New SWFUK Facebook Group

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I joined .but I am not gonna put up with any **** on that page. It should run just like the forum. Tired of all the high prices, blow hards and show boats.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:
I joined .but I am not gonna put up with any **** on that page. It should run just like the forum. Tired of all the high prices, blow hards and show boats.

Don't think anyone will put up with dick swinging competitions.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
tiefighterboy said:

Don't think anyone will put up with dick swinging competitions.

Most of the groups are either sales (high priced) or that^^^^^..and maybe that is what FB is good for.....I run a group and it is dead most of the time as I am a fan of neither.

andy x-wing pilot

Jedi Knight
jedisearcher said:
Sorry, crap idea.

SWFUK joins the world of deleted posts and lost information, crap search facility, pointless rules that can't be enforced, drama every day, even more drama every day, childish pricks and tumbleweed forums ...

Aren't there enough FB groups, and whilst I can see membership on here going up a bit, the number of posts will fall a lot. No one looked at RS recently?

Hope it proves me wrong but can't see how it will.
Well Said That Man

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
andy x-wing pilot said:
jedisearcher said:
Sorry, crap idea.

SWFUK joins the world of deleted posts and lost information, crap search facility, pointless rules that can't be enforced, drama every day, even more drama every day, childish pricks and tumbleweed forums ...

Aren't there enough FB groups, and whilst I can see membership on here going up a bit, the number of posts will fall a lot. No one looked at RS recently?

Well Said That Man

If posts on here fall then who's to blame? Also who cares the hardcore members will still be posting here.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just have to see how it goes I guess. I worry that something that would have been posted here ends up getting posted there, is relevant for 15 mins and then falls off the face of the earth.

Hopefully not, but time will tell.

And Ben, that joke was ****ing brilliant, old or not. Well worth getting the boot for although baffling that you did!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
andy x-wing pilot said:
jedisearcher said:
Sorry, crap idea.

Well Said That Man

If posts on here fall then who's to blame? Also who cares the hardcore members will still be posting here.

Hopefully yes.

itfciain

Grand Master
I had a perfect example today of why the forums should never underestimated. A chap posted up pictures of a card that Toy Toni is selling on eBay and said it was fake. It wasn't, it wasn't even a TT. The thread got into this, exactly what the card was (a Hybrid BBG) and why it, and other cards Toni had were up for sale right now were not 'fake' or even non-factory sealed. It was a good thread - although the OP did come across looking a bit ignorant with his insistence that the card was 'fake'. In the end, although given lots of info by a number of people, the OP just decided to delete the thread - so everything was all gone.

You can't do that on a forum and thank god for that - it is bad enough that posting info onto FB is not going to stay about for long as the posts revolve around too quickly but when all you effort can just go at the touch of a button then to be honest it is just not a resource that can be used in that way.

Anyway, I think it is good to have a page up and am sure it will be a popular group on FB. I see that the admin are the same and that both IanC and Todd have joined so plenty of guys ready to 'correct' people's paths if they stray down the wrong one.

FB has added a whole new dimension to vintage collecting and love it or loathe it, it is here to stay for a while yet

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Exactly Iain, your example sums up perfectly why FB can and will never replace forums. I've already had several people ask me why the forum username post has disappeared - because that's what happens on Facebook! It's there one minute, and then 20 people post something and it gets buried. This will never change, Facebook is not a place to store things, it is a place for "now."

So as above, as long as you guys keep using the forum too, it will remain :)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Facebook will come and go like every other trend has, it's only here until something comes along to replace it, which will be based on the tech popular in the future. Younger generations are already saying they have no interest in FB as it's for old people :lol:. Facebook use amongst 13 -17 yr olds is down something like 25% in the last year alone.

Think about it if you were 13 again would you be using something your parents think is trendy?

It's true that some forums have taken a knock thanks to FB but as said earlier SWFUK hasn't, largely due to the fact it's a relaxed community and a valuable resource.

Jez

Sith Lord
Is this an attack on Echo Base??? :D
latest?cb=20091202184047.jpg

I've been added by someone already :)
Worth a try Edd. I do think it might get some more traffic here, but i also fear that we might see a slight decline in forum sales posts etc.

On a positive, it might bring some of us closer, "ah Facebook friends"
56496549.jpg

Great joke Ben

Joe

Grand Master
I think the nicest part about the new group is that SWF members are putting usernames to faces (and real names) after such a long time. Many of the people that have popped up in the SWF group I haven't seen at all in the other groups!

Just wanted to say something about it all though and Edd's stated similar on FB - don't think for one moment that the group is replacing the forum or that you should start posting things over there that you would usually post here. SWF is without a doubt the last really active Vintage forum out there and we don't want that to change, so continue to enjoy the forum as you have been doing till now :)

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
I don't think I'm going to join. I joined a few other FB groups and just got tired of all the updates. But that's not to say others won't enjoy it.

I will say that as someone who does this for a living, if you think setting up a FB group won't reduce interaction on here, you're crazy. People aren't going to post the same thing twice for the same audience. Every post a SWFUK member makes on FB is a post that could have been on here but won't be.

Could I suggest that you don't allow sales threads on the FB page?
I think most FB group members are on there to buy stuff, so if you let members post links to their new sales threads but not actually show the individual items, prices etc, that would encourage any new users you attract through FB to join the forum.

JimboUK1979

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
SublevelStudios said:
Mr-shifter said:
Sent you a join request.

I got thrown out of my first group yesterday. Seems the loose variant group doesn't have a sense of humour. I must spend too much time on swfuk.

What happened mate? :cry: Didn't see anything go down yesterday.

I used my Jeremy Beadle joke and applied it to the photo of the boba fett with the short shot hand.

The original went: Jeremy Beadle has a small dick, but then on the other hand, it's massive.

I thought I was being funny. Within 10 seconds the comment was gone and I was out. Perhaps something got lost in translation.

I'm pretty sure on the same thread I'd got a horrific Beadle joke typed in ready to fire out but I **** out at the last minute and deleted it! Lol! Whatever happens to free speech?!

Alas-1

Padawan
I don't actively post on the forums, not since early 2000's.
Facebook is an up close and personal way of collecting.
No hiding behind usernames...
Forums are - for me - the difference between Facebook and Twitter. People are different and I think they come across that way.

Twitter folks are different, act different I think. Facebook is a friends and family type deal... Facebook groups are ONLY active because it is a top notch app and keeps you notified flawlessly. If they weren't that good on that side of things, it wouldn't stand a chance...

I don't really know what my point is I'm trying to say but I'll end with this. I haven't check for spelling errors and ****... and the Jeremy beadle joke was a ****in cracker! But...

Forums NEED to stay!
If you all the above good on you!

Carl.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom