Anyone ever open a MoC ?

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Just a curious question, perhaps before the recent spikes in prices did anyone ever open a vintage MOC post say 2000 ?

I have one bad beater card & eveytime I look @ the sucker I want to open it. I never will, but has anyone given in ?

No judgement or anything, just curious.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
In my early days as an adult collector, I opened 4-5 cards to complete my loose collection, including an A-Wing Pilot. Then once more between 2000-2003, when I got frustrated looking for a complete Ewoks Wicket. Since then, I have done a total 180, and am embarrassed at those earlier days of my collecting. It's one of the reasons I preach about educating new collectors, as it was barely mentioned to me back when I did it, and I simply didn't realize the harm I was doing. No way would I consider it now.

Ian

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I've opened 3 or 4 over the years. A trashed AT-ST Driver that cost me £7.57. A Lando General that cost me £40 when loose were already commanding that (circa 2002) and a couple others along the way. Last was probably 2004.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
POTF Romba and Warok in 2003 when i bought both for cheaper than loose versions. Also opened a Trilogo Amanaman the same year to complete my collection-bashed up bubble though.

Oh, and my son opened a 20 back Obi Wan which i left on the dining room table in 2000. He was only 3 and i opened the parcel up and put it on said table. Next thing i know, he is playing with a minty Ben :roll:

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I had a Logray with a very cracked bubble I got in a lot. I needed a loose Logray. Off it came.

rdpla

Jedi Knight
I got absolutely roasted by members when i mentioned this a while ago..
but heres the thing..
i listed a carded takara stormtrooper for 250, with a cracked bubble on top, too small to come out, no one touched it..Card is good
I look and see loose versions are selling for between 250 and 300...When will this madness end

Robert.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
It's not unusual for beater MOCs to go for the same as loose figures. It shows how many people are aware that no bad how low grade the MOC is it's still wrong to open it up.

I don't recall opening one since 1984. I have had a hankering to open one, just to have that thrill again, to see if it brought back any deeply buried memories and to get that genuine "new figure" smell. It hasn't been hard to resist, mind.

I had the "best" next thing, though. Picked up a cut card (size of bubble only) Imperial Commander at a FF last year. Only bought it as I needed a mint Imp Commander. Off he came.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
It's not as much fun as you'd think. Not like the glory days when you'd rip it from the card in youthful abandon. You are concerned to keep the integrity of the card, do you slice the bubble, do you remove it completely? And there's definitely a big feeling of guilt, the fact its stayed sealed for so long it's a very over rated experience.

Smells good though.

yoda

Sith Lord
I have to admit I also have had that feeling of wondering would it bring back the excitement of opening for the first time a new figure. Now and again I sometimes think of it but i have always held off doing that. I don't think it would bring any feelings or excitement back because I would know it's now a collection piece not a new figure I wanted as a young boy to start playing and having battles with :)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I opened a set of the 1995 Hasbro "Classic Edition 4 Pack" figures because they simply never come up for sale loose, and the sealed set still only sells for about £30. Never opened anything vintage though.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
I opened a Glasslite Leia and C-3PO moc (but those where really beaters with crushed/cracked bubbles) and i couldn't find a complete leia with silver jawa blaster.

But both figures had issues, Leia's cape was stuck to the cardback and when i got it off it was all discoloured from the cardback. The C-3PO had the tube inside (in wich the arms attach) installed incorrectly at the factory and caused a gap in the torso at one shoulder....

So opening a moc doesn't garantee you a mint figure.

These are the only 2 moc's i opened as a collector.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Only thing this subject opens up is a can of worms. :lol:

I spent most of the 90's trying to find a MOC until eBay came along, once I got hold of one in 1999 the thought of opening it never crossed my mind. I compare the feeling to Rey in TFA I heard rumours you could get MOC's but had never seen one!

x-pack

Grand Master
Last one was a Leia poncho in about 1991. Paid £3.50 for it moc. No explanation really. Just wanted the loose figure. Still have the card and figure.

TEEBO1979

Padawan
I have never opened a moc but I have removed a gun from one which the figure had fallen out of due to a cracked bubble. I have been meaning to send them to UKgrader and have it placed in a case, figure and its card side by side.

stormcab

Sith Lord
I'm baffled why I never thought to keep my cardbacks as a kid, but I guess that's kids for ya. When I started collecting MOCs in my late teens (mid 90s), MOCs they remained. I guess we have to thank all the "older" people, who were probably in their teens and twenties when the movies came out, for giving us all the MOCs and boxed ships/playsets we have today. Thanks folks :D

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Guilty! :oops:

When I first started to put my loose collection back in 2009,I was concerned with repro weapons especially for the last 17 so I opened a Lando General & R2 Pop Up.I also opened a Ree Yees,Hoth Rebel Soldier,Rebel Commando & Rancor Keeper which was a real beater! :(

I certainly wouldn't do it now!

Mark

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom