TFA Destroys Box Office

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Totally agree! Although I liked that low budget remake more than the Stalone version; felt more gritty and Dredd like. I don't care which way it goes in the future, just give me more Dredd!

Great to see TFA do so well. Don't know why it's important to me. Endorsement of a personal love of the film or just thrilled SW is well and truly back in headlines for all the right reasons? Either way, ****ing rocks.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Fastest ever to 300m in the States- reached by midday yesterday! 5 days, beating JW's record of 8. Will be tough to beat the Tuesday record though- Amazing Spiderman's opening day made 35m. Fingers crossed!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
x-pack said:
Yeh! Star Wars is back and there's more to come. I only wish people had embraced Dredd this much so we could have had more there as well. Can't win 'em all.

HE IS THE LAW!!!

I knew you'd say that :lol:

Love all things Dredd, comics and modern version mainly, not the Sly version so much but I didn't think it was terrible. The Angel gang were pretty awesome.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Tuesday US domestic box office broken.

The Amazing Spider-Man record on its opening day is crushed by TFA.

Surly this can't keep going.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" continues to crush records, picking up a smashing $37.3 million on Tuesday from the domestic box office. That passes the previous high-water mark of $35 million set by "The Amazing Spider-Man" in 2012.

With a North American haul of $325.4 million, "The Force Awakens" has now out-paced "Jurassic World" as the fastest film to cross $300 million, accomplishing in five days what it took the other film to achieve in eight.

"The Force Awakens'" massive domestic earnings were augmented by another $41.3 million that the film netted at the foreign box office on Tuesday, powering its global haul to $689.4 million worldwide. It will pass $700 million tomorrow and should move past $1 billion by the end of the week.

Over the weekend, the sci-fi epic scored a $248 million domestic debut and a $529 million global launch. That shot past the records set this summer by "Jurassic World" ($208.8 million domestic, $524.9 million worldwide bow).

tundra9

Sith Lord
While I don't care so much about how much the movie will bring in in terms of money, I do care that it means lots of new star wars movies, tv shows, games and toys.
Will media be saturated? That remains to be seen, but I have my fingers crossed some of it will be excellent!

Dark Sith Lord

Grand Master
Yes. Its great to see SW in the public domain again and in a postive way too. Long may it continue and hopefully it will breed a whole new generation of fans.

x-pack

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
So I take it, TFA has beaton all the prequels at the box office? :| :lol:

No-one knows. All records relating to the film were destroyed in a mysterious and massive fire :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Grant_C said:
Crazy.

They reckon 1 billion by Sunday.

That's not bad for a 4 billion investment

How the hell did Avatar and/or Titanic get to $2 billion?

It's about time Star Wars pulled it's fingure out.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
theforceuk said:
So I take it, TFA has beaton all the prequels at the box office? :| :lol:

No-one knows. All records relating to the film were destroyed in a mysterious and massive fire :lol:

Don't worry I've got carbon copies and will use them until the bitter end. :wink: :lol: :?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has stayed spectacular, dominating U.S. moviegoing on Christmas Eve with $27.1 million at 4,134 locations on its seventh day of release.

The space saga racked up $391.1 million in its first week — obliterating the record of $296.2 million set in June by the first week of "Jurassic World."

"The Force Awakens" is already the 22nd highest domestic grosser of all time. Its Christmas Eve grosses pushed it past the notable hits "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2" ($381 million), "Finding Nemo" ($380.8 million) and "Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith" ($380.3 million).

On Christmas Eve, "The Force Awakens" took in 13 times the amount of its closest rivals, Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Trip" with $2 million at 3,653 sites in its seventh day and Paramount's "The Big Short" with $1.7 million at 1,585 theaters on its second day in wide release.

Internationally, the seventh Star Wars has hit $422.4 million, bringing its global box office receipts to $813.5 million. The pic should surpass the $1 billion worldwide mark by the end of the Christmas weekend, setting yet another record as the fastest to hit the 10-figure milestone.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
"The Force Awakens" smashed the Christmas Day record with $49.3 million in the U.S. on Friday. That was double the earlier record of $24.6 million from "Sherlock Holmes," which opened on Dec. 25, 2009.

The second weekend of Disney's space saga is projected to wind up the three-day holiday weekend with as much as $140 million at 4,134 U.S. theaters, lifting its 10-day total to as high as $530 million.

"The Force Awakens" will demolish three records set by "Jurassic World" in June — highest second weekend ($106 million), highest 10-day total ($402.6 million) and the fastest film to go past the $500 million milestone (17 days).

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Now has its own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_records_set_by_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom