Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I was moved more second time around as well, weird innit :D

One more for me next week, IMAX 3D, then done as well (at least til the blu-ray appears).

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Took my boys to see it again this morning and every showing only had a few odd seats left down at the front, so we decided to get tickets for tomorrow morning instead. There were only a handful of decent seats left. It's doing incredible business!

Really looking forward to seeing it in 2D 8)

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Hopefully going again tomorrow morning :D

Plenty of food for thought having read various different theories of what developments are in the pipeline!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing things I missed first time around, such as obi wans voice in the Reys force vision :? Didn't catch that at all!

Also keeping a close eye out for the hand on Reys shoulder in that part too. Allegedly it's the scrap dealer?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Seen it a couple times now.

I feel it's a major grower. The things I didn't like in the first screening have all but evaporated.

ROTJ is my favourite film. ESB is the best made, but ROTJ is my favourite.

At my age now, if I had never seen a Star Wars film and they were all released at the same time, I would have preferred TFA to ROTJ.

Seems to be a big hit with kids. Guaranteed Star Wars life now until we become one with the force.

mr h

Padawan
Is Nien Numb's head too big? The shots of him and Ackbar in the teaser were one of the things I was most excited about. Pretty sure he didn't have a massive head in Jedi did he?

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Just seen it for the second time this trip with my 8yr old. He loved it and I enjoyed it even more this time. I felt quite flat after Han was killed first time I watched it but knowing it was coming softened the blow somewhat and enabled me to enjoy the ending. 9/10 for me. 8)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Also forgot to mention cinema was nearly full nearly 2 weeks in. Star Wars ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
********** SPOILERS ALERT *********************

The first 15 minutes or so were good, mystery and intrigue aplenty and we were back in Tatooine.
I was starting to think that Disney have pulled it off ( how wrong I was) .
Then my interest suddenly began to wain, despite seeing new views of the Falcon, Han and Chewie, C3P0 and Leia.
I think it was the new characters including the boxy clunky looking stormtroopers, the worst and least convincing sith lord of all the films he was so laughable and even worse when he took his helmet off. Rey and the renegade stormtrooper were very poor too - they should be in Harry Potter films.
As the film began to unfold I kept on thinking 'this seems familiar' then I realised about 75% of the ideas of Ep IV are in this new film. By the time we got to Luke I had my coat and was just preying for the credits to roll….
Looking at reviews it seems to me that anyone under the age of 20 seems to think that Awakens is the greatest of all the SW films and that irritates me even more. I might send a warning shot across the bows and ask for a refund off Disney.
My rating for this film is 3/10 and the worst of the SW films, I'm devastated, but least I have my Blu Ray player.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Blimey! Thought Rey and Finn were great- especially Rey. Strong acting from everyone throughout- so much better than the lifeless, wooden dross that was served up in the prequels. I really don't care that a lot of the story follows a similar path to IV - it's a fab rebirth for the franchise and only the beginning of a whole new story arc.

Saw it yesterday for the third time, 2D for the first time. Much better in 2D- lovely and sharp. Noticed properly for the first time the shaft of light from the sun falling across the bridge with Han and Kylo- beautiful shot!

Definitely up there with the original 3 for me, but obviously doesn't have quite the same childhood emotional, captivating gravitas of the OT.

Will probably have a break from it now until it neats the end of its run.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I've seen it twice now and must agree with others that it does improve even more on second viewing. :D

I'm still disappointed with the score though as none of the new themes come through to me at all, even the prequels had some excellent new music in them but this just doesn't seem to have it. Maybe that's another thing that only George Lucas can get right with his vision of the movies as he would have had to sign off the score for each film and had input into it.

I do think JJ has made a very entertaining movie that does the best it probably could to please both sets of fans (new and old), but George got the whole thing going and really set everything up amazingly to begin with. It's just a shame that he's now talking about "selling his kids to white slavers" and to me is just coming across as jealous of the praise TFA is receiving. He made the decision to sell the universe and should just move on with what interests him now, it's not like he'll ever be forgotten for Star Wars but I'd rather that he's not remembered for being sour.

On to the next one(s) and I'm hoping for a better soundtrack next time around.

Ian

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, read his comments and he doesn't come across very well at all. He's since apologised for the slaver comments and rightly so- very poor taste. As you say, it's a shame he's starting to look all bitter. It was his decision to sell afterall :roll:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just seen it again in 2D. I really like it. Wasn't sure first time round, think the 3D spoiled it. If you just sit back and watch it it's a really good film. The atmosphere is right, it's funny, sad and exciting. It's a Star Wars film! I can't wait for the next ones. As a cynical 42 year old it feels good to enter that world again, I never felt that with the prequels. You can pick many faults with it or relax and go with it. I thought the ending was brilliant! Good times.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
I've seen it twice now and have to say it's better the second time. I thought it was great the first time but when you watch it a second time you are unencumbered by the anticipation and hype of the movie and can relax into watching it for what it is...a magnificent kids film.

You could tell Ford's acting pedigree a mile off, where Boyega and Ridley tended to over act, Ford was subtle and did just enough to get his parts a cross in a convincing manner without over playing it.

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
Finally got round to watching the film and I was blown away!
The best film I've seen for years, I think JJ really managed to capture the feeling of OT.
Some of the space ship scenes were breathtaking, ford was great as we're the new cast,
Before the film I was grumbling about the £12.50 ticket price but now I think I'd probably
go again and I can't say that about any other film.
I haven't read all of this thread yet but I find it hard to believe there are people moaning :roll:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bootyhunter said:
I haven't read all of this thread yet but I find it hard to believe there are people moaning :roll:

:roll: really

Maybe it's because it's a thread about the new SW movie and people will have different opinions, SWFUK has always encouraged opinion not sheep like behaviour so you might want to reconsider the :roll: attitude

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
No attitude mate I just thought it was great and was somewhat surprised by some of the comments, I don't want to start any more rows in this thread :D
I guess we are all different here with different expectations, I was initially very dubious of Disney and how this thing would turn out but I thought it was great.
No offence intended..

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I think the only great parts of the movie were ;

1. Han, Chewie, Leia , the droids and Luke back.
2. The Falcon and some great interior shots.
3. The buried in the sand Star Destroyer.

I really can't think of any other bits since it was all done better in 'A New Hope'.
I think the film should have been from the perspective of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie with the new characters slowly being introduced rather than Han etc playing almost cameo roles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom