearing at home e.g. this morning I woke up uttering "stoopid ****in JJ and his cock sucking James Bond cameo, how dare he force that on us, totally pulls you out of the SW universe when you realise it's Daniel Craig"

But after a nice cup of coffee I try not to let it bother me and come back on here and concentrate on vintage - I hear what you are saying about people reacting strangely when you don't throw your hands up and say you love it - everyone at work knows I'm a huge SW fan and getting bored off trying to justify why I don't like it.

As for participating on here - do not be put off, everyone is buzzing (ok we're not) and I am genuinely happy for the 99% that love it
(actually between you and me I think anyone that likes it is just a ***** and stupid and a JJ whore that loves, reboots and CGI so much they should get a room and have sex with it and have a reboot/CGI baby) and I enjoy reading about their actual reactions to the film as apposed to reading about the film.

Right I'm off to have a look at RS and see what they are saying

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Michael Sith said:
We often as people may disagree,
Another's view may be hard to see.
Though honesty is admirable it may cause a stir,
But that shouldn't cause a point of view to deter.
A hobby we love , that's our common ground,
Where a reflection of life it can be found.
There is laughter and tears, disappointment and joy,
In our search for that Grail, or that illusive toy.
Let's all raise a glass, In the season of cheer,
And hopefully Ian you will still be here :wink:

Beautifully put, as always, Michael :)

Ian, believe it or not, I'm with you on this. I don't hold with the line you must love this film. Love it or don't, your choice and you're still a SW fan either way. And as for plot dissection I can't see what's wrong with that. OK, if you're going to be an interminable bore and compare and contrast the training of a Samurai with Finn's lightsabre experience I may not read to the end of your post, but otherwise crack on. This is a forum. People discuss stuff on forums, it's what they're here for. And this would be a boring arse thread if it was one big circle-jerk about how good TFA is. Especially as it's so goddam obvious how good it is ;)

That said, your love of the PT is more mistifying to me :lol:

Dantooine

Padawan
Ian_C said:
I'm opinionated, and said that right from the "welcome" thread I got when I arrived here a few months back. I just didn't expect this level of backlash.

Cheers, and I hope everyone has a good Christmas.

Ian

Well, if you're that opinionated you will have to deal with people not sharing your opinion, yes? From what I've read you slated the film before you saw it because of a loyalty to Lucas, and because of that you weren't going to see it anyhow. Most people would find that ridiculous (myself included), so I guess you have to understand a certain amount of criticism. You then saw the film, didn't like it, but that's fine, at least you had an informed opinion.

If you like the prequels surely you will have grown a thick enough skin by now!

On the whole this is a very friendly forum compared to most, and this thread is about the new movie, which really has nothing to do with the shared passion of this forum. Be silly to leave bacause use of it.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
A bunch of grown men, who collect toys no less... acting like children, arguing over whether a film is good or not :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
naughtyjedi said:
Dantooine said:
It drags in the same way that the trash compactor sequence is now a bit boring after watching it 100 times.

what?

what?

WHAT?

Well said that man! How can anyone ever grow tired of this scene?! It's so iconic they even referenced it in TFA :)

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Who knew a new Star Wars movie would cause such conflict amongst the fans? The Prequels were almost universally despised, those who like them are in the minority - here the opposite seems the case. So, some people were disappointed with TFA. So what? Lots of people don't like New Hope, I don't let that spoil my enjoyment.

I've seen TFA twice now, and while it's a competent, well acted film and I wasn't shifting in my seat with boredom or cringing with embarrassment like I was with the Prequels, to me something was missing and I'm not sure what it was. I don't hate it, far from it - it just didn't set my world alight like I'd hoped. Maybe that's because I'm now a cynical 47 year old man and not a wide eyed 10 year old.

Anyway, this is a temporary blip. Come the New year all will be forgiven and everyone will be back in the Vintage section talking about yellow bubbles and Vectis. Until then, Merry Christmas all!

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ian_C said:
Jez, I'm not blaming any one person at all. Not even those most vocal against me. It's an overall feeling from multiple people. I'd rather not be here causing trouble than upsetting people, and that's the truth. I'm opinionated, and said that right from the "welcome" thread I got when I arrived here a few months back. I just didn't expect this level of backlash.

Cheers, and I hope everyone has a good Christmas.

Ian

Ian,

If I don't see you posting here again within one week,then you'll leave me with no choice & I'll find out your personal email address & bombard it with pictures of me in a Borat lime green mankini until you start posting again! :eek:

If you're not afraid my hairy Canadian friend,YOU WILL BE,YOU WILL BE!!!! :lol:

timbo72

Sith Lord
Watched it today and i loved it, kinda guessed Han might buy it, but never really expected it.........was pretty shocked when he died. Loved bb-8, nice to see ackbar and nunb. I watched the OT and this film made me feel 7 again, way better than the last 3 and up there with the OT. 8.5/10

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I went again this morning for a 3rd time. It was definitely my best viewing, the peak one if you like. Fairly empty cinema, sat right in the middle near the back, and alone. It was amazing, really took it all in this time. Totally absorbed all the action and let my eye wander around and enjoy all the incredible props, costumes and scenery. Also realised it is a great film in it's own right and if I had never seen a Star Wars film before I would be walking out thinking omg wtf have I just seen!? Just as my parents did when they walked out the cinema after Star Wars in 1978.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I find it gets better each viewing.

Do you think we should organise a SWFUK TFA cinema trip?

We could do one in north and one in the south.

Be happy to organise the one in the south.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
http://www.artofvfx.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-holochess-reel-by-tippett-studio/

Thanks for posting that up Grant, hadn't seen it before and after going to Phil Tippets studio a couple of years ago to meet him it's nice to see him getting involved in some stop motion again. He's quite a strange guy who even took my half eaten peppers home from a mexican restaurant that we went to?!

I'd heard he was going to do one scene in the film and guessed the chess one was it when it popped up during TFA.

Nice :D

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I have now joined the '2nd viewing' club!

Went with mum and dad and the rest of the family for a boxing day trip. I had seen it in 3D the first time so it was a good chance to compare with a 2D viewing - and I can 100% say that I preferred 2D for The Force Awakens. I also agree with all the others who noted that the movie gets better on a 2nd viewing. It already feels like a cosy, 'warm blanket' type movie, with lots of rewatchability.

Heith

Padawan
Well here's hoping that Disney have a Clone Wars style cartoon in the offing to fill in the gaps between ROTJ and this, I'll give you the last 20 minutes but too many plot holes for the rest to be enjoyable for me, I did try but found myself shaking my head too often, best bit was the lightsaber flying past Rens head to Rey, brought a smile to my face that

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
The lightsaber flying past Kylo is one of the standout moments I really dislike -

We don't see Luke having any real control over the Force until ESB - Wampa cave and even then it's not an easy task but yet here's Rey totally new to it being able to out pull Kylo - the same guy that can Force freeze a laser bolt or pull a man across a room into his waiting hand.

And yes I know Kylo is injured and apparently Rey has became instantly all super powerful after the unexpected 2 way mind meld with Kylo where all the secrets of the Force are revealed to her - or as I see it a very quick convenient way to give the audience oooo ahhhh moments before any real build up.

They moved the plot on way too quickly just for easy visual scores with cinema goers - too much too soon

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Well, only out after seeing this for the first time today!

Can't believe I avoided every spoiler to date so had no ideas or preconceptions going in. Nearly empty cinema, sat right in the middle...

Really enjoyed the film. :D Not much to add that hasn't been said here already...obvious plot similarities and character stories to the OT. Some underused opportunities with new characters..

Overall, I agree with what some have posted here about just enjoying the opportunity to see SW on the big screen again. I was giddy heading out the door to the cinema...missus thought I was mad.
For that reason alone i enjoyed the whole experience...the chance to switch off and immerse myself in a Universe that I've loved for years.

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Just back from my fourth viewing and first in 2D. Took my Mum and Dad who throughly enjoyed it too.

I agree with those who said it was better in 2D with no pesky glasses getting in the way.

Its just keeps getting better with every viewing despite the plot holes!! :D

I have faith that all will become clearer in EP8!

sith-smith

Grand Master
Second viewing yesterday and I definitely enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. Felt quite moved in many places and really thought I was definitely watching a Star Wars movie.

However I honestly don't think I'll be watching it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom