Talk about new Star Wars movie, do not read if you have NOT seen it

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Viewing 4 today ( yep 4 ) I had never been to see the same film more than twice in my life before !!!

What I got from today was that the interplay between Han and Rey really sparkled. Shame that that combination was so limited. I picked up how many times they shared each other's lines and/or finished the sentences, suggesting that they were thinking exactly the same throughout their interplay. I wonder where that leads to ultimately. Rey had the instincts to pilot the Falcon, she knew almost what Han was thinking while he was thinking it & they bonded very very quickly. Along with that unexplained cuddle with Leia that Rey has ( which given they had never met suggests something ) and how Ren notes that Rey thinks of Solo as the father she never had...brings me back to thinking she is a solo and Ren's sister or a Han Clone ?

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Was interesting to talk to the children in my class today about the film. Out of 22, 15 of them have seen it. All of them absolutely loved it and several said it was the highlight of the Christmas hols. Around half the staff have seen it, all loved it apart from one who was VERY picky about certain things. Several more said they were going to see it in the next few days and a few said they were going to see it again.

I can't remember another film since ET and the OT that had this much impact on the general public. A lot of people saw Skyfall, but it wasn't on this scale, with TFA set to pass Skyfall's UK Box office in the next week or so, in around half the time.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
I'd not hesitate to recommend the Novel of the film. I have the unabridged Audiobook myself and it adds a whole new depth to the film ( which as i said yesterday I have seen 4 times )

As is often the case with novels of films there is a whole layer of the story which is not on the screen and it adds so much.

Spoilers; in the Rey v Ren part of the book, the dark side of the force calls on Rey to kill Ren and for a moment she considers it but then turns away, I am not sure that came across in the film. Was more like the ground opening up prevented further fighting...

Also, be warned there is a potential romance brewing between Rey and Poe !

Lonebudman

Jedi Knight
I watched the film on New Years Day in 2D,there was only about 20 people watching and I got to sit right at the back in the centre.

The inner child in me and the 41 year old me absolutely loved it! More importantly my 9 year old son loved it! It had everything a Star Wars movie should have and I feel the movie has fulfilled what it set out to do.

You could see what was coming regarding Han but it didn't lessen the shock,I was devastated!

I don't mind the similarities to a 'A New Hope' as I think it's great that todays kids get to have a similar experience as we did at their age.
Although the Original Trilogy has aged well,to a youngsters eyes it looks dated,same as putting an Atari 2600 on screen in front of them.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
SW, ESB and ROTJ are dated like a fine wine they just get better when compared to all these new films gets released.
I'm sure the kids raving about TFA will learn when they get a bit older!!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
"J.J. Abrams responded to criticism over narrative choices in Star Wars: The Force Awakens in a podcast recorded with The Hollywood Reporter this week. When considering accusations that the film relied too heavily on plot elements found in the original Star Wars trilogy, Abrams acknowledged the film could come off to some fans as a "rip-off," in Abrams' words. "I respect every reaction. I completely see that is a problem for some people," he said. "It was obviously a wildly intentional thing that we go backwards in some ways to go forwards in the important ways."

Abrams mentioned that the original Star Wars films themselves were based on classic storytelling themes that heavily influenced creator George Lucas. "Those simple tenets are, to me, by far the least important aspects of this movie," Abrams said. "They provide the bones that were well proven long before they were used in Star Wars. What was important to me was introducing a brand new chapter, brand new characters, using relationships that were embracing the history that we know to tell a story that is new."

Amen, JJ! 8)

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
By the way, I loved the film and did not mind the call backs to the original films at all. I actually found them smartly done. You know, history does repeat itself.

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Just waited a couple of weeks to watch this movie. Don't know why, maybe some disappointment, don't know... Watched it today and I'm mildly happy. I don't like Kylo Ren's voice, don't like the Snoke character (Golem) and the whole idea like episode IV is redone.... Do like the original movies, because they are really story telling :D This is just a commercial Disney project, maybe it would be better stopping after episode IV... :|

Palifan

Sith Lord
For me if you were going to stop after the original trilogy I'd probably say after episode V :eek:

Palifan

Sith Lord
Mr. Tie said:
Palifan said:
For me if you were going to stop after the original trilogy I'd probably say after episode V :eek:
Wouldn't miss the epic final battle... :D

I know, it would suck if it really did end with ESB, talk about unfinished business :lol:
I do think however that the Jedi was the beginning of the end for me with the way things were going. It's certainly not a bad film or anything like that but it just lost it's way for me and I find the whole whole Jabba part way to long and unnecessary to the plot really (although we did need to see how Han got back with the group), not to even mention those teddy bears! Maybe a better word for it is unfocused in places (like pretty much all of the prequels), and could have been made to work better as a whole.

Still, as you say we did get that great final battle between Luke and Darth as well as the space battle. I know it's not all that bad but I just remember coming out of the cinema in 83 and not having that buzz about it.

Ian

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
Palifan said:
Mr. Tie said:
Palifan said:
Wouldn't miss the epic final battle... :D

I know, it would suck if it really did end with ESB, talk about unfinished business :lol:
I do think however that the Jedi was the beginning of the end for me with the way things were going. It's certainly not a bad film or anything like that but it just lost it's way for me and I find the whole whole Jabba part way to long and unnecessary to the plot really (although we did need to see how Han got back with the group), not to even mention those teddy bears! Maybe a better word for it is unfocused in places (like pretty much all of the prequels), and could have been made to work better as a whole.

Still, as you say we did get that great final battle between Luke and Darth as well as the space battle. I know it's not all that bad but I just remember coming out of the cinema in 83 and not having that buzz about it.

Ian
You are right, Ian. ROTJ is a bit unfocused and those Ewoks are terrible, guess they better could have focused on the emperor's story and the relation between Luke and Vader.

Although TFA is not all too bad, it's my opinion that the story line is thin and sometimes unfocused. After watching it I got the feeling that they had put together the movie with several elements from the first original movies. A cheap feeling I must admit. I hope for a better sequal with a more developed story line and more character development. But to be honest, Disney can still destroy the whole franchise. It's big money that rules the world... :cry:

Palifan

Sith Lord
I also feel that now the first film of the new trilogy is out of the way they will have the chance to go a bit deeper with the series. It must have a been such a difficult task to try and please 3 different age groups at the same time (Original trilogy, Prequel and then new viewers), it does make me see why the took the approach they did. I really wasn't sure on a lot of it the first time around but as so many have said the second viewing was just pure entertainment without the stress of seeing which direction they were going to go in.

I've recently been listening to these podcasts that are very good and gives a different point of view on the story elements of all of these films. They feel quite unbiased and opened my eyes to a few things ( it's where I got the word unfocused from to refer to some parts of the series as it seemed to sum it up just right). If you get the time I think they're worth a listen :D

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28523

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom