Storm Trooper FO replica suits?.

Sinniberg

Padawan
Hello group, I'm back with another query if anyone can help.

For years I've dreamed of having a replica Storm Trooper suit

I liked the original Storm Troopers but I've really fallen for the new FO suites with the new style helmet.

I watched a video on Youtube where the Anovos company were announcing/releasing a new suit to coincide with the new TFA film and I thought my time had come(!) but I then came across a video of someone unboxing one of the new Anovos suits and I was shocked to see that a) the plastic was so thin and flimsy and b) it came in so many parts and c) many of the parts required rubbing down(rough edges etc) and drilling.

At the end of the video he turns to the camera and smiling but semi-shocked says "well, tonnes of work to put it together"!.

I then watched an unboxing of an original Storm Trooper suite made by Shepperton Design Studios. This initially seemed to be a slightly better quality but as the video progressed little cracks also started to appear and when the review of the suit as worn came on it was another disappointment with poorly fitting parts. It seemed to be a "one size fits all" and although the reviewer acknowlegded he wasn't the biggest of people I felt the suit just wasn't worth the £600 price tag.

My idea of a replica suit would basically be a two-piece suit(legs + body) plus helmet

Apologies if this has been debated before(I had a quick look but couldn't see anything) but can anybody shed any light or hope on the issue of a real life replica Storm Trooper FO suit?.

Many thanks once again.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Anovos are currently the only company that offers the First Order armour.

As the armour is plastic, it's going to look flimsy but as an owner of an original OT set it's very durable once built.

The kits are built to your own size and build, so modifications may be required.

Building a kit like this is no easy job, so best to get help if you can.

Btw, Shepperton armour isn't from original moulds as they state.

Sinniberg

Padawan
Hi Mark, thanks for the info and help.

Yes, I visited the Anovas facebook page and discovered a little more there.

It seems as if they will offer a full suit, ready to wear but I've left a post for clarification.

I was aware that there are two types of helmet on offer - the cheaper plastic one and then the fibreglass version but having watched an unboxing helmet review the cheaper option just looks like a shell with the adjustable head piece from a hard hat!.

As an ex-motorbiker my idea of a helmet is a snug,padded, well-fitting helmet.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the full suit version turns out.

Cheers.

MarkG

Jedi Master
I'd go with the plastic lid as that is what they were in the films. Even the original OT ones were like that too.

Fibreglass is aimed at the collectors that display only... also the price is vastly different.

Just look at their Kylo lid.. $700 for a FG, when the black series voice changer £70 jobbie with a few mods can look just as good.

Sinniberg

Padawan
That's a fair comment about the Kylo helmet!.

I appreciate the thought about authenticity but for $1800 I would want a seriously good suit.

I recieved a reply from Anovos a few hours ago but sadly it was the usual "we can't say anything" but I did notice an awful lot of unhappy people who put down huge prepayments months ago and still have nothing to show for it.

This is the reply I recieved " Hello, Paul! We are not able to discuss the prototypes which are in progress, but hope to release a kit in 2016 to accompany the helmets which are now available".

I don't doubt the initial set up costs of moulds, research & development etc but personally I just feel that they're ripping fans off with a cheap to make but vastly over-priced suit.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Yup, looks like they are heading the same way as all the other licensees from the past.. MR,EFX etc etc all promised, took deposits and either never delivered or took ages to actually produce something.

There are a fair few fan made versions of the armour in the works, so might be worth holding off till they come to fruition. Will more than likely be cheaper but better quality.

As for the helmet... plenty of decent versions already out there.

Sinniberg

Padawan
Well, I thanked them for replying and said that there was a huge market for a good quality but affordable ST suit and that I would leave that thought with them.

To my surprise, they replied back and said that "we are definately working on it"!.

That's very interesting about the fan made suits and it will be interesting to see what's produced.

Is there anywhere to follow the progress of these projects?.

MarkG

Jedi Master
There's a few on the RPF (Replica Prop Forum) that are in progress but most are being kept low key for copyright reasons.

Be interesting to see what price range they do offer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom